It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheist Thread

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Morning,

So, as mankind moves beyond the 21st century so too is he leaving behind childish superstition.
As humanity ages, religion is slowly (and inevitably) losing it's grip on the human race and leaving atheism in it's wake.
I am sure most of the religious cheerleaders are out there right now, preparing their repetoire of parables and biblical quotes in some attempt to refute the OP on title alone but that's not what this thread is about.
I've noticed that pop culture, entertainment and media are also jumping on this bandwagon as more and more atheists find a voice on the world stage.
Is there something positive about atheism out there that stands out to you?
A poem...a clip...a show...a book...a picture...a song...a person...a place...maybe even a moment in time. Whatever it is, I'd like to see it and I'm sure there are some others out there who'd appreciate it as well.
To start, I love Jim Jeffries. I think he's a scream...but when I found out he was an atheist I stopped downloading his stuff and began to buy it. His views on it are actually quite witty once you get past the profanity but it's best to decide for yourself...

(Caution: contains mature subject matter)

Another favorite of mine is Doug Stanhope. Needless to say, he also holds some very dark views on religion. This makes perfect sence to me as he was one step away from being a preacher himself and the most extreme atheists usually also turned out to be the most extreme religious people prior to leaving the church...

[inappropriate title removed]

What positive atheist tidbit made you sit up and take notice or put a smile on your face?

-Peace-
edit on Sun Dec 8 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: mod edit

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I don't really like the term athiest. I prefer non believer. At least Religious folks can understand that concept better. They get a bit confused when you use the term athiest. I find it helps all round.

edit on 8-12-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Oh you can't have an Atheist thread without Hitch

Iam not an atheist just anti religion and Hitch is the man, he is so right.
Here is some great points.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
To me religion is the poison that is destroying society. Do i belief in "God"? YES although i rather call it the Creater. Spirituality is what makes me alive.

When i was a child and confused and angry at the world i too said to myself. There can't be a God that makes life so hard on this planet. But as i grew older and started learning spiritual wise all the pieces fell in place. And now i can "see".

So my thoughts on Atheists is this: Ya'll acting and talking as a young and confused child. The knowledge is there for everyone too learn....
edit on 8-12-2013 by Annunak1 because: Illuminati is watching

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

If religion shrinks that doesn't mean atheism will take over... You don't need to have particular religious affiliation to have faith.

I know half of you atheists are faking anyway, it takes 10 times as much faith to believe in atheism as creationism.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Atheism is not going to take over, irreligion will. I have no time for religion myself but cannot call myself an atheist as claiming you know there to be no god is as arrogant as claiming you know there is. You can't possibly know either way so it's irrelevant.
I think the statistics show that people classing themselves as no religion is on the rise. that does no mean that atheism is.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   

On7a7higher7plane

If religion shrinks that doesn't mean atheism will take over... You don't need to have particular religious affiliation to have faith.

I know half of you atheists are faking anyway, it takes 10 times as much faith to believe in atheism as creationism.

what is a belief in atheism? I've never heard of such a thing.

and it takes 10 times more faith? faith in what?

Sounds like ignorance to me.

I guess what you mean is that religion is the easy way out. You don't have to think for yourself, you don't have to justify yourself, you don't have to explain yourself. Just recite the bible, say a prayer and call on christ to defend you. Easy peasy.

And if it all goes pear shaped, why the devil made you do it.

Yeah, you're probably right. It does take more effort to be an atheist. What with the having to take responsibility for your own actions, self, morals and lifestyle. No 'get into heaven' free cards.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
To the two posters who put up Hitch & Watts...I wish I had more hands to give those more than two thumbs up.

As to the cheerleaders (who showed up right on time I might add) you will get no responces from me unless you adhere to OP and not your own need to defend your faith.
If you haven't figured it out yet, your incessant pro-god rhetoric is why this thread exists in the first place.

-Peace-

edit on 8-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

I got a question for Atheists

Can you Imagine what "non-existence" is like?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Can you remember what it was like before being born?...well that.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

To all atheists...

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I have a better question for you.
Will you stay on the OP or are you just here to derail the thread?
Don't answer...it's rhetorical.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

So this thread is about openly mocking people that believe?

Why can't I ask a simple question?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

If your question is SO important...start a thread on it.
No one is stopping you.

-Peace-
edit on 8-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Addition

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I agree with you, this thread was made in retaliation for the anti atheist thread and many atheists joined that discussion so the people of faith should be able to ask and discuss the topics.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

LOL...

What do you think that is?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

I would have loved to have a scotch or 10 with Hitch, he is my hero

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Aye sir.

-Peace-
edit on 8-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Wrong Person

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

You ever had a blackout after drinking? Or lost consciousness? Or slept without dreaming.

Something like that, I would say, but to be honest, I never think on such things, as at the end there is no way to really know.

I do not believe in organised religions, which is extremely common in my area (less than 10% people are religious in this country, and even these are usually immigrants). The history of different religions, as well as the blind belief in the holy books/texts are making the organised religions even less convincing. I could also write a book, while telling God inspired me to do it and it is God´s Word. Will there be millions of followers in decades? Maybe the Harry Potter world exists and the actual "god" from there insipired Rowling to write it.

By its nature different religions are not about questioning the world, finding out the logic behind different actions/reactions, but about having an answer to everything - God. It is the easiest way out - the magic pill which answers everything seemingly, without really answering anything.

I hate the word atheist, as -ism already refers to some belief, I would prefer simply non-believer. It does not require any faith into anything. People are not raised atheist, religion is simply something that they are not grown into. At my home, never has the topic of religion come up. At some point, I had a look at different ones just out of curiosity, but to be honest, at least to myself there is not much difference between these, myths and fairytales - just stories with some moral point in them.

I don´t have much to add to OP. I have nothing against watching such videos though. I sometimes read the comments in [url=http://fstdt.com/QuoteArchives.aspx?Archive=1] fstdt.com . It is a site, where people are posting the craziest religious posts from internet . By its description: An archive of the most hilarious, bizarre, ignorant, bigoted, and terrifying quotes from fundies all over the internet! Sometimes these are hilarious to read, although at the same time these can make me sad, wondering how can any person believe in something like that.
edit on 8-12-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join