It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Trayvon 'could have been me'

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Holy cow.

I am going to type this...and I can't believe I have to...and then I'm done with this circle jerk...He looks in the mirror and self-identifies as Black.

And he's not wrong now is he? Because that's the first, if not only, thing many on here see too.

You all go right ahead and keep dancing wildly around the bonfire.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I'll keep dancing around the bonfire so long as you keep denying the double-standards going on.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

Riiight, because he can't possibly relate to being a young black man.

He most likely didn't become black until Chicago when it was convenient to do so...

I'm sure his youth years mirrored Martin's......

edit on 19-7-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

reply to post by neo96

Holy cow.

I am going to type this...and I can't believe I have to...and then I'm done with this circle jerk...He looks in the mirror and self-identifies as Black.

And he's not wrong now is he? Because that's the first, if not only, thing many on here see too.

You all go right ahead and keep dancing wildly around the bonfire.

Well when i look in the mirror I self identify as an American first BEFORE anything else, especially as the elected leader of THE UNITED STATES.

Anyone putting race above this country Is WRONG.
edit on 19-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jaellma
reply to post by Xtrozero

Maybe if the prosecution had spent more time cross examining Zimmerman instead of the other way around, we would have gotten closer to the "facts". The only person alive who knew what really happened was Zimmerman.

And what we heard on the phone and what an eye witness said that he saw...oh yes and Zimmerman.

What I'm hearing here is that Zimmerman might have antagonized Martin to get him to attack just so he could shoot him. It is one or the other and I don't see this at all, do you?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Oh well, I guess some people think that our presidents and other elected officials have the right to inject one-sided double-standards into matters already resolved in court by judge and jury. Some people refuse to see this cause they are so racist they won't ever see it. You can only lead the horse to the water... We are Sooooo doomed.
(that's not a joyful laugh, it's a laugh of dis-belief)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
profiling is a form of stereotyping. happens all the time.
for example, in my younger years, i was very blonde and rather well endowed. this resulted in some people talking to my boobs and assuming the other parts the boobs were attached to, had no value as interesting as the blobs of fat and lymph nodes hanging from my chest wall. i could've been intelligently talking about rocket science, and i would've still been considered a dumb blonde because people would project the lack of blood going to their own brains (redirected!), on me. this is stereotyping. it is based on tendency to reality, as the person suffering the effects of boob staring, feel temporarily stupefied, as if the twin mounts were a pair of snake charmers. then this is projected on to the person attached to the boobs.

profiling happens to everyone. it's a human proclivity, related to human reactions and general human psychology.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

I profile ATS members as being more aware (for the most part) than the rest of society.

Guess I'm guilty.

(assuming the position now
)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

Oh well, I guess some people think that our presidents and other elected officials have the right to inject one-sided double-standards into matters already resolved in court by judge and jury. Some people refuse to see this cause they are so racist they won't ever see it. You can only lead the horse to the water... We are Sooooo doomed.
(that's not a joyful laugh, it's a laugh of dis-belief)

There is no denying that many blacks walk into a court half convicted because of how they look. As I said before their color is one piece of the pie, but it is a piece none the less in profiling.

But Martin was NOT on trial and I don't think any of us are convinced that the jury IN THIS CASE did the "not guilty" based on Martin's skin. We have a lot more insight into the jury's minds and there just isn't anything and never was anything that went that direction. If anything, Martin's age played a big roll in this whole thing against Zimmerman. If Martin was a year older it never would have went to trial. The jury cried together from the emotions it brought on them being mothers and identifying with Martin, so come on.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

I think you're right and I think just based on crime statistics alone blacks are profiled. I don't think anyone right now in our society could really argue that.

You are also right that in this case the jury did not choose the verdict based on race or even emotion. Just the fact that they were all women and the jury was not hung, should say something. But nope, the general public doesn't want facts. They don't care about evidence, because speculation and assumptions mean more to our general public. They want to continue to feed off the titty of the media who very clearly want a race war.
edit on 19-7-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Oh look the "progressive thinkers" of this site all huddled around racism again. I wish racism would go away for two reasons now. The betterment of society and the betterment of this board.

