It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India Needs A Huge Injection Of Feminism - And It Will Happen.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
On youtube last night i came across the this BBC documentary titled "India - A Dangerous Place To Be A Woman"

It seems the more i learn about Indian culture the more i am shocked by their utter disrespect for the female gender. In this documentary they highlight how women walking through busy market area's by themselves may be subject to "Eve Teasing" - This can be men blurting out sexual remarks or even going as far as to "bump" into you, with the intention of copping a feel.

India also suffers from the cruel phenomenon of "acid attacks" In the video, a girl of 14 at the time was (In her own right) ignoring a boy in her class who was trying to get her attention, after he finally realised she didnt want to speak to him, he and his friends got together and threw acid on her. Now she breathes through two straws and cannot eat properly, her parents are devastated.

Marriage can be just as cruel. It is not uncommon for middle-class and rich families to pressure their daughter-in-law's to get an abortion because they found out the sex of the baby was a girl. Female babies are also dumped, on the street, to die or be saved by some caring soul, because they are worthless. The video tells the story of one woman who was having twin girls, refused an abortion and then got completely rejected by her in-laws. They refused to speak to her, locked her in a room, almost starved her to death before her husband finally pushed her down some stairs after and argument - She miscarried and apparently, he was glad about it.
When a woman get's married in India, she is expected to give up her hopes and dreams in order to serve her husband and his family. That mean's practically, being a house slave to your in-laws - while providing them with a son. The bride's family are expected to pay a dowry to the grooms family in order to "shift" her from the family. Apparently it is not uncommon for the groom's family to ask for more. There are stories of them beating the bride after she has been married and sending her home so that she will manipulate her family into giving more to the grooms family as "Divorce is shameful"

The birth of baby girls are not celebrated. The birth of boys are. Boys are pushed academically, girl's are taught only what they need to know (Basic writing, reading, arithmetic)

Im sure many of you are familiar with the story of a medical student who got on a private bus with the male companion and was subsequently beaten and raped, later dying from her injuries. This caused a major upset in India and rightly so. But the video also highlights another incident in which a girl standing a busy street at half past 9 at night waiting for a taxi is grabbed by a group of men who begin to start unclothing her. The police eventually turn up and only after the story made headline news were they arrested. Its very disgusting.

So, Why do men do this?
I want to make it very clear that it isn't ALL men in India, that would be a fallacy. But it seems relatively common phenomenon that the police are used to brushing aside. It would seem from day one that boy's are taught they are worth more than girls purely because of their gender. The society around them reflects such an attitude. Women are expected to sacrifice their lives in order to serve men, men are expected to take advantage of these circumstances. Their ego's are hurt when women "reject" them and because some of them aren't taught any higher thinking, they do horrendous things such as throwing acid on them in order to basically ruin their lives.

Patriarchal societies breed an imbalance of power. I predict that Indian women will band together and inject feminism into their society and it will save their entire culture. As it stands right now, many families cannot afford to pay a dowry for their daughter's marriage, this is why female babies are being killed!
Secondly, when they eventually start to celebrate their daughter's and place worth on their lives, boys might start understanding that the world does not revolve around them. This in turn should breed some respect into them regarding their sisters and mothers.
as women of all backgrounds begin to achieve success academically and within working environments, again society will take a step forward in recognising the female sex as something more than baby factories and human exchange currency.

Its these kinds of stories that prove how feminism was a positive step forward for women in the west. I feel very sorry for women in the east and i have every hope that they will soon rise up and gain the respect and equal footing in society they rightly deserve.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Dear me, Sunday night and what do I get another crazy story about feminists. Unlike the last thread on feminists please start off clearly with definitions

1. what is a feminist
2. what is a new age feminist
3. Is the Op 1 or 2?

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
Dear me, Sunday night and what do I get another crazy story about feminists. Unlike the last thread on feminists please start off clearly with definitions

1. what is a feminist
2. what is a new age feminist
3. Is the Op 1 or 2?

I love how you've not even bothered to watch the video or read what ive wrote.

Deny ignorance.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Deny ignorance.

I feel after the last thread on feminism I know all there is too know. Feminists are gender extremists whose goal is to siege power over men.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
interesting video. Equality change from within can only come from those women in that cultural situation.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   
It will happen, but I imagine these things take time. I've never been to India, but find it odd why such treatment of women is acceptable in a society. Maybe it is a reaction from insecure men, who feel their social standing is being threatened by educated women who can compete just as well in the workforce.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

Deny ignorance.

I feel after the last thread on feminism I know all there is too know. Feminists are gender extremists whose goal is to siege power over men.

so you treat every thread the same then? Why even bother clicking into the threads at all if you know what you're going to get?

/Deny Ignorance.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
interesting video. Equality change from within can only come from those women in that cultural situation.

Indeed, i got the impression that things are definitely heading towards change over there and i suppose that positively correlates with their economic out-put. They are a developing country with a high birth rate. If demographics replicate the west, birth rates will begin to drop as their country develops further, this will call for social change which can only really benefit women who will have more of a role to play.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Centuries of culture, not just in India but in many other countries as well..not saying that it's right, but that's the way it is and is it really any of our business, or do you suggest that we go and force them to change their ways, much like the way we got rid of "all them evil dictators" in the middle east?

When they bring it to my country, I obviously have an issue with it, but apparently I'm not allowed to voice my opinion then, because that makes me a racist.

