It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this new hotness here to stay this time?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
My ATS if back to normal today. I am totally confused and perplexed. I kind of liked the new one. I cant handle change. Changing it back and forth will cause me to take another hiatus.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sharingan
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

The rationale for the needed change has been explained exhaustively. Objects at rest tend to stay at rest.

Yes, we read your illogical logic.

That's actually Newton's First Law of Motion. His 3 laws are the basis of all mechanics. The epitome of logic.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Sharingan
Alienate 70% of the desk top members to cater to the 30% of the mobile users.. your numbers, not mine.

Based on what I wrote to start the open member testing of the release candidate, your statement has no relevance to the rationale.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Yea, I saw how you treated the dissenters last night, the only thing you could do was throw that beta test link up in a weak defense.
Let me ask you this, what if i said it was all crap, especially the design and the UI. Would it made any difference in the release, if I said it last week or today? Nah, I seriously doubt it.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Sharingan

You are so against change, I doubt you even change your own underwear.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I had the new style for a few mins earlier but really didn't like the font that much. Looking for options to change it but couldn't find it. Otherwise (as far as I could tell in the short time) it was "ok". To be honest, I myself would not sacrifice WHAT WORKS for something "snazzy" just because it has a "web2.0 style" (eg. large buttons etc.) to it. In fact, the web2.0 style many sites adopt starts to annoy me since it's nothing but a fad. There is nothing wrong with the current style/layout of the site.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sharingan

Yea, I saw how you treated the dissenters last night, the only thing you could do was throw that beta test link up in a weak defense.
Let me ask you this, what if i said it was all crap, especially the design and the UI. Would it made any difference in the release, if I said it last week or today? Nah, I seriously doubt it.

Sorry but I can't help myself with the irony of your signature "Its easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission"

would an apology from SO make it better.

On a more serious note, I think you made your point with numerous others including myself about the new look. However, at the end of the day ATS has to make a decision that helps meet their goals both short and long term, which we might not be privy to.

Plus ,I doubt ATS is foolish enough to make changes to purposely lose or piss off viewer ship or add additional work and waste money on implementing frivolous changes for the sake of it. So we should give them the benefit of the doubt and not take it so personal. Also as they are the owner of the site we have the option to accept the changes, move on, or start our own site.

However, If its to much to bare the changes than try using firefox with many of its available extensions and add ons to personalize it.

edit on 6-9-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Sharingan

I have no clue what you are talking about, unless it is about obese people. Change your britches. The ones you are wearing are old and stale, as is your sour attitude, and the old version of ATS. Not everyone is going to cater to you, especially how you behave.

Go start your own site LOL and we will all come over there and tell you how much we hate it and so forth. And then threaten to leave it because you won't change it to how we like. Then we will all keep coming back, change our avatars to say how we hate it. Sound fair?
edit on 6-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I really dig the new site.
I played around with some of the user panel color settings for my panel behind my avatar.

The only thing I really missed was the live.php page.
I constantly live on that page all day long.
And not having it kinda of throws me for a loop.

Is there any way you can tuck that away somewhere so taht it's still accessible?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

grey580
The only thing I really missed was the live.php page.

The "AJAX" method for polling the three possible categories was problematic on two fronts: server stress and end-user incompatibility.

Once you get used to the different format, the "NEW" page in ATS.5/3 is actually much more efficient. When we moved to doing manual Twitter and Facebook updates of important threads, there was a lot of quickly-trending topics on ATS that "Live" didn't show soon enough, or at all... and the "NEW" page in ATS.5/3 showed everything.

For example, if a thread is the third-youngest, and suddenly has 12 replies, it's getting attention quickly. That situation right there is something that didn't show in "Live" until almost an hour later.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
If they do switch over to the new format, from what I've seen from other content contributors who really use this as a type of web publishing tool, it will definitely help curb or cure our ATS addiction, and that's not such a bad thing maybe..

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
A new thread has been started:
Using the new features and and functions of ATS.5/3
It will help explain all the new features and functionality.

It's closed for now, but will be opened once all the instructions are complete.
edit on 6-9-2013 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Thanks. Marking this post for reference.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

The new ATS.5/3 site and UI WILL be launching soon. The opportunity for general feedback beyond things that are broken is over. The rationale for the needed change has been explained exhaustively. Objects at rest tend to stay at rest.

Hey, best of luck with it. Really. My daughter emails me via her mobile phone. The messages get boggled somehow, to the point where some of the messages are incoherent. This is what will happen to all the threads (IF the membership increases in the numbers you're hoping for).

Still wishing you the best. I've had a lot of fun here for the last few years. But, sadly, all good things must come to an end.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
A new thread has been started:
Using the new features and and functions of ATS.5/3
It will help explain all the new features and functionality.

It's closed for now, but will be opened once all the instructions are complete.

I think that will be a big help!! But right now your link is broken. It has a .dev at the url start.

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
@ SO

You know, considering how you're not going live till Monday, maybe you can incorporate some of the things in this thread since so many missed the beta.

Saying "it's over and that's IT", may be correct, but not exactly "contributor friendly".

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Get ready for thousands of threads from mobile users, and they will look like this (at least I think this thread was created by mobile). Garbled mobile messages
edit on 9/6/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

jiggerj
This is what will happen to all the threads (IF the membership increases in the numbers you're hoping for).

Nothing about intentions for membership increases, or relaxed standards for posts from mobile devices has ever been mentioned.

If 30+% of all visitors coming to a website were using toaster, don't you think it's a smart strategy for that site to make sure it's easily read on toasters?

All the "reactionary nay-sayers" are lamenting some kind of inevitable flood of txting-shorthand posts from kids on cell phones just because we now work better on mobile devices. The reality is that smartphones are more of a content consumption device for the majority of users... and we've had constant, and increasing requests to make ATS either work better on mobile, or launch a mobile app. The reason has always been, "So I can check in on ATS wherever I am," or some variation.

The more important aspect is to give our members the ability to immediately post photos of important events to which they may be witness. To me, enabling this type of "citizen journalism" is the reason ATS exists, and not keeping up with contemporary demand would be simply stupid.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I have no doubt that your intentions are honorable, but this what you're going to get: Garbled mobile messages

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join