It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danish zoo kills 18 month old giraffe in front of public: feeds body to lions

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Seems odd though, you would think the giraffe would have been quit costly, could be sold to another zoo for big bucks. I thought that is how it is done.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

If you can't imagine how stressful it would be to live your life in one small room who's environment rarely changes it's from a lack of trying.
edit on 10-2-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

There was something wrong with the Giraffe's DNA. Reading between the lines so to speak it seems this Giraffe was the result of the unplanned mating between two closely related parents.

Additionally the Zoo seems to be not able for legal reasons (The way it is set up) to sell its animals. They are protecting the captive Giraffe's genetic pool making it as diverse as possible.

That's how I get it. The fact is, Zoos do this all the time with unwanted animals. As I said, the carnivores have to be fed. They don't go to the butchers to buy food.

P

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

I have no issues with this. Inbreeding is a big problem with animals in captivity, and I don't think you fully understand the detrimental effects that inbreeding can cause in a herd of animals. The animal was shot in the head, lived a good life up until then and was fed to lions. A perfectly acceptable way to go.

From what I read, the children didn't actually witness the slaughter of the animal, just the butchering. I understand that it might not be ideal for many children to see this, but aren't the parents the one to blame for allowing the children to see the butchering?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   

gardener
Thats like killing extra dogs and cats -in front of public onlookers - to feed homeless people.

Last I checked, neither dogs, cats, nor giraffes, are domesticated agricultural livestock in the West.

Uh... totally ridiculous comparison.

Dogs and cats and extremely common household pets. Giraffes are not. There is far less emotional attachment for MOST people to a giraffe than there is a dog or cat.

And I'm not sure what the people being homeless has to do with anything.

Why is it OK for a lion to kill and eat a giraffe, but not OK for a human to kill a giraffe and then give it to the lion?

Like, WTF? You people off your meds?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Thecakeisalie

And meanwhile nobody sheds a tear for the thousands of chickens that die each year to entertain visitors to the crocodile exhibits. People don't care about the chickens, they just wanna see the croc jump.

People only seem to care about the cute animals, the tasmanian blob fish is endangered, but it's ugly as sin so no one cares. But everyone wants to keep the Pandas, even though the are too dim witted and lazy to mate.

Bravo! Someone gets it!

Look at all these outraged people in this thread, these zombies are EVERWHERE, WTF is going on?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

nixie_nox

But we can't because most of their ecosystem has been destroyed. That is where zoos provide conservation, they maintain the species that can possibly go extinct. Or animals that you may not get close too, such as grizzly bears.

For what purpose? Your own amusement? You think a lion cares if his species goes extinct?

We are breeding animals in zoos that sit around and suffer. I'd rather the species go extinct if they can't live in their natural environment.

That being said the sensationalism over this is just absurd and if the zoo is going to be there, this practice makes sense.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

nixie_nox

Zoos are for conservation and education. by publicly destroying animals, you are educating people to devalue life. How are they supposed to care about the plight of giraffe in the wild if this director so wontanely destroys a giraffe in captivity?
There is no reason for this, none. Zip. He is nothing but a psychopath.
The genes of the parents were known already, so why were they allowed to breed in the first place?
If it was acciedental, why wasn't it aborted?
Other zoos and refuges offered a lot of money to take this giraffe, but they were refused.
If the giraffe shouldn't of been bred, then it could of been castrated. Simple as that.
There is no excuse for this blood bath. None

So you are saying taking a child on safari to watch wild animals (which are probably going to eat each other) is teaching kids to devalue life?

Your thinking is all out of whack. Teaching kids the truth teaches them the value of life. The giraffe gave it's life so the lion could live. The circle of life.

What, do you want to tell kids lions eat rainbows and pixie farts?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

nixie_nox

Lions don't eat giraffes. Giraffes are too big. They will rarely eat a baby giraffe if an entire pack takes it down.

More issues stemming from this stellar zoo, now people will get bad education and believe that lions eat giraffes.

You're just full of lies aren't you?

I'll trust seeing countless videos of them eating giraffes over you, sorry.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

swanne

This is insane.

1: killing a perfectly healthy giraffe.

2: feeding it to the lions, as if zoos can't buy food for lions (usually they feed lions rodents, like rabbits).

3: putting all this horror, the feeding and the blood, in front the children, in some psychopathic attempt to force "might makes right" imageries into the young, impressionable minds.

(roll eyes)

1. It was not perfectly healthy

2. Why is the life of a rabbit worth so little to you, but that of a giraffe so much?

3. Nobody was forced, this was a small exhibit where people knew full well ahead of time what was going on, and went there specifically to see it. It's called LEARNING, try it some time.

Please take your lies elsewhere, ATS likes to pride itself on denying ignorance.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Except for the last 50 years, most children in civilized countries for the past 4000 years were more or less regularly exposed to facts of life regarding the eating of flesh--in particular by assisting in the death of the animals to be consumed.

People who have never wrung the neck of a chicken, or shot a deer, hog, or steer, or caught and cleaned a fish---well, they may have a very skewed view of reality, and that's not good--they could grow up to become Democrats or just plain idiots.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
It could have been sold or given to another Zoo ,but then there is the cost involved ,if you have to do something like this why do they have to tell the bleeding heart public ?The same as over populations of kangeroos on Army land, that have to be culled as they eat themselves out of house and home ,then the doo gooders arrive pleading and protesting for them to be saved ,the trouble being ,the public raised on Disney diet of fantasy, and that animals live forever,where all the animals are friends .In the wild they all get killed and eaten and not humanely [eventually] ,despite Nature TV programs for the most part, not showing the brutality of nature ,having their intestines ripped out ,eaten alive ,faces ripped off etc .If they are hunted at least for the most part, a humane death from a bullet ,nature does not care about humane deaths .There are 5-6000 human Abortions every day on earth ,people dont care about that, and the brutal way this is carried out .

