It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Never thought I'd do it, but I dont see a choice here...

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

exiteternity
reply to post by imasheep

Thanks I am not alone on this site afterall lol

but your post didnt recieve any stars and yet it speaks truth hehe go figure

Your preoccupation with stars is confusing. You've already questioned why this thread and the OP have so many flags and stars...yet here, many pages into the thread, still claim you have no comprehension of this thread. Maybe it's your reading comprehension skills that are lacking, not our ability to explain basic Patriotism and love of Country to you. Just sayin'...

Des

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

exiteternity
reply to post by DirtyD

why should i care about a flag? it seems there are more important things to care about than countrys flags??! haha so strange this thread

Do you care about your country? And that's an honest question. If the answer is no then I understand how you fail to recognize the symbolism, even though it's been explained ad nauseam.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

DirtyD
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

A flag is a symbol. Nothing more. You can create various cults around a national flag....but nationalism is a little too creepy to me. I would rather just revere my country in my daily actions, instead of trivial baubles and rituals.

True, but it's a powerful symbol that carries a lot of weight. I agree, blind nationalism is very creepy, just turn on a Sunday football game to witness the horror on display. Our flag, the symbol of our nation and its people is being used on a daily basis to pervert our constitution, flying it upside down is a symbol that We the People do not approve. I see nothing trivial about it. I would love to see all those flags around the Washington monument turned upside down. I'll bet that would cause quite a stir.

THIS i agree with completely.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

It seems the world is now paying attention to this form of American symbolism.

A disabled veteran expressed his frustration with the government shutdown by flying a U.S. flag upside down on the side of a busy Indianapolis road on Tuesday. Former military corporal Joseph Lohman, 25, spent 4 years in the Marine Corps before being injured in a training accident. Currently in need of surgery, his concern over the uncertainty of veterans receiving disability checks led him to stand beside the road for 12 hours. "With the government shutdown, the flag is flown upside down to show that America is in distress," he said.

america.aljazeera.com... own.html
edit on 9-10-2013 by Pinkorchid because: (no reason given)

For those that are having trouble understanding symbolism :-

Symbols are very powerful and can be extremely useful tools in the creation of your world. The Ancients understood the power of symbols and used them extensively in and out of their culture for protection, fertility, wealth, crop germination, death and birth rituals. Naturally, the use of a symbol on an object for a particular task does not in itself bring about these conditions; consciousness must do that. However, using a symbol geared toward a certain thing can help consciousness to release and hone-in on the energy pattern necessary to bring about the desired manifestation.

www.wisdomsdoor.com...
edit on 9-10-2013 by Pinkorchid because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

its not the stars themself.
it is the thought process behind the stars. the stars actually tells you if ppl agree with your post.
or not.
and that post, which was highly agreeable had no stars. therefore one could assume noone agreed with that post, making me think this is some hivementality type thing going on here. they probably saw the post as anti-american and decided to not care about its validity.
same reason ppl put blindly on posts that are pro-american but is filled with bland accusations and hearsay.

thats what i meant.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

wait what? so a countrys flag is synonymous with the country for you guys?
in my country a flag is just a flag it has no symbolic meaning other than the name of country

you see, you cant go around assuming the rest of the world thinks like you do

and to answer your qeustion of course i care about my country! but i dont care about my countrys flag. haha. it is just some colors and a shape. on a piece of cloth.
edit on 9-10-2013 by exiteternity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
The really sad thing is that you have not seen the worst yet.

We will have to hit bottom this time to ever have any hope of getting back up where we should be.

Can it get any worse?

Bet on it.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinkorchid

if the message is "america is in distress" would it then also be the same thing as holding up a picket sign with the words "america is in distress"?

would that have the same affect? if not, then why? why does a flag pack more punch than a picket sign? if the message is the same?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I applaud the OP in his display of feeling toward the current state of affairs.

I truly hope this becomes a National Movement.

It doesn't have to be about the pseudo-shutdown, which is the distraction of the moment, but it is a start. Perhaps it could shift it's focus to be about our disdain for the pseudo-republic that has replaced our once great form of governance.

It doesn't please me that it has come to this, but it would please me to see this display of distress on the lawns and town halls across this once great nation. An ever-present symbol to show that we are collectively moving past the paradigm to a type of Unity against that which does not represent our interest.

The times of trial and tribulation are fast approaching. The only question is how will we suffer? Will we allow this parasitic administration to break our spirits? Or can we finally cast aside our chosen political affiliations, which have thus far driven us to despair, and truly come together to fight this monster.

