It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you imagine what Non-existence is like?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Sit and think for a minute...

When you die, if you cease to exist... what would that be like?

You might picture darkness... but how can "darkness" exist if theres nothing to experience it?

Nothingness perhaps?

How would one define "nothingness"?

noth·ing·ness

1. The condition or quality of being nothing; nonexistence.
2. Empty space; a void.
3. Lack of consequence; insignificance.
4. Something inconsequential or insignificant

At the point of death, IF there is nothingness... what was the point of existing in the first place?

Procreation perhaps?

To continue a species for no other reason but to exist?

Is life really so meaningless?

All the grand feelings you experience in life, the love and friendship, the horrible dramatic... sometimes even tragic times that stop your heart?

Life can be tough sometimes, but isn't it about the experience?

And if its about the experience...

Shouldn't there be more to life then just existence?

IF you exist for the experience how can there be no reason to "experience"?

I will offer a theory... take it as you will....

Non-existence... doesn't exist...

Whacha think about that?

Much love everyone!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Your question is flawed. Non-existence implies there is no "you". There is no "imagine". I assume it is like pre-birth. You will be doing the exact same thing you were doing when Columbus sailed the ocean blue. Nothing at all.

ETA - Sorry ... I didnt even answer your question. The answer to your title question is NO.
edit on 8-10-2012 by underduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

If you accept the view that you seem to dwell on that when you die you are like a computer being shut off, then why elaborate on this "NOTHINGNESS?" There is nothing to elaborate upon!

'Course, if you want to consider a spiritual existence over and above human life, then you've got a bunch of homework to review.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

First thing that popped into my head was 'dreamless sleep'
but as a Pastlife Regression Therapist I don't believe everything ceases to exist after death so for me it's a mute point I guess

Woody

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I can't because non existence doesnt exist. What I found also very hard to imagine, was in the NDE given by a woman born blind at birth, who could see, and how alarming even this may have been at first to her. She explained when interviewed, that being blind is NOT seeing darkness as many assume. It is seeing nothing, that sense itself is absent. Hard to even imagine what that means.

The NDE of Vicky Nuratuk - Blind from Birth But Able to See

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I think it would be just like no one giving a crap that you exist.
However there is always the will to live regardless of crap in our way.
In the end we will exist.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
If I don't exist, how can I ponder Non-Existence?

Peace

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

To be honest.. The scenario you just stated used to be one of, actually was my biggest fear for many years of my young life.

The thought of non existence after death scared the living hell out of me, for me and the loved ones I've lost. I know it sounds kind of pathetic, but I was so scared of death for the exact thing reason you stated. I actually had a lot of issues fearing the thought of non existence after death, until I got older and found a little bit of faith. The fear still creeps up sometimes, because we will never really know what happens after death until it happens.

But I don't think your question is flawed, because; Yes, I have imagined what non existence would be like after death,and it scares the hell out of me. To be nothing, to lose all conciousness, I hate thinking about! I know people say you wouldn't know it, or feel it, simply because you wouldn't be! But doesn't that thought scare you to be nothing? After something? Yes, yes it does.

Thanks for bringing back one of my biggest child hood fears though..lol

Biggest childhood fears:
2: Not knowing what the universe is expanding in to (don't know why that scared me)
1: The thought of being non-existent after death.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

This thread was only made to hear peoples answers....

Lots of Great stuff... Keep em comming you guys!!

Stars for answers...

do i really have to bribe people to have a philosopical conversation around here?

Geez!!!

edit on 8-10-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I actually started a similar thread a while back, and got some very interesting replies. A quote I recently heard by Alan Watts sticks with me.

"Try to imagine what it will be like to go to sleep and never wake up... now try to imagine what it was like to wake up having never gone to sleep.”

Non-existence seems like a paradox of sorts; e.g there's no existence of non-existence. When you look at it from a perspective of awareness and eternity, you will come to believe that existence is simply a default state -- one that can never be turned off. Our brain is an organic computer that is frightened, and confounded, by the notion of being shut off forever. It doesn't make sense how consciousness can no longer be. I think consciousness always will exist, and that human bodies are vessels that receive and project it in a complex form (higher intelligence).

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Yes,I can imagine what it would be like cause I can do it right now.

At the end of the clip is what I mean..............

Fade to black,left with so many questions unanswered.
edit on 8-10-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
Sit and think for a minute...

When you die, if you cease to exist... what would that be like?

You might picture darkness... but how can "darkness" exist if theres nothing to experience it?

You don't experience it..there is no experience.
Or rather
Your experience of it would be the same as your remembered experience a year before your birth..aka, nothing.

