It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this new hotness here to stay this time?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I hate the new site, its a pain too navigate around as nothing is labelled anymore. It also looks less intellectual. When the switchover happens I know for certain i won't be visiting as frequently as I do now.

King

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

jiggerj
This is what will happen to all the threads (IF the membership increases in the numbers you're hoping for).

Nothing about intentions for membership increases, or relaxed standards for posts from mobile devices has ever been mentioned.

If 30+% of all visitors coming to a website were using toaster, don't you think it's a smart strategy for that site to make sure it's easily read on toasters?

All the "reactionary nay-sayers" are lamenting some kind of inevitable flood of txting-shorthand posts from kids on cell phones just because we now work better on mobile devices. The reality is that smartphones are more of a content consumption device for the majority of users... and we've had constant, and increasing requests to make ATS either work better on mobile, or launch a mobile app. The reason has always been, "So I can check in on ATS wherever I am," or some variation.

The more important aspect is to give our members the ability to immediately post photos of important events to which they may be witness. To me, enabling this type of "citizen journalism" is the reason ATS exists, and not keeping up with contemporary demand would be simply stupid.

May I enquire as too which mobile devices and browsers the mobile site works better on?
Its truly awful on my SGS3 with dolphin browser

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I couldnt agree more with this

Given that in some countries, journalism is so controled that it is basically a state propeganda department in all but name, I think making sure that our members can be mobile and connected when there are important events in the offing is pretty crucial. Obviously, no body wants to see an era of ATS that includes txt spk n da lyk, *ahem* but anyone posting in such a lazy fashion will still be looking at a T&C violation I would have thought, since actual English is the language which is accepted here, not cyber-twit.

All that has changed as far as I can tell with the new set up, is the layout, and appearance of the site. Most of the functions which were being used in any profusion what so ever have been retained, and some have even been improved. The fact is that the only thing that is aggravating some members, is that change, which they do not tend to appreciate, will come wether they wish it to or not. Never mind the fact that the site will be better after the change, because users will be able to send data better from thier phones, recordings of audio, video, photographs, and do it all a damn sight easier, never mind all that, because the chaaaannngge is SCAAAARRRYYY!!!

WHAT ARE WE? FIVE YEARS OLD?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

kingears
May I enquire as too which mobile devices and browsers the mobile site works better on?
Its truly awful on my SGS3 with dolphin browser

"Truly awful" doesn't give me much information.

With respect to Dolphin, it's been tested on a Galaxy Tab2 and iPhone5 without issues.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I post a lot on my phone, and have never, and will never use text shorthand. But I'm also glad that they're creating a site that works a lot better on my phone than the current site does. You just don't know how many times I've wanted to throw my phone on the current site because it won't do what it's supposed to do, then suddenly does it too well (I click a link and click a link and click a link and nothing happens, then suddenly have four tabs open).

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

TBH I've been posting from my phone on the new ATS for a month or so now.

It's not at all an issue.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by jiggerj

Well, you're a person that demands better of yourself. I don't know if it's the quality of the mobile device, the acceptance of online shorthand, or just laziness, but too many people just don't care to use clear and concise English.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
To be fair predictive text has alot to answer for...

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I had no problems whatsoever posting on ATS from my iPhone on the old board other than not being able to read my private messages. Avatars were not cut in half either like they were on the new set up.

Honestly I prefer to post from my PC, but do a lot of browsing and lurking on the iPhone. Probably because it's easy to quietly use in bed late at night.

Anyway, I like the old ATS, But I like the new ATS too, It quickly grew on me. The Dark option should be default though, the white hurt my eyes. Looking forward to Monday. ~$heopleNation

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

It's waaay easier, as a Mod who uses mobile A LOT, to assist members using 5/3. And to applaud.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by jiggerj

Well, you're a person that demands better of yourself. I don't know if it's the quality of the mobile device, the acceptance of online shorthand, or just laziness, but too many people just don't care to use clear and concise English.

Yes, and that combined with drive by posts from mobile devices with little thought is likely more the reason for a fall off in site traffic than the actual format.

Quality of posts and quality of threads has gone downhill here for awhile now and many have complained, then left. I'd expect it to get worse now that ATS is catering to those types of posters rather than those who use ATS from their PC, which appears to be a higher level of and more thoughtful group of posters.

The better, more detailed threads/OP's and the longer, more thought out posts are largely not being done on mobile devices, yet those are not only the types of posts which have caused people to leave but now are the types of posts being encouraged. When you cater to mobile devices you're catering to a lower standard of posting.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

All of my serious posts are done on the laptop, but sometimes even on the truck it's just easier to pick up the phone. The new sure works so much better than the current one with my phone.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Plus - if you saw breaking news or an Earth-shattering story or a chem-trail - (GASP!) - you could quickly and easily share it with the ATS community.

Members control 99% of content on ATS - what they post, what they flag, what they star, what they reply to. 5/3 makes all of that easier, faster and more relevant to the rest of the web.
edit on 9/6/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I will give the new page a try.
And let you know my observations.

I'm so used to the other way that it will take some time getting used to it

Personally though. I was fine with that live page not being ajax and just refreshing every minute or so.
Half the time I had to manually refresh it anyways because it got stuck just spinning.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Yeah I didn't have any real problems with the new set up on my iPhone either. I only played around on it for awhile though because I was home, so I switched to my PC. My only complaint was the avatars being cut off.

So in the account section on the new board, I uploaded my same PC avatar in the new Mobile avatar section, and the avatar then was no longer cut off and looked fine on the iPhone. It just has no background image which really isn't a big deal to me.

However, I wonder if that means that if you post in a thread from your phone, but later log in on your PC, that post, even on your PC, will only show your avatar but no background? I guess we will know soon enough. ~$heopleNation

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

It really is. I was amazed at how much less I wanted to put my phone under one of my steer tires, and roll until my trailer cleared it.

As for the chemtrails I really need a decent camera. It'd drive people nuts if I posted half the contrails I see out here. Haha.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Not sure what's going on but when I logged in yesterday it went to the new site and I bookmarked just like I had the old site. Logged on today and got 404 on the new link and am now viewing in the old version. Is it on or not?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TXTriker

It's off line for tweaking and perfecting but it will go forward.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This hiatus as it were, and the reversion to the old layout, has only confirmed my already strong belief that the new layout is excellent and far better. When I logged in today I was rather sad to see the old site again, I thought it (the new one) had been scrapped. Please don't stone me or nail me to a tree as a heretic

edit on 6-9-2013 by jonjonj because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I really felt disappointed to see the old site, however my feeling is that the new one will come back right? One question I had for the new one was that I could not find the replies for some reason. I am not worried about it though and look forward to navigating the new ways when it does reappear. Oh one more thing how do I make the back ground darker as well?

One suggestion, if SO or anyone else competent could do one of those video tutorials, that would help me as I am a audio/visual learner.

edit on 6-9-2013 by antar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join