It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake - PART 2

page: 61
<< 58  59  60    62  63  64 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Alekto

On average, 155,000 people die a day. Are you suggesting that 160,000,000 people have died as a direct result of exposure to radiation from Fukushima? Are you high?

No, just my attempt at sarcasm, not too good I guess. Seems like everyone here is blaming Fukushima for every conceivable illness to show up around the world, along with every case of critters in the ocean suffering some ailment or other, birds falling out of the sky. Next it will be that radiation from Fukushima has mutated a flu virus and we are all going to die horrible painful deaths from it. So I just figured maybe we may as well blame ALL deaths on radiation and get it over with.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

vkey08
reply to post by donlashway

You just proved my point with your numbers..

The total radiation over time from all those tests is almost 100X anything Fuki or Cheryn put out.. and WE ARE STILL ALIVE.. Read slive, as in not dead, as in not ceasing as a species as in not on the brink of dying..

I would hope that as far as the rest of your ranting, you have a viable alternative in place before you shut all those reactors down, otherwise there's gonna be some pretty hot days and pretty cold nights as you shiver without power.. Nuclear plants produce (pardon the expression) the most bang for the buck when it comes to power generation, if we could harness Fusion power it would be even more bang for the buck...

nothing compares to it and the need for electricity is so great that we cannot just say "SHUT THEM DOWN ENOUGH IS ENOUGH" without plunging a good portion of the world back into the 1950's

I just posted statistics on deaths from Chernobyl - for you and anyone else who seems to think Fukushima and nuclear reactors are not a problem, great for you - then why post in this forum where we DO believe it is a problem? What is your purpose for posting here? Ignoring what little information is available to begin with that's been posted and is available on problems FROM Fukushima doesn't make it harmless.

Power alternatives - I have said this no less than three times in previous pages - there is clean and safe energy, always has been. I'd rather be back in the 1950's than live with all these meltdowns and explosions. Tesla developed free energy that's being kept from us. Wind, solar, water are free sources of energy. Saying we need nuclear energy is ridiculous - it's been FORCED on us by that industry for THEIR reasons, not our benefit. Like Einstein said - it's a helluva way to boil water!

We are not "still alive" - Cancer rates have skyrocketed and taken MANY thousands of lives - where did the high cancer increases come from if not radiation? Honestly - you posters who continue to just drop in and say no, that's wrong or no, that's a stupid source are not contributing anything to this thread but criticism. What's your real agendas?

I have absolutely not ONE iota of doubt that sufficient dosages of radiation kills - but again, I say, for those who conveniently forget - it is silent, it is accumulative, it takes TIME and then when a cancer pops up years down the road the source of cancer is never realized! Fukushima effects are JUST beginning! It is not going to be stopped for decades if ever.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Alekto
reply to post by Alekto

Sorry. I couldn't add the reply. Anyway.

I'm sorry. But as soon as naturalnews.com is mentioned, all credibility is lost. The site promotes almost every sort of medical crackpot theory known to humanity. Vaccine denialism, AIDS/HIV denial and quack cancer medicine, you name it, it's there.
The site's owner, Mike Adams claims that the pharmaceutical industry is creating HIV vaccines with the sole purpose of creating as many HIV positive peopleas possible to sell anti-retroviral drugs to at a huge profit, and that Mammographic screening creates cancer, which is then expensively treated for huge profits. I could go on. It's pretty hilarious reading that site.

If you cite NaturalNews on any matter whatsoever, you are almost certainly wrong.

And you know these claims are NOT true because....? Where's your proof/source to disclaim any of what you 'say'?

Mammograms can cause cancer -they radiate the breast - go figure, what a coincidence... Vaccines DO innately cause health problems and more than 30,000 deaths a year, but unless you know where to research these 'real' facts people believe they're all good for you. This is a thread about Fukushima, not opinions on sources of information. Let's stay on topic.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by wishes

Actually in this case the source of information means a great deal Wishes.

Natural News will distort, and outright lie if it would make them look good, that's been proven time and time again here on ATS, which is why it has been deemed a very suspect source when quoting any information for many years here.

Fairewinds is about as bad but it's Arnie Gunderson's vehicle to promote his "patented" decommissioning procedure, one that his own company Northeast Utilities fired him over.. because it was so inane..

Again, information is never bad, but sometimes the sources don't actually tell the truth.. In Fairewinds case, unless it's Arnie got the job he will make every Nuclear plant look like it's the devil's own.. and Natural News well.. 5-10 mins of research on them will tell you all you need know about them..