Obama is an awful president BUT what he said was true... but obviously the majority of you just want everyone to turn a blind eye to racism and racial profiling because it "stirs the pot." Cool deal, guys.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePawnsTheory
Obama is an awful president BUT what he said was true... but obviously the majority of you just want everyone to turn a blind eye to racism and racial profiling because it "stirs the pot." Cool deal, guys.

Who is turning a blind eye? Do you feel the 6 women determined Zimmerman was not guilty based on Martin's skin color?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Love it, my respect for Obama has gone up. I commend him for coming out and saying this. There are people frothing at the mouth over what he said, which doesn't make a difference as these were very same people frothing over him for many other things.

Well done Mr President.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

I don't think anyone can say for sure, honestly. They're definitely not going to come out and say it. I just know a lot of people have race and gender roles implanted into their brains from a young age and it's hard to fight against that.

...and the "blind eye" comment was about people saying Obama shouldn't say anything about it. It's one of the most reasonable things he's said since he was elected. Someone needs to let people know that racism is still a rather big deal. It's easy to overlook it if you don't have to deal with it and a lot of people are ignorantly racist, as in they don't mean to be but it's just there in them.
edit on 7/19/2013 by ThePawnsTheory because: typo

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
reply to post by neo96

Love it, my respect for Obama has gone up. I commend him for coming out and saying this. There are people frothing at the mouth over what he said, which doesn't make a difference as these were very same people frothing over him for many other things.

Well done Mr President.

And my respect for Obama has gone down
:

As always opinions will vary unlike others that is why I put I report you decide at the bottom.

As people are free to make up their own minds.
edit on 20-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I agree with you - I just want to add that looking at anyone's history (black, hispanic, white, or otherwise) and their education, work record, criminal history - is taken, and should be taken, into account when you look at their reliability for belief in a courtroom situation.

I was surprised with the verdict, but I would imagine that these women also want to confirm their ability to protect themselves and their family with a "castle doctrine" type law, and limit the ability of the gun-grabbers hastening their agenda to curtail the 2nd amendment = especially in the state of Florida where so many illegal immigrants and drug gangs tend to hang out.

link   

reply to post by beezzer

Riiight, because he can't possibly relate to being a young black man.

He isn't full-on black, he's mixed.

He grew up with prestige and comfort, unlike Martin.

Also... Trayvon had a reputation for law breaking and smoking pot.

Barack Obama is the president of the United States.

Big gap.

And also...

He brought the NDAA back into action (even though it was ruled unconstitutional) while everyone was choked up about Martin and Zimmerman.

Just saying.

He's not innocent.

edit on 19-7-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

i would say well done as well if it weren't for the fact that everyone is profiled, not just black people. teens of all races are profiled. white middle aged people in poor attire, are profiled. my mother in law was profiled, and she was a typical middle aged white woman. at the time she was in a fine department store wearing her work clothes lol she owned a business and had been working one of the job positions because one of her employees didn't show up. the security guy followed her around the store, then arrested her and took her to a back room for questioning, while calling the police to come to the scene. he was sure he would find stolen articles in her purse. but nope. she was just dressed in an uncharacteristic fashion for the area (a fine department store).

security and police assume (profile/stereotype) people in poor attire as the equivalent of thieves, and this is because poor people have been known to stoop to theft in order to survive the thieves who steal from everyone legally.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
reply to post by neo96

Well done Mr President.

You're trolling, right? I dearly hope so.

He's throwing gas on the fire instead of water.

He's hyping the racial division by means of emotional blackmail.

Why?

To distract everyone from this, along with other countless laws he continues to break.

You respect him for that?

edit on 19-7-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePawnsTheory

I don't think anyone can say for sure, honestly. They're definitely not going to come out and say it. I just know a lot of people have race and gender roles implanted into their brains from a young age and it's hard to fight against that.

How about "that dirty Mexican killed that young boy"..... I would see this type of stereotyping with the 6 female jurors long before the other way around....they were emotionally drained and even cried together at the end since Martin was so young.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join