It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Never thought I'd do it, but I dont see a choice here...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

exactly!! thank you!!

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

yep just like i said. its one of those things u have to be american to understand. which is perfectly fine! but many ppl here dont seem to get that... they seem to think like im some sort of moron who dont understand world politics, just because i fail to see symbolism in how to hang up a flag

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

exiteternity
im talking about what makes it so damn special to put a flag upside down. haha this is crazy

What is so special about smushing your body against someone? Probably nothing when it is a bump on a crowded bus. Possibly everything when it is a hug from someone you care about. Intent is everthing.

When I write in a non native language I am able to check my spelling.

Best wishes to you on your adventure.
edit on 9-10-2013 by BardingTheBard because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

exiteternity
haha so strange this thread

it's been explained...hell, even i explained it.....

if you dislike the thread, you could always choose not to participate..

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
That is awesome,homer.
Hoping that this message spreads enough to get something done about it.

Thanks,buddy!

Peace,
K

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Flag worship...I don't get it.

You turned your flag upside down, congrats...I guess you showed them.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by BardingTheBard

okay by that logic, what is so special about anything? obviously it is special to those who think it means something, and unspecial to those who doesnt.
simple.
but i asked for THIS particular case. not general philosophy of what makes things special. thanks for the comment though!

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

Thanks!! some faith in humanity restored

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

exiteternity

yep just like i said. its one of those things u have to be american to understand. which is perfectly fine! but many ppl here dont seem to get that... they seem to think like im some sort of moron who dont understand world politics, just because i fail to see symbolism in how to hang up a flag

i think they assumed you are a moron because they're used to dealing with other americans, or countries who speak english....your spelling, punctuation, and grammar are pretty bad....though, for a non-native speaker, you're doing ok...

i also think they may taken offense at your insistence that that other guy, who was clearly being disrespectful, was right, and "a breath of fresh air".... i think they took your comments of this thread being funny, and all that, as insulting.....

you've acknowledged that you don't get it, you've acknowledged WHY you don't get it, and that's cool...i think we understand one another now..

link   

exiteternity

exactly!! thank you!!

I am not undermining what Homer did. What he is doing is a signal used to indicate distress. It is a verbal statement that, due to the ignorance of folks in America, has an extra impact as they don't know what it actually means.

But the flag, as a national symbol, has little meaning to me other than artistic value.

link   

no you didnt explain it. as i said, i understand why YOU think its special.
but i dont understand why you expect ppl from other side of world to think its special that some american hangs his flag upside down.

but it seems to not go through

and yes i was gonna leave but ppl keep talking to me so i have to answer

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I say we keep the govt. partially shut down until the danger has passed, and that danger is Obamacare.

link   
I support this 100 % I truly hope to see this take hold! Sadly most people dont even know that the government is shut down or what it means until their checks dont come in next month.

link   

thesaneone
reply to post by HomerinNC

Or if we think positive and turn things around we can get the government to fear us.

Never show the government that we feel weak or helpless turn that flag right side up and be proud to be an American.

Yep don't let them ba#tards get you down. Turn that flag right side up, all you do there is disrespect every veteran who ever served. I feel disrespect when the flag i swore to protect is done that way when the danger is not life or country threatening yet. I know that part is debatable. What all of us do is flood their offices with phone calls, take down the phone networks there are so many, tell them fund the govt no strings, talk about all that other chit later. This not how to govern.

Then start organizing by state to perform recall elections. Once they see they are faced with recall they will all change there tune. It is time for the people to rise.....

The Bot

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

okay thanks buddy

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

AlienScience
Flag worship...I don't get it.

You turned your flag upside down, congrats...I guess you showed them.

it's not flag worship.....it's symbolism...

i don't get why people who have nothing constructive to say, go into threads, and just say stuff....i mean, is it your point and purpose to derail the thread?, to be negative for the sake of being negative?

i really don't get why people like you can't just jog on....it's not as if this is a weighty debate on a serious political issue....a guy made a statement, other people here agree with the sentiment, and joined in, some even made similar gestures.....if you didn't, and don't agree with doing so, them move on....why bother saying anything at all?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

A flag is a symbol. Nothing more. You can create various cults around a national flag....but nationalism is a little too creepy to me. I would rather just revere my country in my daily actions, instead of trivial baubles and rituals.

True, but it's a powerful symbol that carries a lot of weight. I agree, blind nationalism is very creepy, just turn on a Sunday football game to witness the horror on display. Our flag, the symbol of our nation and its people is being used on a daily basis to pervert our constitution, flying it upside down is a symbol that We the People do not approve. I see nothing trivial about it. I would love to see all those flags around the Washington monument turned upside down. I'll bet that would cause quite a stir.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

exiteternity

no you didnt explain it. as i said, i understand why YOU think its special.
but i dont understand why you expect ppl from other side of world to think its special that some american hangs his flag upside down.

but it seems to not go through

and yes i was gonna leave but ppl keep talking to me so i have to answer

lol

i don't expect people on the other side of the world to understand.....i don't expect people on the other side of the world to participate in the discussion....it's an american thing, so i figured only americans would give enough of a crap to participate..

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

yes but this is the internet and not america
or please correct me if im wrong, is this american site only?

nop it isnt so expect ppl from the internet (a.k.a no nationality, the way it was meant to be) to question these highly "american only" type threads, and ask questions about them...

ok?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

HomerinNC
reply to post by mrsdudara

Ma'am, this isnt disrespect to the flag, its meant to display a sign of danger to life and property, this government IS a danger to EVERY AMERICAN. thats what the upside down flag represents.
I was a soldier, I'd NEVER disrespect my flag, I am proudly displaying my flag but letting others know we are in danger

Ok, I see the point you are making. For me, I was taught that hanging it upside down was a sign of being Anti American. A hate thing. It was as bad as hanging a cross upside down. So when I see it I feel like people are giving up on what America is supposed to be.

I just hope that YOUR meaning comes across and its not misunderstood by others too.

I fully agree that the government is a danger to everyone.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join