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Reading replies is necessary if there is to be a debate or discussion. Would you agree?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:28 PM link edit quote reply reply to post by vkey08 OK I got it from a bad source, and from the info you gave bet you already know the story came from medical journals originally. WASHINGTON, Dec. 19, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- An estimated 14,000 excess deaths in the United States are linked to the radioactive fallout from the disaster at the Fukushima nuclear reactors in Japan, according to a major new article in the December 2011 edition of the International Journal of Health Services. This is the first peer-reviewed study published in a medical journal documenting the health hazards of Fukushima

I saw a AMA article before I used the story. Never the less there was and is a great debate about the value.

Can I ask if you, any information about Fukushima ? Been awhile sense I took a look, chasing down clues for you.
What do you think is the biggest problem with the holding tanks is ? Not enough or too much radiation?
edit on 12-1-2014 by donlashway because: (no reason given)

There's this story, Tepco “There is no way to shield Bremsstrahlung from contaminated water tanks” Posted by Mochizuki on January 12th, 2014
Do you understand this, "Bremsstrahlung" ? Is it beta radiation because of decay? Is the problem that they have to move the restricted zones back further? Or that they need more workers because of the limits?

Bremsstrahlung defined Bremsstrahlung is a German term that means "braking rays." It is an important phenomenon in the generation of X-rays. In the Bremsstrahlung process, a high speed electron traveling in a material is slowed or completely stopped by the forces of any atom it encounters. As a high speed electron approaches an atom, it will interact with the negative force from the electrons of the atom, and it may be slowed or completely stopped. If the electron is slowed down, it will exit the material with less energy. The law of conservation of energy tells us that this energy cannot be lost and must be absorbed by the atom or converted to another form of energy. The energy used to slow the electron is excessive to the atom and the energy will be radiated as x-radiation of equal energy. If the electron is completely stopped by the strong positive force of the nucleus, the radiated x-ray energy will have an energy equal to the total kinetic energy of the electron. This type of action occurs with very large and heavy nuclei materials. The new x-rays and liberated electrons will interact with matter in a similar fashion to produce more radiation at lower energy levels until finally all that is left is a mass of long wavelength electromagnetic wave forms that fall outside the x-ray spectrum.
link

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

vkey08
reply to post by wishes

Actually in this case the source of information means a great deal Wishes.

Natural News will distort, and outright lie if it would make them look good, that's been proven time and time again here on ATS, which is why it has been deemed a very suspect source when quoting any information for many years here.

Fairewinds is about as bad but it's Arnie Gunderson's vehicle to promote his "patented" decommissioning procedure, one that his own company Northeast Utilities fired him over.. because it was so inane..

Again, information is never bad, but sometimes the sources don't actually tell the truth.. In Fairewinds case, unless it's Arnie got the job he will make every Nuclear plant look like it's the devil's own.. and Natural News well.. 5-10 mins of research on them will tell you all you need know about them..

I asked before to name one thing Arnie has outright lied or misled about with regards to Fukushima - what he does for his business is irrelevant to this discussion in this thread which is about Fukushima's nuclear meltdown, explosion(s) and effects.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Nuclear plant restarts on the table

Japan is going through its first winter without nuclear power since the March 2011 meltdowns at Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s Fukushima No. 1 plant. All of the nation’s 50 nuclear power reactors have remained offline since the Nos. 3 and 4 reactors at Kansai Electric Power Co.’s Oi plant in Fukui Prefecture were shut down for maintenance last September.

The Nuclear Regulation Authority, which examines idled nuclear power plants that utility firms want to restart, must proceed strictly on scientific grounds — focusing on whether their restart plans comply with the new safety regulations, introduced in 2013, that incorporated lessons learned from the Fukushima nuclear disaster. The NRA must not be swayed by political considerations.

As soon as the new safety regulations took effect last July, power companies rushed to apply for the NRA’s assessment of their plans to restart the reactors. Six months on, the NRA has under consideration seven utilities’ plans to restart a total of 16 reactors at nine plants across the country.

The assessment process is taking longer than was initially thought due partly to delays on the part of the power companies preparing massive volumes of paperwork. It remains uncertain how soon the NRA will conclude its examination of any nuclear power plant included in the plans.

Under the new standards — billed as the world’s toughest nuclear regulations — utilities are obliged to install specific countermeasures for major contingencies ranging from core meltdowns to tsunamis.

Reactors will be required to be equipped with a filtered venting system to reduce the amount of radioactive substances released into the environment when pressure needs to be vented from a reactor core during emergencies.

