It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheist Thread

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

Dude I do not feel threatened by Atheism, Iam a strong supporter of it. I used to be one

Like I said Iam anti religion and agree with many Atheists about the things they say but I just happen to have invented my own personal God
he is called Bod.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by Akragon

I agree with you, this thread was made in retaliation for the anti atheist thread and many atheists joined that discussion so the people of faith should be able to ask and discuss the topics.

I have no problem with religious people joining in as long as they stay on the OP.
This isn't about retaliation...that's for the petty minded and infers an agenda which I do not pocess.
This is about spreading what atheists consider to be positive changes in our society, literature, entertainment and politics.
Nothing more.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I find many Atheists just as narrow minded, intolerant and bigoted as many Theists are.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Here's another dose of Watts for what ails the soul...

How about a little Ricky Gervais Academy shocker...

Now maybe a Dawkins/Gervais double bill...

-Peace-
edit on 8-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Added Link

edit on 8-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Added Link

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Eryiedes

boymonkey74
reply to post by Akragon

I agree with you, this thread was made in retaliation for the anti atheist thread and many atheists joined that discussion so the people of faith should be able to ask and discuss the topics.

I have no problem with religious people joining in as long as they stay on the OP.
This isn't about retaliation...that's for the petty minded and infers an agenda which I do not pocess.
This is about spreading what atheists consider to be positive changes in our society, literature, entertainment and politics.
Nothing more.

-Peace-

Do you mean like when someone starts a thread dealing with the aspects of Christianity and God and someone instantly joins in the thread for no other reason but to say "There is no God... You believe in fakery and falsehoods"?

This is very common on those threads. Surprisingly, it's not always the same on threads dealing with anti-God or anti-Christianity. Though, it's almost expected to have athiests and anti0religious people to derail a thread if someone starts a thread on anything pro God or pro religion based. The thing is, by the rules of these forums, it's perfectly ok to do exactly that, even though the thread has nothing to do with the OP being related to the concept of whether or not God or religion is real. I'd say it's very one sided, but I don't see many athiesm threads take place where christians come in and say "God is real, religion is real" and get banned for it.

It seems like athiests (I'll use the broad term for the word) have an addiction to attack any threads dealing with religion (it's crazy that this happens mostly to religion threads and not UFO threads or Ghost threads) but religious "nuts" don't really bother too much with jumping into athiest threads and bashing on them for it. Now, dont get me wrong, as I know there are people out in the world that will go all Westboro Baptist on you, but for the bigger part of the population, this is not the case.

My two cents.

edit on 8-12-2013 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

StallionDuck
It seems like athiests (I'll use the broad term for the word) have an addiction to attack any threads dealing with religion

Like you are doing right now?
Got it.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Here would be a wonderful interview with Doctor Boghossian...

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Eryiedes

StallionDuck
It seems like athiests (I'll use the broad term for the word) have an addiction to attack any threads dealing with religion

Like you are doing right now?
Got it.

-Peace-

Not at all. You're confused. I'm not derailing the thread. I'm simply responding to YOUR response. Furthermore, I did not state my stance either way. I'm just making an observation. Why is it so tough for you to accept a little truth on the matter?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

StallionDuck
Not at all. You're confused. I'm not derailing the thread.

Then you have something positive to post about atheism then?
No?
Then were done here.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Eryiedes
Then you have something positive to post about atheism then?
No? Then were done here.

Then I guess next time someone is having a religion discussion and you pop in with a drive-by about how stupid their discussion is, those folks can bring up this direction of yours ... ' post something positive about religion or move along ... right?? Okay. Got it. (if you are going to hand out that advice, perhaps you yourself should follow it)

Eryiedes
Is there something positive about atheism out there that stands out to you?

No. 'In your face' atheist is no different than 'in your face' religious. Many atheists pride themselves on being more progressive or smarter or having more common sense then religious people .... but they tend to cut themselves off from the metaphysical which my personal experiences tell me is very real.

"Science without Religion Is Lame, Religion without Science Is Blind" - Albert Einstein.

Since the question "Is there something positive about atheism out there that stands out to you?" was posted on a public forum and was asking for comments ... I gave mine. My answer is 'no' and my comment is the same as Einsteins.

Freeborn
I find many Atheists just as narrow minded, intolerant and bigoted as many Theists are.

Yeah ... that. You said it perfectly. Atheist or religious .... both groups have winners and both
groups have idiots. Same/same.

edit on 12/8/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Wow...for someone who doesn't ever want me talking to them, you certainly go out of your way to get my attention.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Next stop...Penn Jillette:

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
You cannot have a thread like this without Gods Rottweiller Richard Dawkins. He in the UK has been a great rallying point for atheists and agnostics.

My prediction in the next 100 years is that as we understand the animal kingdom, we will find nothing special about humans (whales already show self awareness and pigeons show superstitious behavior). I think we will find other animals with religious beliefs.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

While i am not an atheist (more of a deist, myself) your post was hiliariously funny. And spot on.

I like George Carlin. I don't know his religious views, but suspect he was an atheist. Regardless, the things he said on religion during his comedy, while outrageous, were very thought provoking. Not ust on religion, either.

For me, personally, it is the belief in an afterlife that makes me a deist. I think there is something(s) "out there" that are akin to "god(s)". Possibly just pan dimensional Who knows....i sure don't. I think that "god" is utterly indifferent to the daily lives of anything. We were born into a system set in motion eons ago, and are just part of its natural course. Perhaps that "natural course" is meant to create life for awareness and all that new age nonsense. Maybe not.

Point is....I don't know. Nor do atheists. And especially no tthe religious.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Eryiedes
leaving behind childish superstition.

I'm a staunch atheist and would never insult religious believers by calling their beliefs "childish superstition," to do so is it's petty and childish.

While not as intense an insult as calling all non-believers, sinners (as Christians tend to do with ease), it's still a statement beneath dignity.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I, for one, want to thank you, (Me being irreligious) for this thread and the videos. It's a welcome change, from all the threads, discussing the worlds favorite, imaginary friend.

The Church/Priestcraft is a highly profitable business and finances an industry of deceit to keep the show on the road. The supposed 'evidence' of Jesus's existence fills many volumes. The desire for quick-fix salvation and something easy on the brain cells allows the $ multi-billion industry of religion to exploit a general ignorance of science and history. Suspect logic, semantic trickery, and a showman's pizzazz deceives the unsophisticated and packs in the fans of Jesus.

The world is ever changing. And this archaic, ambiguous, practice, will be denounced. As a result, of higher learning.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

A great speech.

He has a great point about children, they ask many questions about religion when it is being bashed into their heads because It sounds wrong to them.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Saw this today and just wanted to share:

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I think that's a "yes" to Carlin being an atheist:

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

MickeyMouga
Saw this today and just wanted to share:

this is poor logic. what if god is neither, but rather is indifferent?

We cannot presume that if there is a god, he actually gives a damn. Doing so is predicated on a presumption that we would have the vaguest notion of what the rationale for our creation would be.

This is the problem with atheism vs theism: neither side is willing to admit that they haven't a clue. They often don't even realize that the entirety of their thoughts on the matter are based on beliefs, even if it is believing that you could begin to ascertain the reason for our existence.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join