It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheist Thread

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Evening,

For once, Piers Morgan captures a moment of clarity from Ricky Gervais...

"Have a go...see how much you like it!"

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

"An episode from the flintstones" lol.
He is a funny intelligent dude

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Evening,

Tonight I thought I'd add a clip from a more sophisticated point of view from Monty Python Alumni John Cleese...

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Immaculate confection

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Morning,

Time for a few giggles...

-Peace-
edit on 10-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Added Link

edit on 10-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Last Link

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Afternoon,

Janeane Garofalo is another prefered comic of mine. She sticks more with polictical commentary but every now and then, her atheist views get the better of her...

Yim Minchin is another one...

-Peace-
edit on 10-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Added Links

edit on 10-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Removed Link

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Tashi Delek,

Enough of the chuckles for now...time for some deep introspection with my homie Alan Watts...

-Amitabha-

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

So God who created you?

No one that is ridiculus.

So you are an Atheist..

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Garafalo tends to be self important and mean spirited.

I like the atheist viewpoint....but this thread just seems to make atheism look more like what it claims it isn't.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

So, post what you feel it's missing.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

One of the central tenets of atheism is the eschewing of observance of a God. I do not think that the intention of the great thinkers who forged its path was to create a new religion, where people needed to hear speeches by other atheists to affirm their own viewpoints.

Atheism should be, by its nature, a simple ignoring of religious concepts. It shouldn't attempt to replace 1 belief system with another.

ETA: don't take this metaphor the wrong way...but imagine a group of 6th graders out behind the school smoking. They keep thinking how "grown up" it makes them look, and they may even mention it. They certainly will engage in other behavior that they believe will further affirm their view of themselves (french inhaling, posing in certain ways, etc).

Meanwhile, to the old timer across the street looking at them, they look more childish than if they had just stayed on the playground involved in a game of tag.
edit on 10-12-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Feel free to drop by anytime.
I'd have gone with this personally...

"The World is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real, because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round, and it has thrills and chills and is very brightly colored, and it's very loud. And it's fun, for a while.

Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they've begun to question, 'Is this real, or is this just a ride?', and other people have remembered, and they've come back to us and they say 'Hey, don't worry. Don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride.' and we KILL THOSE PEOPLE.

"Shut him up! We have alot invested in this ride! SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry. Look at my big bank account, and my family. This just has to be real."

It's just a ride.

But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that. You ever noticed that? And let the demons run amok. But it doesn't matter, because ... It's just a ride.

And we can change it anytime we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. A choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear wants you to put bigger locks on your door, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love, instead see all of us as one.

Here's what we can do to change the world right now, to a better ride:

Take all that money we spent on weapons and defense each year and instead spend it feeding, clothing, and educating the poor of the world, which it would many times over, not one human being excluded, and WE CAN EXPLORE SPACE, TOGETHER, BOTH INNER AND OUTER, forever ... in peace."

Bill Hicks (1961 - 1994)

-Peace-

edit on 10-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

boymonkey74

So God who created you?

No one that is ridiculus.

So you are an Atheist..

I exist because the universe observes my presence whilst I observe the universe. Therefore I'am because you are!

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Morning,

Sounds like it's time for a little Bill Maher...

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Atheism allows for a situation where, "if it turns out there is a god, I reject him/it."

I Am an Atheist and i no way think like that. I am an atheist because there is no proof of god, thus i will not believe it.

If the situation where god is real and proven, there would be no need for an atheist, i would just simply believe in god.

No believing in something that already proven to exist seems redundant.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Morning,

Contact was a movie I consider to be "atheist" in nature and for a change had a very positive message...

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
A reality,dimension without god does not exist because it cannot be observed but because you can imagine an area that has absolutely nothing you'd prolly imagine black empty space.

Did you know that the fact that you are observing this area somewhere some place in time means that even that reality, dimension has god.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Morning,

I think I'll start the day with a little Maher...

One more...

-Peace-
edit on 12-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Added Link

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
A christian who questions his faith may look for inspiration to re-affirm his/her beliefs.
I wonder if that what all the videos in this thread are for?

I am with Tex. I thought atheists were about ignoring all things God, not publicly seeking acceptance for their views.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

If you believe this thread is about gaining acceptance then I fear you have missed the point.
This thread isn't about "winning over converts" or changing anyones mind.
As far as you or Tex not being happy...feel free to drop by and voice your displeasure whenever you wish.

-Peace-

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join