It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheist Thread

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Eryiedes

Serdgiam
Why do you feel focusing on what you are not is a better use of your time and energy than say, actively practicing science?

Why are you trying to infer that I am saying the opposite of what I actually said?

-Peace-

I am just trying to see how you are seeing the world, and that is done through questions that inevitably come from my own perspective. I view things in numbers and patterns, mathematically. So that is where a lot of my understanding comes from. In that, semantic opposites are relatively benign and interchangeable, especially given the progressive nature of our brain and perspective. Meaning, it is always moving in some direction.

I am not here to battle, I want to learn more about not only how you see the world, but how you participate in it. When those things are defined by what they are "not," it still leaves open many, many possibilities and that makes communication difficult. Its not even a matter of introduction of labels, but more of a discourse on how YOU see and interact with the world. Whether or not that same curiosity is reciprocated is up to you, but not necessary for you to discuss your own perspective.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Serdgiam
Why do you feel focusing on what you are not is a better use of your time and energy than say, actively practicing science?

In the first part of your question you infer I am wasting my time..."focusing on what I am not"...this is just ascertion on your part and somewhat insulting.
You then go onto infer I don't "practice science" yet I am an architect and draftman with an avid interest in Applied Physics.
So you're not off to the best of starts with me...

-Peace-

edit on 17-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Quotations

edit on 17-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Eryiedes
In the first part of your question you infer I am "wasting" my time...

It infers that to you, but the intent is not there. When we choose to do one thing over the other, we tend to do so for a reason. When we think about what we are doing, we usually decide what courses of action will be "better" for whatever goal we are attempting to achieve.

focusing on what I am not...this is just ascertion on your part and somewhat insulting.

I asked you what your belief system was, and you stated what it was not. My second question was directed towards the response you gave. To the first question, instead of saying something like "I actively practice science" or "I love creating art through structures" you stated:

I'll, tell you what stark reality isn't.
And that's pretending a life view embraced in absence of all facts and logic can be productive and useful.

So, I was asking; when you are answering a question like that, why do you focus on what "is not" as a better option than saying "I actively practice science to learn facts?"

I am an architect and draftman with an avid interest in Applied Physics.

Thats great! Why didnt you say that in the first place? With your endeavors in architecture, ability to think differently to do proper drafting, and active participation in applied physics; Where has that led you in how you view the world? What are some of the biggest questions that you are currently seeking answers?

So you're not off to the best of starts with me...

I dont seem to be alone in that camp

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Serdgiam
When we choose to do one thing over the other, we tend to do so for a reason. When we think about what we are doing, we usually decide what courses of action will be "better" for whatever goal we are attempting to achieve.

Why are you trying to tell me something that every single human on the planet already knows?

I asked you what your belief system was, and you stated what it was not.

Atheists just don't believe in bronze-age skyghosts.
It's no more a belief than saying just because I think the Earth goes round the Sun, it makes me a "Centrist".
Belief is acceptance in the absence of facts.
(Some will debate this but at it's core, this is what they are left with)
Just the facts ma'am...just the facts.

So, I was asking; when you are answering a question like that, why do you focus on what "is not" as a better option than saying "I actively practice science to learn facts?"

You can PM me if you really want an answer to that one.

Thats great! Why didnt you say that in the first place?

Because it's nobodies business but my own sir and bears no relevance to the OP.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Eryiedes

So what are those facts?

I think the confusion arises in a thread like this just as it would in seeing a thread specifically for people who do not collect stamps.

Meh, anywho, have fun with all that!

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Eryiedes

DeadSeraph
The notion that there is no God is based entirely on conjecture.

So is the theory that there is one so the rest of your post is irrelevant.

-Peace-

Talk about denying ignorance... I said EXACTLY THAT in my post, and you agree with me, therefore the rest of my post is irrelevant? Clearly there is no point in trying to have a discussion with you. Have a nice life.
edit on 17-12-2013 by DeadSeraph because: edited for civility

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
OP...

You write this garbage which is obviously just your opinion.

Then you get all butt-hurt when anyone dares reply.

I have zero proof God exists. You have zero proof he does not.

So if you decide to write an insult laced bunch of crap you pull out of your a$$.

Expect to be called on it.....Merry Christmas

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Serdgiam

Eryiedes

So what are those facts?

Y'know...science?

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

And you are free to have your opinion too but personal attacks are not the OP.

-Peace-
edit on 17-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Eryiedes
Y'know...science?

-Peace-

Have you ever thought about doing a thread discussing the science you are performing to learn your facts?

That would be one Id love to participate in!

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

Start one...I'll find it.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

How could I possibly do a thread discussing the science you are using the discern your facts?

It would sound like a total troll thread!

I mean, I am assuming here that you have your own perspective without having another system presented first. And I can understand why that topic isnt necessarily within the premise of this thread..

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

Don't be silly.
I meant start one about the specific process of reason you are talking about.

-Good Bye-

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Evening,

I find this one particularly facinating.
The true cost of war as seen by an atheist.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Eryiedes
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Sorry sir.
There are no facts to support the existance of deities.
That's why it's called "faith-based" and not stark reality.

-Peace-

No one claimed there were. You moved the goal posts.

Seriously...are we going to discuss this? Or should I just leave you to your thread of posting atheist affirmation videos?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

What you are actually asking me?

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Eryiedes

What you are actually asking me?

-Peace-

I am asking you if you are interested in a real discussion, or if you would rather me leave your thread alone for you to do whatever it is you are doing..

If you would like to discuss, great. Lets be honest and not cherry pick details and quotes just for the sake of winning an argument. The ultimate goal here IS truth, right?

As an example: i do not lay claim to having any evidence of a deity. Although you seem to infer that, for whatever reason. Others may want to rant at you....not me. I enjoy these discussions.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   

I don't mean what's your reason for asking.
I mean what's the actual question?

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Morning,

Merry Wedensday.
How about a little Penn Jillette?

-Peace-

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Morning,

Seems like the tide is turning amongst America's youth.
They are beginning to say no to superstition and ancient traditions of abuse...at least in West VA.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

What took 'em so long?

-Peace-

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join