But pressurized water reactors, used mainly at plants in western Japan, have been given a five-year grace period to meet the requirement. (Most of the reactors used in eastern Japan, including Fukushima reactors, are boiling water reactors.)

Source

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Human,
Fukushima Diary

[Column] Readers, please talk to Japanese / Send me your video and audio about how you feel about Fukushima and Japanese Posted by Mochizuki on January 13th, 2014 · No Comments Share on gmailShare on twitterShare on facebookShare on emailMore Sharing Services Though Fukushima is affecting all around the world, Japanese people know least about outside of their own country. They don’t know how they are thought, they don’t know what the international world thinks Japan to be. It’s been almost 3 years but Fukushima Diary is still almost the only site, where a Japanese man to report about Fukushima itself. The percentage of Japanese is about 30% among all the readers of this site. However, they hardly talk to other readers by using the comment section or the chat box. I’m trying to report how actually Japanese people are feeling as much as possible, which mass media do never post. Now I think it’s as important as that to report how non-Japanese people are feeling about Fukushima too. When it comes to Fukushima issue, this site is almost the only tangent between Japan and the world. So I’m very grateful if you send me your video. Any media is ok, such as youtube, vimeo, daily motion, tumblr video etc.. It doesn’t have to be long. If you’re shy, you can record just audio. I just would love you to speak how you feel about Fukushima issue, and your message for Japanese people. Just one thing.. Please be honest. American, French, Brazilian, Taiwanese, whatever your nationality is, wherever you are from, you are appreciated. (Note : I’ll immediately block if you push remedy stuff or any kinds of political / religious activity.) Talking in Japanese would be better, but talking slowly in English would be also ok. Whether it’s compassionate or bitter, it would be a good alarm clock for Japanese. I really wish if you could send me something by the comment section, Facebook, twitter or whatsoever. Thank you for reading this ! Related column.. How guilty each Japanese citizen is about Fukushima accident [URL] Iori Mochizuki Thank you for reading Fukushima Diary.

Human would you be interested in talking to your country man? No state secrets, just what you think or feel ?

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

US sailors

Many are in their twenties, complaining of a terrible host of radiation-related diseases. They are legally barred from suing the U.S. military. Tepco denies that any of their health problems could be related to radiation from Fukushima. The company also says the U.S. has no jurisdiction in the case.

Had read this before with higher numbers involved. If we knew how many ships and what ships, we could know the number of additional sailors proud to do what they could regardless. Just too bad they will never see any help. Does everyone agree they are heroes ?

Thirdly, even if the individual has a cancer it is almost impossible to present evidence to prove that his or her cancer is the excess one which would not have occurred without the radiation exposure. Therefore compensation for damage is almost impossible to obtain. Only one veteran from the USA exposed to radiation in its nuclear bomb programme has ever received compensation: Orvile Kelly. About six months before he died the Veterans Administration admitted that his illness could be attributed to radiation exposure. About 1,000 veteran claims have been refused.[39]

International Association of Atomic Veterans, 236 Massachusetts Avenue. N.E., Suite 306, Washington, DC 20002, USA (tel: 202-543-7711).

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

vkey08 do you have any information on the loss of nuke power in Japan causing suffering ?

I would hope that as far as the rest of your ranting, you have a viable alternative in place before you shut all those reactors down, otherwise there's gonna be some pretty hot days and pretty cold nights as you shiver without power.. Nuclear plants produce (pardon the expression) the most bang for the buck when it comes to power generation, if we could harness Fusion power it would be even more bang for the buck... nothing compares to it and the need for electricity is so great that we cannot just say "SHUT THEM DOWN ENOUGH IS ENOUGH" without plunging a good portion of the world back into the 1950's

From Human's post above, Japan is going through its first winter without nuclear power since the March 2011 meltdowns at Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s Fukushima No. 1 plant. All of the nation’s 50 nuclear power reactors have remained offline since the Nos. 3 and 4 reactors at Kansai Electric Power Co.’s Oi plant in Fukui Prefecture were shut down for maintenance last September.

nuclear power

From the chart looks like Japan is about average, so ....
edit on 13-1-2014 by donlashway because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I heard about this site from someone called Dr. Harris that was recently on coast to coast that overall counters recent Fukushima claims - there's 12 listed, below is a few of their quotes:

All The Best, Scientifically Verified, Information on Fukushima Impacts

In the areas of Japan I visited, radiation dose rates were elevated to about three to four times typical natural radiation dose rates (which are about .1 mrem per hour), but nowhere near as high as natural radiation levels I’ve measured in parts of Iran.