I am not speaking of a fight in the literal sense, but send a message.... "Do your worst!" Challenge them to break us. If we help each other as family, friend, and neighbor once did in bygone times, they can never defeat us. Our example can reignite the beacon that once shone so brightly that it lit the rest of the world.

This is not the end...
edit on 9-10-2013 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

exiteternity
reply to post by DirtyD

in my country a flag is just a flag it has no symbolic meaning other than the name of country

First of all, you didn't answer my question. Do you care about your country? Secondly, I don't know where you're from (perhaps you can enlighten us) but I certainly don't believe that in your country the flag is meaningless. If you truly believe that, then prove it by going into your town or city square tomorrow, or today, and burn it for all to see. Then record all your fellow citizens walking idly by, not caring that you're burning their nation's flag.

And you wonder why people assume you know nothing about the world.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

exiteternity
reply to post by DirtyD

But, I am American. Yes, my Flag is an important, and emotional symbol to me, and many other Americans.

This is exactly why I've chosen my Flag to symbolize and express my anger, and sadness of what is happening in my Country. This thread and the OP, Homer...inspired me to get my Flag out and join in a peaceful demonstration of my feelings. Tomorrow when the sun rises, I'll place this Flag on the front of my home, in it's upside down position.

My country is in extreme distress...the universally accepted way of showing a Nation in distress is our Flag being flown upside down. Is this explanation enough for you? My Flag will continue to fly in the expression of distress until our Freedoms, won through blood and tears, are no longer being attacked.

It's called making a stand, and sticking by it.

Des

edit on 9-10-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

i did answer.
and to answer your qeustion of course i care about my country! but i dont care about my countrys flag. haha. it is just some colors and a shape. on a piece of cloth.

and trust me, going into town to burn the contrys flag would surely provoke response because burning anything without permission in a public area is illegal.
the fact that it is flag would have no bearing what so ever and you can trust me on that.

the flag has absolutely no meaning in that respect. but of course, doing something so extreme as to going into town square to burn cloth would obvioulsy provoke response!
since its illegal to burn stuff like that!

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by exiteternity

If you are not being deliberately obtuse , then I will explain.

Though a plain sign does showcase the individuals feeling , a flag or other symbol that has been re-enforced time after time by both ceremony and collective honouring there of , has a greater degree of symbolism inherent within it.

This is not new , it has been going on since man drew pictures on cave walls.

This Flag and other objects , such as the Statue of Liberty and even the Uncle Sam symbol have been imbued with patriotic symbolism and those symbols represent a universal language shared by those that honour it and have a common ideology , far greater than the simple symbol itself.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

and i understand it, i always understood it
but you americans seem to assume EVERYONE thinks this strongly about their nations flag

thats my problem im having with it.
just because you ppls think like this dont mean other ppl outside us do.
and there is nothing wrong with that.

have some humility pls and dont accuse ppl for being stupid etc etc, just for questioning this matter, for it is not the same in other countries.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

What I don't understand is why we can't fix stupid. lol Just sayin. I mean.... ya either get it or you don't. Stupid is as Stupid does... I love Forrest Gump.. he was patriotic.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

ahh, your post got 3 stars already yet it contained for me to do something completely redicolous like burning cloth in a public place.

this perfectly illustrates my thesis on the hive mentality going on here where americans blindly just star other american posts here even though they make absolutely no sense, while deliberately not-starring other posts that do make sense but have a questionable approach.

you see, this is actually one big problem of you guys.
and no im not being anti-american. im not being anything acutally, im just calling it like i see it.

and again, no its not about the stars themself so you can skip the embarrasment of accusing me of being jealous of stars, when its clearly not that at all lol.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I wanna thank everyone thats supporting this, please pass on the idea to others

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinkorchid

Exactly!
you see, im not american. I live around the globe. so none of that matters to me. at all.
and in my country we dont have such symbolism.

so.. go figure why i dont understand it. and yes feel free to accuse me of being stupid just because i was raised in a country without such meaningless symbolism.

and as ive said million times, i understand why YOU think its special. but dont expect me to understand it for my self. for me its mundane meaningless symbolism.

also, calling me stupid as MamaJ like to do is not helping

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

I dont find you stupid at all, you dont know our customs, as I dont know yours, and thats okay

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

With us, it's all about the Stars and Stripes. With you it's just about star counting....methinks you have a slight case of star envy....

Des

edit on 9-10-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join