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

I don't consider that an inconsistency. You do realize that you can be euthanized WITH a bolt gun?

So they euthanized it with a bolt gun and fed it to lions. I mean I guess it's sad, but it's not a huge deal.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   

gardener
Thats like killing extra dogs and cats -in front of public onlookers - to feed homeless people.

Last I checked, neither dogs, cats, nor giraffes, are domesticated agricultural livestock in the West.

This has irked me for the past 3 couple of days since I heard it was planned to be done and government agency ordered or approved it.

I've worked in the zoo (in NY) and seen how animals suffer tremendously. I just recalled how they did not (in NY) have headroom for an 'extra' giraffe in the harsh subzero winter lows, so we listed it on the website where zoos mingle and trade animals they need -and occasionally sell to private buyers or take in unwanted exotic livestock.

What irks me is all of the above and especially what I originally referenced: that they're not domesticated agricultural livestock.

That's what chickens are for. We would purchase whole chickens meant for human consumption from the wholesale mart for .09/lb (and thats in the 1990s) and in addition there was always the larger supermarkets to turn for to get their unwanted meats, always for free, they'd even drop it off sometimes.

Anyways to reiterate, zoos have no business slaughtering large exotic mammals to feed to its others. Before you know it, they will be doing this on a regular basis because they got away with it. The animal could have been traded with an other wildlife preserve in exchange for tons of poultry and meat for the lions.

Was the giraffe terminal or something? It never ceases to amaze me how cruel the 'civilized' West really is

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I very fondly remember my first time in the presence of a giraffe, much like Marius, he was young and very soulful, fragile creature. I can understand people's outrage, but at the same time there's much to look at.

Scanning both threads, albeit way late to the news topic, am happy that ATS gets to share a variety of information on a concerning topic. Reading the view from people who live in the area, gives a bigger perspective on what the media shares. It does need to be discussed whether MSM picked up on it or not, not only by those of us in the Veterinary field but by people in concern of animal welfare, while it is nothing new in practice with the animals, especially in that facility*.

On average, he said some 20 to 30 animals, including goats, antelopes and wild boar, were culled for the same reason every year at the zoo.
US- Source

On a Veterinary standpoint, he went humanely(only 2nd and 3rd-captive and gun- to chemical euthanasia). Then of course the DNA issue and the unfortunate side of animal breeding, comes culling. With this situation I really wish there was more careful planning for his sake to a long happy life, same the many culled in the quote above. As much as more planning next time, more consideration and learning in the challenges that large animals(due to size and more) and exotics face in the study of reproduction. I really hope his loss of life is utilized as sources expressed, while trying to remain positive though I am not the biggest fan of zoos, namely those who profit from entertainment, it does seem this one is more reputable than others making it to the media as of late.

The carcass was used partly for research and partly to feed carnivores at the zoo -- lions, tigers, and leopards.

US- Source
Here's to that Marius will not be forgotten, the meals he gave, the learning and the research he's providing.

I'm still on the fence for the children, would assume per each different interest it was to do with future animal medical, zoology, interest to 4H interests- not to mention how meat can be prepared from animals(similar to meat from animals if they do eat it), for some general interest. Can understand the educational standpoint, and am hoping the parents carefully monitored the situation as opposed to it being a spectacle.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Jesus Christ the bleeding hearts on this planet and their Self-Righteous moral highground.

Mate get over it.

There are atrocities going on RIGHT NOW. Daily to humans and animals alike. This world is a mess no doubt. Singling out one action is pointless and this wasnt even that big a deal. granted they could have shipped it to another Zoo but maybe nobody wanted it and it would have not been efficient to do so, and as other have commented nobody cries over the hamburger they eat.

People are such emotional sheep. With no capacity to identify a genuine concern and one that is artificially manufactured to generate emotional backlash because god knows the human race has spend so much time ignoring the real problems we need to cry about artificially created ones.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Thorneblood
Recycling at it's finest I suppose, better that than letting it be hunted for sport.
Several zoos offered to rehome the animal, including a highly-reputable animal park in the UK that had a huge enclosure and other giraffes. They shot it anyway. Heartless behaviour.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   

pheonix358
If it was not the Giraffe, what animal would have had a bolt through its head to feed the lions?

Is a giraffe worth more than a cow or a sheep. The lions do have to eat.

How about we have a day of mourning for all the other animals that are used to feed the lions and tigers.

Should we get upset over all of Mickey Mouse's cousins that die each day to feed the snakes and lizards.

They had a spare animal, they used it as a food source.

P
It must be great to not have a heart.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Here is an interview in english about the situation.

The reporter tries to attack and cut of and Bengt holtz keeps his cool and explain as good as his rusty english can do. It's a typical show of MSM at worst.

edit on 11-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

needlenight

Here in Denmark we take pride in teaching our children what is what. The children honestly enjoyed the whole thing. Both the autopsy and the feeding the rest to the lions. Once again, it was a learning experience.
How lovely that the children of Denmark have no empathy for a magnificent animal being dismembered before their very eyes.

DAD:
Come Tobias, it is your 5th birthday! We have a surprise for you!

TOBIAS:
Oh Papa! Are we going to the fairground?

DAD:
No Tobias, something much better! We are going to the local slaughterhouse where you shall watch many terrified, screaming animals being butchered for food and clothing!

TOBIAS:
Oh Papa! How interesting it shall be to watch the suffering and dismemberment of other life forms!

DAD:
And how proud I am that you have no soul!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join