It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake - PART 2

page: 59
<< 56  57  58    60  61  62 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by wishes

I've done enough cancer research to know chemo is not a cure

Why do you keep bringing up chemo? We are talking about radiation.

I am unaware of any cancers cured by radiation

What about the 95% cure rate for radioactive iodine in thyroid glands?

From Natural News...

Pure garbage site, just like enenews, no science, lots of sensationalist rubbish, used to sell useless junk to the unsuspecting punter. IMO, of course.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I thought I'd post this link as they tend to publish some relevant information on Japan as well as commentary on other radiation reports like the one on the California beaches:
blog.safecast.org...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by UnderGetty

Snopes finally weighed in on Jan 5, calling the story bunk , and observing that professional conspiracy sites habitually repeat totally unsubstantiated stories like these, “creating the misleading impression that such material is being reported by multiple legitimate news sources.” This is one of the more important lessons, and something we hope everyone takes to heart: just because a web site LOOKS like a legitimate news outlet doesn’t mean it actually is. Lots of them do no fact checking whatsoever and will publish anything likely to capture clicks, the more outrageous the better. Caveat Lector. January 7, 2014 17:29 Posted by azby on January 7, 2014 17:29 No Responses Contributor

just because a web site LOOKS like a legitimate news outlet doesn’t mean it actually is.
Should be the disclaimer here, instead of deny ignorance.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I would like to see nuclear "experts" and all of the nay sayers take a nice long walk down to any of the beaches in Half Moon Bay, fill up an 8 oz glass of ocean water and drink er' down on live camera. Then dive right in and go for a nice long swim. Hey, it's safe, right? Do this once a week, and let's see how well things go. Let THEM be the canary in the coal mine. And if nothing happens... why then, I guess we'd have no worries at all.
edit on 9-1-2014 by Aisling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Well, to start the new year off on the right foot; TEPCO gives us a new web cam view.

Notice: Starting from January9, 2014, images of Unit 1&4 side of the station are provided. This is the images of Unit 1 side of the station.

cam #2
Let's try not to criticize, condemn or complain about it, just be grateful!

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
The Fukushima “Underground Nuclear Explosions” Hoax

Lately we’ve seen a spate of Fukushima-related hoaxes which have gone viral, one of which claims that the Russian navy detected two underground atomic explosions at Fukushima on Dec 31, prompting the Russian gov’t to order protective measures. We’ve gotten a lot of emails about it from people who are worried, and who have also been hearing the other alarming (and untrue) stories.

As far as anyone can tell, this one was just totally made up by a well-known conspiracy fabulist, who claims to be the leader of an ancient apocalyptic religious sect. It’s probably better to consider him a humorist, though.

The story, “Underground Nuclear Explosion At Crippled Japan Atomic Plant Shocks World,” appeared on Jan. 2, and was immediately aggregated on a more widely viewed news site, which itself has been alleged by the Southern Poverty Law Center Hatewatch Blog to have ties with white supremacists, and which has published other unintentionally amusing articles from the same source like “US Earthquake Weapon Test Fails Again, Destroys New Zealand City.”

The “underground explosion” article contains no actual citations or sources for the claims, includes a photo of the “explosion” which is actually of Unit 3 from March 2011, a “nuclear fallout map” which was itself immediately debunked as a hoax when it first appeared back in 2011, and something we’ve never seen before, a map showing the supposed “Fukushima melt-through point” in the Atlantic off Argentina. Some might consider this proof that the author has a good sense of humor

Safecast

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Very scary stuff

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
X-Rays....

Wonder what is the strength on these X-rays....

The level of radiation at the plant's border rose to more than 8 milisieverts in annualized figures in December, from less than 1 milisievert in March in the same year.

The regulators say that's due to the increasing number of storage tanks for radioactive water at the plant. There are now about 1,000 tanks at the site.

They explained that the water basically emits beta-rays, which are too weak to penetrate the steel tanks. But they say, when beta-rays hit metals, stronger X-rays come out of the tanks, affecting the environment.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Purplechive
X-Rays....

Wonder what is the strength on these X-rays....