You cannot personalize the abyss...

At the point of death, IF there is nothingness... what was the point of existing in the first place?

Procreation perhaps?

Sure..or making the perfect pizza..whatever you find your point overall.
Biologically, to procreate..nothing more/less.
But we are more than our biological makeup, able to ignore the simple drive to breed if we choose. But anyhow, its subjective. your point is yours, mine is mine in regards to a personal point.

Is life really so meaningless?

Your thinking about this wrong.
You will eat tonight, but you will be hungry tomorrow.
So, tonight your going to spend tons of time making a delicious meal, best ingredients, etc...
Whats the point of that considering tomorrow you will biologically not even be effected by it..
You derive meaning through the action, not the end consequence. You will always be hungry again, doesn't mean to not find joy and focus in a single meal now and then.
And life may only be to simply breed..but that doesn't mean you cant...spice it up..even if it doesn't effect any big picture stuff.
Your life, your meaning.
And in itself, it gives more meaning if its your meaning.

Shouldn't there be more to life then just existence?

Shouldn't a good meal make you feel full for a month?
It doesn't. meh..

Non-existence... doesn't exist...

Whacha think about that?

Much love everyone!

Not really a mind blowing new take...sort of the norm. every religion and spiritualist belief tends to say that.

Here is perhaps a more healthy outlook (for me anyhow).
I don't know if there is existance outside of life.
What I do know is that I exist now...and the people around me exist now
And the people no longer with me exist through their influence still, that being a product of whomever influenced them, and so on.

So, in a way, you are immortal if you effect someone..and you do, even if you don't realize it...and that will pass down through time, long after you are gone. ripples in a endless ocean

And when we die..well, assume the worst, hope for the best, but don't focus too much on that, because you are alive today. That might be the only thing you can be relatively sure of.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

My friend...

Now i see why you have that Gold border...

great post, great reply...

One question...

What if you are more then just what you see?

What if you are more then meat?

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
If you want to know what being dead and ceasing to exist is like, get put to sleep in a hospital for surgery. There is no dreaming, there is no consciousness, there's no sense or awareness of anything.

One minute you're being put to sleep, and the next you're waking right back up. Hours passed and it only seemed like a second or less had passed.

That's the best I can explain it, and the easiest way to experience it.

edit on 8-10-2012 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

if you cease to exist...

This is one of my hobbies. I consider it daily, like a meditation. it's like chocolate. addictive.

I've never been able to because it is impossible, but I have fun trying.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
If you want to know what being dead and ceasing to exist is like, get put to sleep in a hospital for surgery. There is no dreaming, there is no consciousness, there's no sense or awareness of anything.

One minute you're being put to sleep, and the next you're waking right back up. Hours passed and it only seemed like a second or less had passed.

That's the best I can explain it, and the easiest way to experience it.

edit on 8-10-2012 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

Been there done that.... doesn't cut it

I definatly dreamed during my surgery....

I also seem to recall flirting with a rather large nurse afterwards....

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

I have been put under for jaw surgery..but had crazy dreams, I will admit the dream felt like 5 minutes but I was out for almost 3 hours. But I no doubt still dreamt. We are all different though, with different experiences.

I also seem to recall flirting with a rather large nurse afterwards....

Haha

edit on 8-10-2012 by Katharos62191 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I guess it would depend on the method they use to put you to sleep. I've had three surgeries and never dreamt, never had any awareness of time or thought or anything.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
reply to post by Akragon

I guess it would depend on the method they use to put you to sleep. I've had three surgeries and never dreamt, never had any awareness of time or thought or anything.

Technically you likely still had dreams, but just didn't remember them...

When we are in that really deep sleep such as with some surgeries, we still dream... we only remember the dreams we have while in the process of waking...

Which btw, pisses me off royally

I've had some incredible dreams only to completely forget the contents of said dream not 20 seconds after i wake...

I had one where i was able to jump incredibly high....superman like.... but i suddenly lost the power and landed in the lake...

but i could breath in water.... obviously because i realized i was dreaming...

Crazy fun though

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

SnF Ak

This is great question to philosophize upon and ponder.

The only way we experience any part of sleep is thru dreams. Other wise, at least for me sleep isn't anything more than missing time between the time we fall asleep and wake up. Some beliefs in an afterlife declare that when we die. It is the same until all are called to judgment. The dead do not roam the earth, as people who study the paranormal would have everyone believe.

So if we cease to exist at death, it wouldn't just be missing time. It would be missing an eternal life. That was meant to be from the beginning, I would surmise.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join