And perhaps we should be addressing issues that still exist in our own countries before sticking our noses into other people's business for example the gender pay divide that still exists in most western countries, is totally shocking.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by destination now
Centuries of culture, not just in India but in many other countries as well..not saying that it's right, but that's the way it is and is it really any of our business, or do you suggest that we go and force them to change their ways, much like the way we got rid of "all them evil dictators" in the middle east?

I havent suggested anything of the sort, nor would i. I was simply highlighting the culture of India and how at some point soon, the women there are going to have their own waves of feminism so that they can stop the madness being inflicted upon the female sex.

When they bring it to my country, I obviously have an issue with it, but apparently I'm not allowed to voice my opinion then, because that makes me a racist.

Bring what?

And perhaps we should be addressing issues that still exist in our own countries before sticking our noses into other people's business for example the gender pay divide that still exists in most western countries, is totally shocking.

Im not aware of any gender divide in Britain, enlighten me.

I made this thread to show women are repressed in other parts of the world and that the result of that oppression will ultimately be social movements, such as feminism.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The men in India get to hear about the sort of things western women get up to since they were given back their freedom. That probably wont help the situation.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

I havent suggested anything of the sort, nor would i. I was simply highlighting the culture of India and how at some point soon, the women there are going to have their own waves of feminism so that they can stop the madness being inflicted upon the female sex.

Bring what?

Im not aware of any gender divide in Britain, enlighten me.

I made this thread to show women are repressed in other parts of the world and that the result of that oppression will ultimately be social movements, such as feminism.

Bring what you ask! Oppression of women...where certain religions dictate a woman's dress code, marriage etc and where it is strictly adhered to and can be punishable by death to the offender...Have you not heard of the Honour killings in the UK. Here's a link to one...Banaz Mahmod

And you're not aware of any gender divide in Britain...be prepared to learn then..Pay divide UK graduates

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Oh and I forgot to mention the horrifying increase of sexual abuse and sex trafficking of UK teenage girls by mostly immigrant men (usually muslims, but not really allowed to say that on this site, or you'll be called a racist and your posts removed) child sex trafficking

But it's the truth and it's all down to cultural differences and if you don't know or believe that it is happening, then perhaps you should start to deny the same ignorance you accuse others of.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Oh and I forgot to mention the horrifying increase of sexual abuse and sex trafficking of UK teenage girls by mostly immigrant men (usually muslims, but not really allowed to say that on this site, or you'll be called a racist and your posts removed) child sex trafficking

But it's the truth and it's all down to cultural differences and if you don't know or believe that it is happening, then perhaps you should start to deny the same ignorance you accuse others of.

See, what makes the idea oppression interesting is that:
1. The oppression isnt religious based.
2. This isnt muslims being the problem.

Its cultural values that are creating the terrible reality of life.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Err..but religion and culture are intertwined..can't you see that
:

The end result is exactly the same..can't you see that

What does it matter why it manifests, the fact is that it does

Or is it okay to persecute women for religious reasons as far as you are concerned?

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Also don't forget the still prevalent caste system in India, a system that determines someone's place in life, before birth, male or female..that's not going to change anytime soon, I don't agree with it, much as I don't agree with any system that catergorises a person purely by accident of birth, whether you're prince George Louis Cambridge of Kensington Palace or Tyler McKenzie Smith from the Deadend Council estate.

Life should be what we want to make it, but sadly we've got a lot of evolving to do yet, and I don't think that the feminist movement alone can achieve that and I also think that when a country needs to get its own house in order it's not in a position to preach to others.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Err..but religion and culture are intertwined..can't you see that
:

Hate to break it to you, but they're not. Definition of Cultre

The end result is exactly the same..can't you see that

I agree that Cultural values can be effected by current dominating religious values, but Indian is a country that has Hindu and Buddhism at its core religious beliefs. As far as im aware, none of them have ever been considered harmful to women. Im not saying there's no sexism within those religious sects.

What does it matter why it manifests, the fact is that it does

What does it matter!? Because if people weren't aware WHAT was causing it, they wouldn't know how to go about FIXING it.

Or is it okay to persecute women for religious reasons as far as you are concerned?

Yes, of course i would think on those terms - That's why i bothered to make a thread coming to the defence of feminism and women in India. Why on earth would i advocate its okay to persecute women for religious reasons and not cultural!?

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Also don't forget the still prevalent caste system in India, a system that determines someone's place in life, before birth, male or female..that's not going to change anytime soon, I don't agree with it, much as I don't agree with any system that catergorises a person purely by accident of birth, whether you're prince George Louis Cambridge of Kensington Palace or Tyler McKenzie Smith from the Deadend Council estate.

Life should be what we want to make it, but sadly we've got a lot of evolving to do yet, and I don't think that the feminist movement alone can achieve that and I also think that when a country needs to get its own house in order it's not in a position to preach to others.

Well, feminism wont be the only social movement that pop's up, bet your bottom dollar on it! Perhaps the class system will naturally disintegrate as the country economically develops a larger middle-class? Perhaps it may even become more liberal? But i agree, that will have to change and i believe it will be sooner rather than later.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The women of India have a lot of work to do in their protests that serve to educate and change the laws, but the younger generations of men of India have a surmountable mountain of cultural programming to overcome in comparison.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join