It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danish zoo kills 18 month old giraffe in front of public: feeds body to lions

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Honest to god I'm really at a loss as to what the issue is. You can and often do need to cull herds. Be it man or mother nature its a brutal fact of life. Rather than throwing away the carcass the Zoo did the responsible thing and turned it into a learning situation. I don't recall a gun at anybodies back forcing them to participate in any part of it. Now if they had had not fed the lions for a while and turned him lose in their enclosure for a "realistic" experience I can see the issue but thats not the case.

Now you want to get outraged about the whole concept of a Zoo in general we may be able to have legit complaint IMHO

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   

FredT
Honest to god I'm really at a loss as to what the issue is. You can and often do need to cull herds. Be it man or mother nature its a brutal fact of life. Rather than throwing away the carcass the Zoo did the responsible thing and turned it into a learning situation. I don't recall a gun at anybodies back forcing them to participate in any part of it. Now if they had had not fed the lions for a while and turned him lose in their enclosure for a "realistic" experience I can see the issue but thats not the case.

Now you want to get outraged about the whole concept of a Zoo in general we may be able to have legit complaint IMHO

Agreed. If people had to watch or be involved in the slaughtering and butchering of the meat they eat on a daily basis, the perspectives and opinions on this situation would be vastly different.

There is no nice way about slaughtering an animal and butchering it, but glad to see the zoo made the most of the carcass and feed it to the lions, something also natural.

People nowadays say they want to live as one with the Earth, but only certain aspects of it apparently.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
People getting bent outta shape about this are really a bunch of crybabies. And the more we pander to the crybabies and fear what the crybabies might say, the more crybabies we create!

The issue about euthanizing it BEFORE the bolt gun is especially hilarious! Obviously it was initially said to appease the people who would get irrationally upset and make a big stink about this, which that's sad and ultimately fosters more ignorance anyway... A bolt gun is the most humane, painless way possible to kill the animal instantly, there would be no reason to do anything to the animal before-hand.

Look, it's sad yes, I don't like it, but have you seen what Lions do to Giraffes in the wild? Get some perspective.

I saw the video and the animal was dissected in an educational manner for the spectators. I don't think it was killed in front of them, and the kids in the video seem to be more grown up than the whiners about this whole thing.

You people today are so freaking out of touch with reality it's unbelievable. That Giraffe lived a better life and and died a more dignified death than anything you will EVER get on your hamburger bun. End of story. If you live in nearly ANY part of Europe, your meat these days is Halal to appease the Muslims. Halal means the animal has it's throat slit while hanging upside-down or restrained in a rack, and the animal is BLED TO DEATH!!

Good to see the Danes haven't turned into a bunch of wilting p**sies like the rest of the West...

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Disgraceful. A vicious act of cruelty and violence.

There were other options, and even though they said there weren't, there were. All psychopaths are pathological liars.

They made up every possible excuse for no other reason than to carry out a violent act of cruelty.

The children knew the Giraffe's name and called her by her name. They had established an emotional connection with her. They had routinely fed her carrots and other foods. They took pictures of her. They drew pictures of her. They loved her.

This stunningly beautiful, friendly Giraffe brought them joy, but typical psychopathic style, they steal your joy.

These people, especially the children, witnessed an act of violence on a living creature with whom there was an emotional connection. The act and the loss are traumatic. That which is 'emotionally overwhelming' produces trauma. It has a negative effect on the brain. They were too shocked to scream or shout like a drowning person unable to yell for help.

The people who did this are criminals.

When I was growing up my Aunt and Uncle had a farm. I saw them from the kitchen window kill a chicken. It was upsetting but I wasn't traumatized because I didn't have an emotional connection to the chicken. But, mostly you can't look into a chicken's eyes and make contact the way you can make eye contact with a Giraffe and most other animals.

This brutality did not need to happen. This psychopathic bastard had other options. The person responsible is a psychopath who doesn't care how others feel -- devoid of emotion. Cruelty and violence sends the psychopath to a place of euphoria. He got away with traumatizing children. Psychopaths love to traumatize.

He should be taken out back and shot and then fed to the lions.

Abuse and/or violence are what happens when psychopaths/sociopaths are given power over anyone and anything that is defenseless. This is why I do not believe in these large money-making Zoos or go to them. Small petting zoos and the animal rescue centers are a different story and don't typically attract those who enjoy abusing their power.

