It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danish zoo kills 18 month old giraffe in front of public: feeds body to lions

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
This just underscores the idea that zoos and aquariums are an antiquated endeavor and, sadly, not always concerned about the animals first and foremost.

And, apparently, this zoo is run my a psychopath.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I think the zoo could have made a better decision, taking into consideration there were other zoos and conservations who were willing to take the giraffe despite its breeding issues.

Well that's life people and animals die everyday due to unfairness and unfortunate events.

(post by thenaturalist removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
"We have no problem with this at all!" - the lions

Seriously though, this isn't a big deal IMO. If anyone here thinks the zoo officials didn't weigh all the options and made the best decision they saw fit I think they're wrong and no nothing about giraffes, zoos and maintaining healthy captive animals. I'd say their biggest mistake was not realizing the backlash that would come.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Last time I checked, a Giraffe is not livestock. I believe that is what they are usually fed, not other Animals of the Zoo. So to me that is the problem here.

At the same time though, if the choice is made to kill the Giraffe, right or wrong, the meat should not be wasted if one must think logically about the situation.

I don't understand why it has to be done in front of the public though, nothing positive comes out of that. Course to be fair, I have watched lions eat a baby Giraffe alive on a wildlife TV show. Not right in front of me though.

You have a choice to not watch I guess. The natural world is very brutal and cruel. I always felt bad for the animal that was taken down by a pack, but that is just the way it is.

I understand that they publicly feed the lions all the time, I've seen it myself as a kid, but not a Giraffe, just seems like it should be carried out behind closed doors or during early hours prior to opening.

With that being said, I am 100% against the idea of a Zoo anyway. I have seen the conditions of some, and I left feeling sick to my stomach. That goes for the Circus too, just more exotic animal exploitation.

I refuse to ever go to a Circus again as well after watching this jerk repeatedly beat this group of White Tigers. I honestly kept hoping they would turn on the puke bag.

Basically, I am in support of Wildlife sanctuaries where these animals are able to roam free, and live in the closest thing to their natural habitat.

Much better then all cramped up on concrete while stepping in their own feces. Every Zoo on this planet should be closed down in my opinion. Well, that is about it. ~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
For the record, I don’t really agree with the concept of zoos, but here’s my opinion on this subject.

People who say that this is the circle of life and that animals die every day seem to lack the ability to think laterally. Yes animals consuming animals is a part of nature, but are these zoos natural environments? No! Are these people visiting these animals in their natural environment? No! Was this animal killed by another animal in a natural setting? No! Once we take these animals in to captivity, it no longer becomes let nature takes its course, because we have removed an element of natural environment and replaced it with a man made environment where the duty of care falls to us. These animals are then subject to the same ethics as any other animal in captivity, because it is not a natural environment.

If these people had viewed this in the middle of Africa, where both animals were in its natural environment, where sometimes the hunter gets its prey, sometimes the prey escapes, of course that is fine, it’s not fine for zoo keepers who are entrusted to look after the welfare of these animals to then kill a healthy animal and feed it to lions under the guise of “insert BS PR excuse” and undertone of “its natural” and then “free thinkers” on this so open minded and logical forum say “yeah this happens every day...I see it on Youtube because I’ve been all over the world....on Youtube”. NO! It happens every day in the wild, once you remove the animals from that setting and place them in to captivity you then adhere to the welfare of the animals, do can’t do what you like with the animals because it MAY happen in nature, you have removed them from that setting! You can’t with a straight face kill and feed animals to each other and say its natural, because that is not natural, the killing is not natural, the way the lions receive their food is not natural and raises serious questions as to the mindset of the zoo owners, as well as the mindset of certain ATS users. If Zoos want to pursue this path, then they should be renamed Exotic Abattoirs and no longer come under the guise of preservation.

Zoo = Not natural, must adhere to upholding the welfare of the animals on show as paramount!
Wild = Natural, anything goes according to the law of nature!

