It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India Needs A Huge Injection Of Feminism - And It Will Happen.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NiNjABackflip

I would imagine that firstly feminism would bring value to the female gender, not at the expense of men but rather working with them to achieve such a way of thinking. What caught my attention was the amount of men that were protesting/causing upset over the incident with the medical student being beaten and raped in a bus. Its almost like they know they're living in a society that NEEDS to change its attitudes to many things.

Its all a shame really because i thought Buddhism being the heart of India, their culture would reflect such a peaceful religious sect. Feel so naive to learn that it is anything but. Grateful that these women are not being beheaded for looking at a man but there is definitely work to be done.

Im sorry to hear you've had such a bad run in with feminist's but thank you for bringing your experience and thoughts into this thread.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by NiNjABackflip
reply to post by benrl

Same. My wife works at a hotel and many Indian people work there. The caste system is still in effect, as those of a higher caste sit away from those of a lower caste, despite them all having the same job and making the same wage. It is very strange to see in a western country, but still nonetheless happens.

I just want to add onto this, i have asian friends who are 3rd generation Pakistani and their caste system is still effectively in place. My friend (24 y/o) is not allowed to marry a boy who is of lower caste, its craziness. I learned last night that her family are now planning to marry her off to someone "back home" purely because of his caste/ties to the family. I feel like on some levels, she is oppressed - But her family have made her "dutiful" to maintain their honour etc.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Sorry, invading again, really am gone after this post, but had to correct you on this

Its all a shame really because i thought Buddhism being the heart of India,

Wrong, it's Hinduism actually religions of india

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by destination now

Sorry, invading again, really am gone after this post, but had to correct you on this

Its all a shame really because i thought Buddhism being the heart of India,

Wrong, it's Hinduism actually religions of india

Fair enough, i was just under the impression that Buddhism as a movement had a lot of roots in India.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

just noticed your other thread about qualifications..I'll post my thoughts about that on that thread (don't worry, I have a 19yr old daughter currently in college and have been an education advisor for local govt, so not intending to give you a hard time, just some advice)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I think it goes back to hte idea that women should be hte ones that deal with the children and do the less physically demanding things and the men are hte ones that do the rest.

We're moving away from that I think because as people gain education and wealth they have less children. Another reason is that there's less focus on physical things in a modern workforce.

There's some evidence that men's brains are better at spatial or narrow things or even mathematical things. The latter thing has to do with gray matter and white matter.

Read here:
www.livescience.com - Men and Women Really Do Think Differently...

The brain is made primarily of two different types of tissue, called gray matter and white matter. This new research reveals that men think more with their gray matter, and women think more with white. Researchers stressed that just because the two sexes think differently, this does not affect intellectual performance.

Psychology professor Richard Haier of the University of California, Irvine led the research along with colleagues from the University of New Mexico. Their findings show that in general, men have nearly 6.5 times the amount of gray matter related to general intelligence compared with women, whereas women have nearly 10 times the amount of white matter related to intelligence compared to men.

"These findings suggest that human evolution has created two different types of brains designed for equally intelligent behavior," said Haier, adding that, "by pinpointing these gender-based intelligence areas, the study has the potential to aid research on dementia and other cognitive-impairment diseases in the brain."
n human brains, gray matter represents information processing centers, whereas white matter works to network these processing centers.

The results from this study may help explain why men and women excel at different types of tasks, said co-author and neuropsychologist Rex Jung of the University of New Mexico. For example, men tend to do better with tasks requiring more localized processing, such as mathematics, Jung said, while women are better at integrating and assimilating information from distributed gray-matter regions of the brain, which aids language skills.
This research also gives insight to why different types of head injuries are more disastrous to one sex or the other. For example, in women 84 percent of gray matter regions and 86 percent of white matter regions involved in intellectual performance were located in the frontal lobes, whereas the percentages of these regions in a man's frontal lobes are 45 percent and zero, respectively. This matches up well with clinical data that shows frontal lobe damage in women to be much more destructive than the same type of damage in men.

Please note I'm not trying to be judgmental. It could be that these differences are related to how our culture treats woman and men differently. But evenso, at young ages there ARE difffernces. In one study, the dropped money and kids of both genders would grab it. They saw that the boys were able to grab the money better but the girls grabbed more randomly (less effectively).

In one study, it's shown that young males take more risks for the sensation, as opposed to females who don't seem to have the need for high risk sensations as much.

I've also seen a study that suggest females can detect finer facial expressions.

All in all, we have to be careful with "studies". They're not the real world. They're mostly strictly controlled and while they're made to reflect something in reality, they're NOT reality. We run the risk of assuming too much in our "studies" and then making a huge evolutionary mistakes.
edit on 11-8-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
India had a woman Prime Minister about 50 years ago. Before the UK had even had a

female Prime Minister so It makes one wonder why women are still so subjugated. At

present there are very few females in the Indian Government.