Note - the above article does not clarify if the high 'natural' radiation in Iran can also be contributed to all the uranium weapons used.

There is no public health risk at California beaches due to radioactivity related to events at Fukushima.” By the way, Dean Peterson, Director for Environmental Health Services for San Mateo County, also stated that the radiation is due to naturally occurring minerals typically found in coastal geology.

“Most recent measurements show that Fukushima derived Cs (Cesium) has reached the west coast as of June 2013 by ocean transport but that concentrations of Cs continue to be well below levels thought to pose environmental or public health threats.”

"Like fish sampled thus far in the north Pacific the contribution of Cs to overall exposure of human consumers to radiation by consuming these fish is very small.“

"Babies in the U.S. are not dying from Fukushima radiation."

“So teeny fish in the waters off Japan just a few months after Fukushima had such low levels of radioactivity that they are considered safe to eat under Japanese law. And of this radioactivity, only 10-30% of the total radioactivity found in marine life was attributable to the Fukushima discharges – the rest was from naturally occurring radionuclides… tuna caught off California contains ten times LESS radiation than even the strictest food limit. What’s the theme? DETECTABLE but not HAZARDOUS”

deepseanews.com...

I'm all for good news and reassurances... if they're bona fide... Thoughts?

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Fish with very high levels of cesium found near Fukushima

A fish contaminated with extremely high levels of radiation was found in waters near the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, a government-affiliated research institute said.

The Fisheries Research Agency said Jan. 10 the black sea bream had 12,400 becquerels per kilogram of radioactive cesium, 124 times the safety standards for foodstuffs.

It was one of 37 fish-–all black sea bream--that researchers caught in waters in and off Iwaki in October and November to study the level of radiation to which they were exposed.

Two other fish also exceeded the safety standards of 100 becquerels per kilogram, at 426 becquerels and 197 becquerels, respectively.

The readings of the remaining 34 fish were within the safety limits, according to the Fisheries Research Agency.

Asahi Source

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by donlashway

I am not a Countrymen of the Japanese, i am just a Guest here
and already do to much here in Japan,
i want to keep my Profile a bit down in 2014
because "What do i know", there is no Solution
for any Problem of/in (?) our World!

My own Channel: www.youtube.com...
is already Statement enough on that type of Media,
i like much more to participate on our Discussion in the Real Life
because the intellectual Benefit is much higher!

That Guy from Fuku-Diary get my Respect for what he is doing
(Self-Articulation)
but not for the Quality of his Reports!

Regards

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

GaryN
reply to post by Alekto

On average, 155,000 people die a day. Are you suggesting that 160,000,000 people have died as a direct result of exposure to radiation from Fukushima? Are you high?

No, just my attempt at sarcasm, not too good I guess. Seems like everyone here is blaming Fukushima for every conceivable illness to show up around the world, along with every case of critters in the ocean suffering some ailment or other, birds falling out of the sky. Next it will be that radiation from Fukushima has mutated a flu virus and we are all going to die horrible painful deaths from it. So I just figured maybe we may as well blame ALL deaths on radiation and get it over with.

LOL fair enough. I totally misread that. My apologies.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

wishes
This is a thread about Fukushima, not opinions on sources of information. Let's stay on topic.

Actually, the sources of information are extremely relevant. Are you suggesting that they are not?

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Alekto

"Everything, what communists said about communism, was lie, but everything, what they said about capitalism, was true."
I can sign this wisecrack based on my personal experience and media analyses.
It depends on nature of information and media outlet spreading it. Many times it is easier to say truth then lie. Especially if it is not conflicting with "owners" interests.

BTW and out of topic mentioned above: Now starts to be time for some serious analyses of USSR and Japanese reaction to their respective N disasters counting the worldwide media coverage. For example: Why was USSR not allowed to present their experience on IAEA panel at Vienna? Why is same IAEA in bed with TEPCO?

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Crowdsourced radiation monitoring website to measure Fukushima’s footprint

Ever since the nuclear disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant three years ago, public fears about nuclear fallout have been high, both in Japan and increasingly in the United States.

A scientist from Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution would like to channel that anxiety into information by enlisting the public to fund and participate in a project to monitor radiation levels along the West Coast, just as the isotopes ferried across the Pacific are projected to arrive this spring.