The level of radiation at the plant's border rose to more than 8 milisieverts in annualized figures in December, from less than 1 milisievert in March in the same year.

The regulators say that's due to the increasing number of storage tanks for radioactive water at the plant. There are now about 1,000 tanks at the site.

They explained that the water basically emits beta-rays, which are too weak to penetrate the steel tanks. But they say, when beta-rays hit metals, stronger X-rays come out of the tanks, affecting the environment.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

- Purple Chive

Gotta love this one too... is not like these things are 'urgent' or 'critical' or they have back up plan(s) besides duct tape ... Does anyone know/remember when the ALPS treatment system 'broke'? And now it's a faulty crane motor they're going to 'look into'... Yeah, no expenses spared in the nuke industry to look after their products (sarcasm).

TEPCO restarts water treatment system at Fukushima Tokyo Electric Power Company has restarted a system to treat radioactive wastewater at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. TEPCO put the ALPS system back online on Friday. A crane to transfer containers that store removed radioactive materials had stopped working on Tuesday. One of the crane's 4 motors had broken down, but the utility confirmed that the crane works with just the remaining motors. The company says it will replace the faulty motor and look into the cause of the breakdown. ALPS is said to be able to remove almost all radioactive substances from wastewater. TEPCO has been running the system on a test basis and hopes to start full operation in April. Tackling the huge amount of water is a key step in dealing with the aftermath of the March 2011 accident. But ALPS has been hit by a series of troubles and it remains unknown whether the system can operate reliably. Jan. 10, 2014 - Updated 10:46 UTC

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I love how easy it is for everyone sitting behind a computer to say "They are doing X y and Z and it's wrong"

or "Arnie Gunderson is a god on this subject" (I'll get to him in a moment...)

1) There was a meltdown, this is proven verifiable fact through multiple resources that are not A)Governmental and B) Gunderson Linked.

2) There is currently a problem with keeping the cooling pools intact.. again see above...

3) It is certainly a bad situation... absolutely no-one will argue that.

4) Is it still a relatively safe form of electricity, yes.. why? Well let's look at this a little closer..

(I am lucky in this regard my father built and designed the scanners all coal and oil fired plants use to look at the flames in the combustion chambers so I have gathered a little background into each type of fuel used)

a) A coal fired plant actually spews out MORE radiation a year than a functioning Nuclear plant.. OMG THAT IS HERACY ARNIE SAYS SO.. Well again I'll get to Arnie in a sec... but yes that is a scientific and verifiable fact.. why... Coal is slightly radioactive, and when a coal plant is burning coal smoke comes out of the big stacks and disperses, hence radioactivity becomes airborne, it's all natural, nothing unnatural about it..

b) Oil fired plants produce more greenhouse gasses than any other.. Again.. look at Deepwater Horizon etc... and the fires in the Gulf that burned at Oil wells.. cars, gasolene, propane, need i go on.. BUT ARNIE SAYS!!!! AND HE IS MY PERSONAL NUCLEAR GOD!!!! (we're not talking about Arnie yet so calm down.)

c) Mining coal is dangerous, look at today's news out of West Virginia and Virginia... BUT BUT BUT I WANNA GET TO MY GOD ARNIE GUNDERSON...

d) ARNIE ARNIE ARNIE (hush he's next) GOOD! First though.. a little primer on Nuclear power.. Enriched Uranium Pellets like are used in reactors are not really that enriched.. they are 4% uranium and about 96% filler.. that's it.. When they are used up and in their tidy rods, at the end they come out at a toasty 2K degrees F, and must be kept under 120degree or less water for about 10 years, or they will catch on fire, not melt down, but catch on fire, see Coal Smoke Stacks above for that scenario..

Fine.. about Arnie..