It wasn't necessary and it wasn't about him doing his job, as someone said. There were other options -- humane options --the kind that a psychopath despises. He just made up BS excuses because he's just like the Devil -- evil, empty and devoid, with zero empathy.

edit on 12-2-2014 by Jana12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Jana12

You said a lot but then you said this.

Now, who was it that was a psychopat again?

Think when you want to make a point.
edit on 12-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I wonder why you wouldn't want a psychopath dead. One less psychopath on the planet is a good thing.

Ask anyone who has been victimized or traumatized by a psychopath/sociopath and they'll agree that the world would be a much better place if they were gone. They shouldn't be allowed to roam free so they can do the horrible things that they do.

They lack empathic ability.

I guess empathic ability is required to get that.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Jana12

Jana, you do not know the head of this zoo. Presumably you have never met him. So how do you know he is a psychopath.

The messages you are sending indicate that you are only seeing this in extremes, even in the most extreme of extremes.

Perhaps you need to look inside to see why you have these views because they can do you a great deal of harm.

Zoos all over the world, farmers and anyone that deals with livestock make these sorts of decisions all the time.

P

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Circle of Life!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Jana12

You brought back a childhood memory that I had forgotten. I don't know if it changes my mind in the situation. I still have mixed feelings, but......

When I was a child my father quickly made rules about our animals, after making a big mistake. When he first brought home the baby chickens and a baby pig. There was ten of us. 5 girls and 5 boys. We each took an animal and gave it a name.

When it was time to kill one of the chickens the whole house was in an uproar. My mother told my dad, it is too late. The animals have become pets and he can't kill the chicken. My dad said nonsense, they are food and we had to learn that.
My dad killed the chicken and everyone cried. My mom refused to cook it. My dad being stubborn, prepared and cooked the chicken. Nobody would touch it. It was like a funeral. We had nothing for dinner that night, including my dad. So the rest if the chickens and Susie the pig lived long happy lives.

The next day the rules where made. Food animals where not allowed to have names. They were called by their identifier or number. That didn't mean that all food animals stayed food animals. The runts, the ill ones, nursed back to health or one with a bit of personality still escaped the table.

You were right about the pet thing and its is really hard to stop children from making pets out of food animals. That is what I have so many of my brother's goats right now. Even he is guilty of naming one and having to remove if from the food group.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Jana12

Psychopaths can do very well in society, In fact we need them they can make the harsh decisions many of us would agonise about. You will find business leaders and people in power have more chance of being one than normal jobs.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Read my posts. Im Danish, I live in denmark, I have visited the zoo several times. I have met the guy you claim being a psychopath. He is not. I have watched the danish medias and followed this story right from when the EUROPEAN UNION DEMANDED the killing of the giraffe. There was nothing he could do, the danish people could do or anyone else for that matter. It was EU law. (I do not support EU, I wish we never joined it) But your obscure view that you most likely gained from American mass media and/or mass hysteria on the internet is not a valid source. I have explained this in 2 of the 3 bloody threads about this.

But you are all much more inclined to believe the mass media that you swear are a bunch of liars in every other case on this forum. But suddenly its about a giraffe and you all gulp it down? Double standards much? You can not pick and choose.

Everything done in this case was done by EU Law. It was done as it should be done, and done the right way. Trust me, the large majority of the danish people are happy with how this went down, we understand it could not be any other way.

No kids were traumatised, no one saw the kill itself, only the autopsy which was announced in due time for anyone to stay away or come watch if interrested. (Many were interrested, many found it interresting, many are thankful that the giraffe did not go to waste, but parts are now being studied to help benefit others, while many had a teaching experince and the lions got a dinner they rarely get.

Dont blame the director of the zoo, he is a good man and he loves each and every animal in that zoo. But he is forced to accept and do as EU demands. That is how it works. Wether we like it or not.

Edit: I would like to explain a bit more about the director of the zoo. I have met him on many occassions as he personally guided kids from a school or even familys through the park. He loves telling others about the animals, about what they do to help studies, how we can help save species of animals. He tells it with a passion I rarely see these days. It always seems that he would much rather be a zoo keeper than the director of a whole zoo. He allows the people he guides through the zoo to get a glimpse behind the scenes, pet tiger cubs if there are any, hold the snakes (that arent venomous of course) and much more. He has done more good for animals than you can ever imagine.
edit on RAmerica/ChicagoV by needlenight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Jana12

People did not do this. EU Law demanded it.