India is a vast continent with many different 'states' and no (as I think we would term it)

'middle class' just the very rich and the poor and very poor

There are some very good schools in India and the girls get equal education but

that is only for the rich.

If you drive round rural India you will see women helping with 'road building' and 'pipe

laying' apparently the government gives the supplies (pipes etc.) and the villagers have

to put them down themselves.

India is a vast contradiction ... you can come out of the grounds of a 5* Hotel to be

greeted by a woman begging with a dead baby in her arms, or you can leave in a taxi

and be followed by a limbless beggar on a skateboard who will bang on the taxi at

traffic lights in the chance of getting some coppers. The government have been trying to

get rid of begging for some time as many get maimed as babies, to make a living begging!

Children as young as 12 yrs will perform acrobatics on corners or at railway stations

and make collections, with which to help support their families, So I recon that it will

be some time before women will get to have any rights on that continent

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
The threat is so retarded.

This is what the thread is...

1) Take bad news from a country you never been to
2) Start a thread, apply thing those bad news as the behavior of entire country, in this case 1 billion lol
3) Enforce feminism(yeah cause last thing we want is mess up the traditional families there too right? just because you are pissed some men "tease" women.

Oh so to clear up so retarded stereotypic mindset some posters had.

1) Hinduism/Buddhism do not have Caste system, that came from various cultures immigrated to India.

2) Educated families do not follow caste system anymore(at least 90% do not), education or value of the family is regarded as top, So whats the point of caste if you are better then someone above you in caste?

3) The caste system is dominant in back corner villages, and India has many of them, this is where crap like forced marriage (not to be mistaken with arranged marriage, like many ignorant people do), and belittle women as a different value or prefer male babies over females(due to hardships in village lifestyle).

4) Also acting like men in other world do not use "sexist terms" to describe a women walking by. Please get off the flipping pedestal, it happens in all countries, just pointing at one does not make others disappear. When was the last time young students stop saying "i wanna &&*%*&^ the brains out of her" when a young female students walks by? Never, it still happens.

edit on 8/11/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I may be just adding a complication here, please feel free to ignore it.

My understanding is that India has the third largest Muslim population in the world, and is a little over 14% Muslim and growing.

How will the growth of Islam affect women's rights in India?

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

It does heavily affect it, Hinduism(rather the old pre invasion version) look at females as equals to males, even one of the main god was a female.

Mariamman(Shivas Partner):

Mariamman is an ancient goddess, whose worship probably originated from pre-Vedic mother goddess cult of Dravidian people before the arrival of the Aryans with their Brahmanic religion.This is well attested by the unemployment of Brahmins in officiating

This honour killings is not done by Hindus, but however, upon 100s of years of melting cultures, you will have generation of hindu/muslim couples, some will adopt certain religion over another, good and bad things.

For example, a Muslim in India is less extreme than a Muslim from hardcore middle east.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

Lmao, ok. I did live in India for 5 yrs, and still has friends who are Indian, since im in the age where my friends are usually getting married i know the whole system as well.

I rather see what my friends and my eyes told me over some biased articles.

That article is outdated as hell, and did you even read what i wrote? i didn't say caste system disappeared, it still exists in parts of india..and current Hinduism is a mix of bunch of religion and cultures

Don't forget its a 1 billion population.

your one word reply with a retarded article disgustes me.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Although there are Muslims in India ... the partition of India in 1947 was when Pakistan

came into being the Muslims were given Pakistan and the Hindus stayed in

India

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

There is still 15% muslims in India(with their own cultures and religion), and this is not recent, they have been living for 1000 of yrs, border is not a physcial wall that divides countries, people mix and mingle.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

They weren't mixing and mingling in 1946 they were at each others throats rioting

and fighting. There was carnage in the villages and streets.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by demongoat
if ghandi had listened to this crap india would be under british rule still.
the best time to start is when people figure out how bloody stupid and ignorant current convention is.
the treatment of women is appalling and something needs to be done!

you have to start change at some point and the sick stuff from india needs change to start.
i read recently that in india they still do arranged marriages and if the in-laws don't like their daughter-in-law but get a large dowry from the marriage, they will attempt to make the daughter-in-law commit suicide!

how sick is that? it's not even a crime there to do something like that.

how did ghandi act against indian cultural views with what he did? he was resisting foreign occupation.