Arnie Gunderson, while prolific in his doom and gloom (and we've dealt with him for MANY a year in CT) is no more an "expert" on Nuclear power than I am.. He is LIcensed to run a small IN CLASSROOM (read very very tinylike desk sized) reaction chamber, NOT a Nuclear Power Plant.. look it up if you don't believe me.. and that license has since expired. Arnie Gunderson fo rall his claims of whistleblowing was actually let go from Northeast Utilities for being a rather large pain in the rear trying to get information to start his latest concern... Fairewinds Energy... DO you know what Fairewinds does? It doesn't actually educate anyone on Nuclear Power, it takes anything that is proven and throws it out in favor of Arnie's "patented Nuclear Decommissioning System" that he wants ALL Plants int eh world to use as the only one, the guy is out to make a buck, seriously, again, I'm not going to post it all here, you can do a simple 5 minute Google search, it won't kill you to not be screaming THE END OF THE WORLD IS HERE ARNIE SAYS SO for a few minutes..

My point is, while the situation is bad, admittedly, do some extra research about the people that are screaming the loudest because it could turn out they also have an agenda that may not just be in everyone's best interest..

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Personally I don't find Arnie 'doom and gloom', he's just talking about the obvious in terms us 'laypeople' can understand. The event itself, as you say, is all by itself 'bad'. I would say it's catastrophic, not 'bad'. What has he exactly said about Fukushima that is not true?

If you have proof he lied about his credentials please post a source. He has an interest in making money decommissioning nuclear power plants you say? So what? Is better than building them! Is a capitalistic society, everybody has to eat. Do you work for free?

Interesting info on coal burning - personally I advocate for hydro, solar, wind or Tesla's free energy that we will never be allowed to use.
Nuclear power is dangerous and toxic - this 'bad' event Fukushima is more than enough testament to that!

Not sure in the end what your point is.... we're over-reacting? Not likely - the situation is not in control and not going to be under control for DECADES if ever! How on earth can anyone defend this? Is all the information 'out there' completely accurate? Of course not - secrecy and inaccuracies guarantee that - the people in this forum are trying to piece together the reality of it. If you can 'prove' it is only 'bad' and not 'catastrophic' to the air, earth and ocean I'm all ears. I'd LOVE to be wrong!!! But I believe (unfortunately) the Fukushima f-up is as bad as we here think it is.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by wishes

My point was made at the end..

I also said I wasn't going to do the work that in any other topic on this site everyone would have done already except in this case it's Arnie so everyone overlooks it. Nuclear Operating Licenses are a matter of Public Record, like I said, don't believe it, look it up.

Now, Please tell me where I said it wasn't a really bad situation, I agree Fukishima, and the accident is monumentally the worst Nuclear power generating accident we have EVER witnessed on the planet.. Do I think Good ole Arnie is the guy to contain it? HELL NO WAY!!! He's finally left us i here in CT to settle in VT and cause them headaches, they can have him..his Fairewinds crudola and his subtle "But I can do it for you for 19.99 an hour" mentality..

Ya know if it were any other type of accident, Arnie's antics would be laughable, it's precisely because it's such a serious situation, that he gets away without the credentials checking.. Took me no more than 5 minutes before i was in tears laughing.. And then the article some years ago in the Courant made sense finally. They called him at the time a rather derogatory name that never made sense to me, until I found out what he was rated to "run" for a reactor..

Now should we move to a cleaner form of energy yeah, we most certainly should, there's some tidal and non tidal (wavetype) generating options I think are great, I posted links to them in one other thread on Fuki. DO I think that this is going to kill us all off in the next couple of years like Gunderson says if the cooling pool loses it's water? NO way in hell.. Ain't happening.. for the one cooling pool worth of rods to kill every man woman and child on Earth, it would have to be PURE, it would have to be a rod the size of Antarctica, and the fire would have to burn over 90% of the globe. 4% enriched Uranium will not produce a fire in the pool that will have an effect much outside of a small geographic area.. maybe, maybe at the very edge of 100 miles.. would that be bad, of course I'm from Japan originally, I don't' want to see my home a barren wasteland, but I also know that it's not world ending, even at it's worst..

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

but I also know that it's not world ending, even at it's worst..

Unless it is you or your child that makes up the statistics ?
Do you have numbers of sick, dead, sterile or suffering that you think are O.K. ?

Is the relation to profit affected ? Are profits from pharma and medical included ?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

But prosecutors decided to exempt all of them, saying in a statement that TEPCO could not predict an earthquake and tsunami of that size, while government officials were not legally responsible over their post-quake response.