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

Giraffes are exotic animals. Cows are livestock. I agree with you on your post.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by IBelieveInAliens

Actually our kids love all the animals in the zoo. They go "aww" when they see a baby animal, they say "cool" when the tigers are fed and they show a great deal of care when they are lucky enough to pet a tiger cub.

However the world is not black and white. Children also think its bloody cool when they get to see how an animal is butchered. I would actually think some of them could grow up to work as a butcher (I know, what heartless bastards they must be. But I do like a well carved steak from quality meat. So I need a butcher or two around here.) Maybe some of them might just find it interresting enough to start thinking of becomming a veterinarian? (I know, I know, what a heartless little son of a b* eh?. Finding it interresting to operate on an animal?! I dont need anyone to save my dog. Ill just blow its head of when it gets sick)

Listen its pretty straight forward. Kids will be kids, they love baby animals, they love explosions, they love fast cars and they love a right bloody mess if it is presented to them in the correct way. Its not like they killed the thing infront of them. They just did the autopsy infront of whoever was interrested and willing to watch. Anyone who felt they did not want to was free to leave or even stay away. And as I said before. The autopsy was done and presented in a very interresting way, which had several kids attention in a positive way. Some went "eeeew!" You know.. in that way a kid says eew when its kinda gross, but stil kinda cool. Others uttered the words "cool" and "nice". (Well, the danish equivilants of said words).
The guy in charge of the autopsy had a very positive attitude, did a good job at making in interresting aswell.

Dont call our kids soulless. We have a very bright and caring generation comming along. I know for certain that my nieces have love in their hearts and possibly even a soul. At least the way they care for both each other, their parents and even myself shows that much. But hey, who am I to talk. Im a heartless danish guy who kills baby giraffes on a daily basis.
edit on RAmerica/ChicagoV by needlenight because: (no reason given)

edit on RAmerica/ChicagoV by needlenight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

In africa there no different than cows just chewy and bigger.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

needlenight
reply to post by IBelieveInAliens

Dont call our kids soulless. We have a very bright and caring generation comming along. I know for certain that my nieces have love in their hearts and possibly even a soul. At least the way they care for both each other, their parents and even myself shows that much. But hey, who am I to talk. Im a heartless danish guy who kills baby giraffes on a daily basis.]

So we are teaching them poaching giraffes will be okay too?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Poaching giraffes and other animals have nothing to do with this.
I wont even argue with your post. Your reaching now.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretFace

Its a strict requirement by all zoos not to allow animals who were the result of inbreeding to remain in zoo populations. This is for the healthy livelihood of their breeding stock.In the case of this giraffe i suspect some zoo keepers tried to hide the fact of his parentage and it was confirmed later.Probably because they knew what the end results had to be because i cant figure out why they allowed him to live for 18 months a reprieve maybe? Either way the lions in the zoos often get the dead carcuses of other zoo animals They get tired of horse meat im sure the bigger zoos get to mix in lamb as well. Now the zoo was stuck they cant sell it because of inbreeding they cant put him in with there other giraffes do to the possibility of inbreeding as well as zoo accreditation. Then there is you cant release him into the wild because again inbreeding and of course he was born in captivity and has no clue what to do in the wild.Given these circumstances i think the zoo did the right thing made it a learning experience everyones had biology you dissect animals and discuss it well sounds like thats exactly what they did. I dont see a problem if this were a cow we wouldnt be having this discussion but for some reason a giraffe is above a cow.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

dragonridr

Given these circumstances i think the zoo did the right thing made it a learning experience everyones had biology you dissect animals and discuss it well sounds like thats exactly what they did. I dont see a problem if this were a cow we wouldnt be having this discussion but for some reason a giraffe is above a cow.

Are you really comparing this to a dissection in biology class? haha!

Kids can get this "education" in a classroom for pete's sake, at the appropriate age. I don't see the educational value in killing a perfectly good giraffe in front of people, skinning it and then chopping it up for lions to eat... Where's the biology education in that?