i'm not saying women should accept how they are treated in india, i'm saying they need to start any such feminist movements in small bits at a time, in the right places if you force things and run on emotions it will only backfire and lead to violence in response.
western views demand things in haste all too often, it's one reason the west has been all over the place the last 2,000 years and why it's so fragmented, india as a nation with established culture has existed longer than any western nation ever has, not only that but it's also older than the west as a whole, there's so much we don't understand about india and so much of a contrast between us that interfering or expecting western styled changes is foolish and would only harm india and their people. change only comes to those who demand and act for it, we need to mind our own business even if terrible things go on.
this attitude of westerners where we expect everyone to behave like us and demand it of them when it isn't the case will be our downfall one day, when we are weak the rest of the world will destroy us and we are too foolish to understand why they hate us, we are too naive and young to grasp the fact that we are being tolerated and that they are merely playing along for the moment, we are still children who don't understand that we are children in their eyes.
we think our ways will save everyone and create peace and harmony for all but in the end it will cause destruction and chaos for us in the west.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by namehere

Indian culture isn't any older than Western culture, in fact all evidence points to Indian culture being younger. Where us the oldest evidence of ancient civilizations found? In the west. In western cultures, there was Goddess worship, and the position of women was always treated far more equal.

I can only wonder if this treatment of women is across the cultural spectrum of India, or only in certain areas.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by NiNjABackflip

When I went to India, I saw this attitude first-hand. Even my girlfriend was treated as a lesser human being and even sometimes groped. But even then, much of the time she was treated as an equal, was praised, and no sexual overtones were noticed. The difference between these seemingly two types of men was not feminism, but differences in religion and rationality.

Indian culture still has a caste system, and is somewhat behind western cultures when it comes humanist ethics. But simple awareness and the influence of other cultures through information is slowly changing that.

That being said, I don't think feminism is the answer when it comes to the glaringly obvious way many Indian men treat women, as feminism, with its wide brush, alienates the men there who are concerned about and sometimes fight over the way women are treated. So I would argue that the cultivating of rationality makes more sense, something feminism often fails to do.

I've been called scum by feminists simply because of my gender. I've been told that since I'm a man, I am inherently dangerous. I was simply a man walking down a street passing a feminist protest. Though I wasn't sexually objectified in any way, I was, as are women in india, prejudged based on my gender. So I don't see feminism as a viable way to spread awareness.

So I would argue that the cultivating of rationality makes more sense, something feminism often fails to do.

What?

Protesting for change to improve women's lives is the heart of feminism and it does cultivate rationality and also serves to inform and educate people.

edit on 11-8-2013 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Gotta love all the feminist propaganda, lack of research, and appeals to conditioned female-specific sentimentality going on in this thread. But why would you expect anything less.

Let's start with the 2011 prevalence statistics of crime in India provided by the National Crime Records Bureau. They are THE authority on crime throughout the country.
So what is the reality of crime in India? Are these poor women being utterly disrespected, given acid showers, and beaten with impunity like the OP claims? Let's see...

Table 3-3 on the linked document - Age Group Wise Victims Of Murder

More men are victims of murder in India for ALL age groups

In 2011 25,746 men were murdered compared to 9377 women. 73.3% of all murder victims were men.

How about victims of Culpable Homicide, like female victims who are beaten, gang raped, or women who have been attacked with acid? These are those who sustain life-threatening injuries from violent attacks that did not result in murder.

"Culpable homicide" is an offence under s.299 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), defined as "Whoever causes death by doing an act with the intention of causing death, or with the intention of causing such bodily injury as is likely to cause death, or with the knowledge that he is likely by such act to cause death, commits the offence of culpable homicide."

en.wikipedia.org...
Again, according to the NCRB men are much more likely to be victims of C.H not amounting to murder for ALL age groups.
In 2011 3,163 men were victims compared to 726 women. 81.1% of all C.H. victims were men

But let's do even better. Let's look at the statistics for ALL cognizable crimes committed against women compared to total crime of the same sort. Cognizable crimes against women include, but are not limited to: rape, kidnapping & abduction, dowry deaths, and cruelty by husbands and relatives.

One would think with all the women on this thread pontificating about installing feminism in India, the country would definitely have some huge gender-based violence problems. These women couldn't just be making stuff up based on YouTube videos and their lack of familiarity with anything having to do with Indian culture could they?

Well let's see.

Table 5.2 states that, of the total amount of cognizable crimes in 2011 21% were perpetrated against women.

So who really has more of a problem here in term of being victimized, women or men?

A feminist will always say women because in her mind somehow the suffering of men doesn't matter. In their minds all men are guilty by default just for being men.

Their natural retort to this will be, "But boo hoo women don't report even a fraction of gender-based violence. The numbers for women are severely unreported!" Don't think so. I don't fall for crap like that, know why? Because the numbers for EVERYONE are unreported, including men. There is no way to document every single act of violence that happens. For every woman missed there is at the very least 1 man.

So please, ladies, keep spouting your mendacious feminist BS.

-Deny Ignorance
edit on 11-8-2013 by djr33222 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Well yes, India and other nations need a good dose of feminism. Same goes for the middle east.

I think all the feminists groups of the west should go over there and help fight for women who need it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join