* insert head spinning puking smiley here *

Maybe they couldn't predict WHEN an earthquake/tsunami was going to hit, but they were still negligent in failing to adequately design the facility withstand these events AT SOME FUTURE TIME.

As it was, it came to light that the facility was not built to the specification that it should have been. SOMEONE knew this who had the power to change it, but didn't. Who were they?

This is not just about some regulatory failure in Japan, but about a disaster that AFFECTS THE WHOLE WORLD. With disasters such as this, people should be going to jail for a very long time.

* insert another head spinning puking smiley here *

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

You said "My point is, while the situation is bad, admittedly, do some extra research about the people that are screaming the loudest because it could turn out they also have an agenda that may not just be in everyone's best interest.."

And I said while you call it 'bad' I call it catastrophic. Bad to me is breaking a leg; catastrophic is coming down with a plague and no medical help. Fukushima is a plague with no end in sight. The MORE people that talk/scream/rant about its reality the better!

You are the one ranting about Arnie, and I asked that if you had proof he lied about his credentials or the state/effects of Fukushima to post a source. I'm not interested in researching it, it's your rant - back it up and show that his (lack of) credentials effects his assessment of Fukuhima such that he's outright wrong. David Suzuki, Michio Kaku, Leuren Moret & Helen Caldicott are also on the Fukuhima (and other nuclear disasters) bandwagon. None of them see this in any kind of good light either. They all basically say the same thing and the news isn't good. Are they wrong too? Or does someone have to have umpteen doctorates and umpteen decades first hand experience to be able to accurately assess and talk/scream/rant about Fukushima?

I'm not a lawyer but I can sure give an accurate assessment of the law because of my 'experience'. I'm not a contractor but I can sure give an accurate assessment of cost and everything needed to repair, renovate or build a house because of my 'experience'. And I can assure you I met lawyers who are totally stupid and insane yet they would have more credibility than me because of their 'credentials'. So what?

Anyways - this a thread about Fukushima, not Arnie.

ps - it's not just about a 'bit' of uranium - is a lot of plutonium and other 'goodies' too finding their way into every living thing.

edit on 10-1-2014 by wishes because: additional comment

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Welcome back, hope the vacation has rejuvenated you and the new year brings you joy.

Would you be interested in assisting or helping me, understand or translate information I find in Japanese ?

Like this map:

map

sincerely, don

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

In the earlier post I mentioned the profits obtained from nuking the planet, made me think, so could I add a quote from the first article that came up from a search ?

The Solid Gold Source The cancer business is second only, in size, to its big brother, petrochemicals. In the 20 years from 1970 to 1990, in the USA alone, the cancer business was worth an estimated 1 trillion dollars ($1,000,000,000,000).2 If the same percentage of the overall disease bill applies in Britain as in the US, the current expenditure on cancer will be 3 to 6 billion pounds per year. With these kind of amounts involved it is quite understandable why the drug/radiation/scalpel/vivisection cancer cartel have maintained a constant, ruthless campaign to suffocate, at birth, any and all attempts to introduce rational therapeutic regimes to deal with the species-threatening plague.

the cancer business
the war on cancer
OK, so there is a clear profit motive for promoting nuclear energy. I'm sure there are other profit avenues available too, but please consider the people and the earth.
edit on 11-1-2014 by donlashway because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by donlashway

Thank You!

on the right Side:
In Blue you see the Names of the Measurement Stations (Towns, Places, Villages)
In the white Boxes you see the actual (Now) measurements after 03/11
(in the Air)
In the grey Boxes you see the max. observed Levels before 03/11
(in the Air)

Inside of the Map:
Wind/ Direction and Rain

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Great thank you!
Can you tell me are the readings equal to mili (0.001 ) or micro ( 0.000001 ) Sv / hr

There is that strange symbol = with dots, not sure on that one.

Again thank you.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

wishes

You got proof Fukushima isn't an ELE event and raining down all over me?

Yes. Nobody is dying.

top topics

<< 56  57  58    60  61  62 >>

join