Source

We need your help

There currently is no U.S. or international agency monitoring the arrival of radioactive water from Fukushima along the West Coast. Although we don't expect levels to be dangerously high in the ocean or in our seafood as the plume spreads across the Pacific, this is an evolving situation that demands careful, consistent monitoring to make sure predictions are true.

We at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution already have dozens of seawater samples from the coast of Japan out to the middle of the Pacific, but now we need new samples—from up and down the West Coast of North America and anywhere else we can get them. The trouble is, these samples are expensive to collect and analyze. That is why we are turning to you, your community, and your social network for help.

If you want to propose a sampling location near you, all you have to do is raise the cost of testing and shipping ($550 to $600 depending on location) and we will send you a sampling kit with everything you need. We'll also help by setting up a fundraising webpage that you can email to your friends or post on your favorite social media site that will allow you to spread the word and track your progress.

Ourradioactiveocean

PS: in the case this Posting is against the ToS please inform me

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
12 hours needed for people within 30-km radius of nuclear plants to evacuate: study

At least 12 hours would be needed for everyone living within a radius of 30 kilometers from nuclear power plants in Japan to evacuate in the event of a nuclear accident, according to research results conducted by a private group.

In cases where the use of evacuation routes is limited to national highways due to complex disasters such as earthquakes, people within a radius of 30 kilometers from the Tokai No. 2 Power Station in Ibaraki Prefecture would need five days and a half to complete their evacuation. Those people living near the Hamaoka Nuclear Power Station in Shizuoka Prefecture would likely need about six days to move out of the 30-kilometer zone, the research findings show.

The research, conducted by "Kankyo Keizai Kenkyujo" (research institute on environmental economics), is apparently the first analysis covering all of the nuclear power plants in Japan. The research results highlight the fact that it is almost impossible for all of the residents near a nuclear power station to evacuate fast enough to avoid radiation exposure in the event of an accident in which radioactive substances are released into the atmosphere.

Source

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

vkey08
reply to post by wishes

But then you have: RealTime NON Governmental Monitoring
And the levels on the East Coast around our plants are higher than the West Coast, we know that it's not due to Fukishima....

Also your video shows after, where's the before for comparison? There is none and therefore we don't know what the baseline is for that area, it could very well be in the range shown..

We don't have enough information about the global effects of this incident yes to sit and say game over, everyone's going to die..

Nobody is saying it's not bad, nobody (well TEPECO may be but they live in some odd fantasy land) but to sit here and scream DOOM DOOM GLOOM GLOOM GLOM and not have simple comparatives even 1 month before and one month after would be nice..

For accuracy I find that the radiation network seems to be more on top of how much there ISN'T compared to how much Arnie is screaming there IS...

How do you 'know' the east coast readings aren't higher from Fukushima? We have NO clue of its true mass. Also there's many nuke plants on the east coat that are likely leaking.
Yes, everyone is going to die, is a fact of life. The question is whether or not Fukushima just accelerated it for many of us. And actually there are people saying it's not 'bad' besides Tepco.
If you have read most of this and the first thread you would find it was saturated with documenting data, not as you say sitting here screaming DOOM DOOM GLOOM GLOOM. It's called 'soft kill'. And if someone wants to take a doom and gloom stance about it, why do you care?
Of course it would be nice to have a 'before' reading but who would have thought the biggest nuclear catastrophe in history was about to happen and be irrepairable? The reading was taken a few months after Fukushima in a heavy rainfall in an area that is in the direct path of the prevailing winds from the Japan area. Do you seriously think (the majority) it is NOT from Fukushima?!?

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

JanAmosComenius
reply to post by Alekto

"Everything, what communists said about communism, was lie, but everything, what they said about capitalism, was true."
I can sign this wisecrack based on my personal experience and media analyses.
It depends on nature of information and media outlet spreading it. Many times it is easier to say truth then lie. Especially if it is not conflicting with "owners" interests.

BTW and out of topic mentioned above: Now starts to be time for some serious analyses of USSR and Japanese reaction to their respective N disasters counting the worldwide media coverage. For example: Why was USSR not allowed to present their experience on IAEA panel at Vienna? Why is same IAEA in bed with TEPCO?

Interesting you mentioned Russia was not permitted to present at an IAEA panel in Vienna. Do you have any sources/details about that? I think there's many people who want to do the right thing and help but they're not being allowed, otherwise there would be a major international movement, like there was when those three whales were stranded in the arctic years back. Is obscene what they're (not) doing/allowing.

top topics

<< 58  59  60    62  63  64 >>

join