What it shows is a lack of compassion for animals which is quite the opposite of what zoos are "supposed to be about" (although I think we all know better).. If I was a kid that went to a zoo and saw that I think I might start to equate that place with the killing of nice animals...for reasons that are beyond me as a 5 yr old. Explain genetics to a 5yr old! haha! How does a parent explain that to a kid who was just read this bedtime story the night before?

I'm not an activist or anything but this one really bothered me.. do it in private somewhere. Don't make spectacle of it.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Hi, animal fans.

I guess the giraffe was killed in a "proper" way, without pain/suffering ?
Instant death with the bullet.

BUT, for the FUR (coat) users in here, what about them ??:
www.fourrure-torture.com...

Blue skies.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

PhotonEffect
reply to post by dragonridr

dragonridr

Given these circumstances i think the zoo did the right thing made it a learning experience everyones had biology you dissect animals and discuss it well sounds like thats exactly what they did. I dont see a problem if this were a cow we wouldnt be having this discussion but for some reason a giraffe is above a cow.

Are you really comparing this to a dissection in biology class? haha!

Kids can get this "education" in a classroom for pete's sake, at the appropriate age. I don't see the educational value in killing a perfectly good giraffe in front of people, skinning it and then chopping it up for lions to eat... Where's the biology education in that?

What it shows is a lack of compassion for animals which is quite the opposite of what zoos are "supposed to be about" (although I think we all know better).. If I was a kid that went to a zoo and saw that I think I might start to equate that place with the killing of nice animals...for reasons that are beyond me as a 5 yr old. Explain genetics to a 5yr old! haha! How does a parent explain that to a kid who was just read this bedtime story the night before?

I'm not an activist or anything but this one really bothered me.. do it in private somewhere. Don't make spectacle of it.

First of all it was an autopsy second if they invited people to attend and they accepted you have to take it up with them dont you.If you have a problem with kids being there take it up with there parents. The people watching wanted to be there to see it and it would have happened any way all zoos autopsy any animal that dies. As far as compassion it was compassion that got them in this mess they should have killed him when he was a newborn.As i said i suspect the handlers hid it for a while and someone noticed.Here ill let them explain since everyone only got one side of the story.

zoo.dk...

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

This whole barbaric human way of keeping free animals in cages has got to end .. it leads to all this ..
They justify killing another innocent herbivorous animal to feed the carnivores ..
Let them run free .. and sort out which ones will be hunted by natural selection ..

These butchers are absolutely disgusting ..

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Guys. Because of the relatively low population of Giraffes in captivity their genetic well being is a constant concern. They must be extremely picky when it comes to breeding most animals in captivity, if they want it to be a healthy breeding population that will survive generations and could one day possibly be used to seed the wilderness.

Who the # cares that it was killed with a bolt gun. Do you know how cattle are killed? With a bolt gun, or worse [slit throat]. 35 and a half MILLION cattle were slaughtered in 2008 for consumption in the US alone. For the sole reason that the western world LOOOOOOOOVES their beef. There are a million cheaper, greener and more ethical sources of protein. But we destroy our planet and commit cattle genocide because our culture has deemed beef a staple of our diet. Cows are emotionally and socially intelligent beings, but nobody cares about that.

I mean for christ's sake people. These people are doing a #ing service, keeping a healthy population alive for future generations, and you piss and moan that one was killed [for the safety of the entire species] AND used for education. It is inspirational and educationally imperative for children to learn about things like this.

Everyone just wants something to #ing piss and moan about # they know nothing about. You all stop eating beef, and rage about the treatment of our cattle, then I'll be okay with you getting all worked up over a #ing giraffe.
edit on 11-2-2014 by LeviWardrobe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by junglimogli

I couldn't agree more with you on this one.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
That giraffe really stuck its neck out for those lions.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
wrong thread
edit on 11-2-2014 by rockoperawriter because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join