The same kids you speak of who loved the giraffe so much, were probably the exact same kids that I personally saw and heard say words like cool, awesome and nice as the autopsy of their beloved giraffe was taken place and they watched.

Edit: Just in case you cant read between the lines. I was there personally. (read my other posts)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Im glad the danish media is not like this. They have followed the story from the beginning of the European Unions demand of the animals death. Explained it in detail so that the danish people would understand and accept that there was no other way. Maybe thats why there are so few of us in this thread that actually seems to have our heads screwed on right.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Double post.
edit on RAmerica/ChicagoV by needlenight because: (mistaken double post)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Jana12
Disgraceful. A vicious act of cruelty and violence.

There were other options, and even though they said there weren't, there were. All psychopaths are pathological liars.

They made up every possible excuse for no other reason than to carry out a violent act of cruelty.

The children knew the Giraffe's name and called her by her name. They had established an emotional connection with her. They had routinely fed her carrots and other foods. They took pictures of her. They drew pictures of her. They loved her.

This stunningly beautiful, friendly Giraffe brought them joy, but typical psychopathic style, they steal your joy.

These people, especially the children, witnessed an act of violence on a living creature with whom there was an emotional connection. The act and the loss are traumatic. That which is 'emotionally overwhelming' produces trauma. It has a negative effect on the brain. They were too shocked to scream or shout like a drowning person unable to yell for help.

The people who did this are criminals.

When I was growing up my Aunt and Uncle had a farm. I saw them from the kitchen window kill a chicken. It was upsetting but I wasn't traumatized because I didn't have an emotional connection to the chicken. But, mostly you can't look into a chicken's eyes and make contact the way you can make eye contact with a Giraffe and most other animals.

This brutality did not need to happen. This psychopathic bastard had other options. The person responsible is a psychopath who doesn't care how others feel -- devoid of emotion. Cruelty and violence sends the psychopath to a place of euphoria. He got away with traumatizing children. Psychopaths love to traumatize.

Abuse and/or violence are what happens when psychopaths/sociopaths are given power over anyone and anything that is defenseless. This is why I do not believe in these large money-making Zoos or go to them. Small petting zoos and the animal rescue centers are a different story and don't typically attract those who enjoy abusing their power.

It wasn't necessary and it wasn't about him doing his job, as someone said. There were other options -- humane options --the kind that a psychopath despises. He just made up BS excuses because he's just like the Devil -- evil, empty and devoid, with zero empathy.

edit on 12-2-2014 by Jana12 because: (no reason given)

You have issues.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by needlenight

It is fascinating here is one which also shows evolution and that it has flaws.

Plus the lions had a great meal.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
It did upset me, I think it is horrible
the end

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

I don't think it's our right as human beings to choose the life and death of living things. How ever in the instance we remove WILD animals from the WILD and eliminate all the instincts they require to survive, I then believe we are 100% responsible for their livelihood. This would include the genetic success of the animals. If this young male giraffe was the product of inbreeding, and could lead to a potential of more inbreeding euthanasia is essentially the safest alternative for the collective Giraffe herd.

It's awful, I don't like that we as people make this choice for these animals, but it is their responsibility in this instance. Bolt gun, is not really that bad. If used properly it's no different than shooting the animal in the head with any other gun. It's next to instantaneous, although more gruesome than an overdose of anesthetic.

I'm happy they recycled the animal in house, and do not find it at all inappropriate for the children to have witnessed any part of this procedure. Children need to understand how the world works, they need to understand Lions eat animals, people included. Children need to understand where meat comes from, what blood and death look like. There reactions to it should not be shamed or sheltered, this is how they will learn to respect life.

Stop Sheltering your children people, you're ruining them.

Sad the Animal had to die, but his death was not wasted, hungry lions were fed, children and adults alike learned something. I don't see one ounce of waste.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Actually, my first pet I named food. Had no problem eating rabbits after having one as a pet. Rather relived my parents that at 3, I could handle it.

Now that I'm an adult? I'm not so good with it.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

HarvardMan2010

Circle of Life!

If that's the case, why don't I just take a bolt gun to you and throw you to the lions...booyah shacka! Circle of Life my friend.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join