It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Trayvon 'could have been me'

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

That should be the main point here - where is it socially acceptable to go hit someone, without knowing who, or why, they are there.

No one I know would just go up to someone and hit them.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

Poor analogy. I think anyone walking around by themselves in Southside Chicago at 2:30 am is asking for trouble.

I think anyone walking where Trayvon was at the time he was doing it should have had absolutely no trouble getting to where they wanted to go.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I guess Obama is saying that he could have been a thug who decided to beat the crap outta someone and proceed to smash their head against a curb because someone asked him a question.

edit on 19-7-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I think a big problem with profiling is education. I think the perpetrators doing the profiling need to be better educated and equipped to handle the situation. Unless that happens, expect it to continue.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

Originally posted by seabag I may have experienced hell on earth….you don’t know!

And you don't know what African-Americans have experienced. Why can't you just listen and accept their account in this regard?

They are concerned about profiling. Profiling is a real thing.

I ask you, in all seriousness...what would you have African-Americans tell their children post Zimmerman verdict? They are saying they don't know what to tell their children. Should they run from a stranger who confronts them? Should they stay put for fear of escalating something inadvertently?

Can't run, shouldn't stay. Either way they may well end up dead.

Think of your own children. Try to understand if they faced this scenario. Realistically, what would you say to them?

If you can honestly imagine what that might be like, then you can let go of all of the other extraneous BS associated with the verdict and just look at the implications for Black youth.

I would expect their parents do what people are being told right now?

Call 9-11.

And kids are being taught right now as this moment that the rule of law doesn't matter even though once again it has been clearly established that race was not a part of anything.
edit on 19-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jaellma
reply to post by Granite

And how is this relevant? There are also kids graduating with A averages in very poor neighborhoods who also fear for their lives. Just because there are bad elements in society that deserve some level of profiling it doesn't give the authorities the right to persecute everyone who fits their profiling bill. That's not how it works.

If a flash mob punches your boss in the face while vacationing in Hollywood, then is it relevant to you?
You should join Intrepid in the sand pit...perhaps?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I think anyone walking where Trayvon was at the time he was doing it should have had absolutely no trouble getting to where they wanted to go.

But we still have the situation where Martin decided to backtrack away from the house he was staying at. He went back to Zimmerman, and as far as we know, Zimmerman didn't pull his gun until well into the beating.

Many people are trying to suggest that if a person is being followed by a physically inferior person at a distance then it is somehow a threat, and a person's instinct in this situation is not to go into the house, but to go confront the person and beat them.

Do you think Zimmerman's actions of following from a distance is justification for someone physically stronger than him to sit on his chest and pound his face.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Granite

Small element of society, my friend. Not a good analogy.

Again, my solution to all this mess, is education and tolerance.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Isn't Obama guilty of profiling based on what he considered as similarities between himself and Martin?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Maybe if the prosecution had spent more time cross examining Zimmerman instead of the other way around, we would have gotten closer to the "facts". The only person alive who knew what really happened was Zimmerman.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I will revisit this thread tomorrow. Off to bed.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Way to waste a perfect opportunity to throw water on the fire Obama. Jerk.

link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Isn't Obama guilty of profiling based on what he considered as similarities between himself and Martin?

Yep just like all Anglo Americans,

Just like all police officers.

Just like all Judges

Just like all Lawmakers

Who are made up of African Americans too.

But,but,but profiling is 'wrong'.

link   
reply to post by beezzer

Riiight, because he can't possibly relate to being a young black man.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

But no, the case was the right thing at the right time to exploit because is other agendas behind, too many scandals under Obama administration too much trash and corruption.

So what better thing to do that exploit the Zimmerman case and try to light the fired behind the racial card.

Unbelievable.

Trash and corruption. The distilled essence of Obama.

Just like Bush Jr.. Just like Clinton. It's amazing just how far a nation can fall.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

See this post?

And his growing up in Hawaii, and Indonesia.

Don't see how he can 'relate'.

link   

I think a big problem with profiling is education. I think the perpetrators doing the profiling need to be better educated and equipped to handle the situation. Unless that happens, expect it to continue.

Everyone profiles...you even profiled the people who live in Southside Chicago, and that is ok. It is a defensive mechanism. The 80 year old black grandmother who just cashed her SS check holds her purse just a little tighter as she pass youths she don't know.

I posted before that I profile white street kids in Portland, but I also profile skinheads, and people who dress/act like gang members...so on and so on. I also profile monks in orange robes, and Mormons so on and so on...

AND SO DO YOU!!!

edit on 19-7-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Riiiight because he's not half white.
And I guess you think if a white (looking) president came out and decided to comment on a case like this and related to the "white kid", it would be ok eh? uh huh. Double-standard much?
edit on 19-7-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

So is THAT all it takes? Just a phenotype?

We can't factor in; education, upbringing, social influences, religion, parenting, hobbies, media influences, music influences, entertainment influences?

Seems pretty darned one-dimensional to me.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
i think the problem is that it isn't really a commentary on relations between blacks and whites, but between humans and humans, as it is a human proclivity to want the few to be like the many. for example, if you go into a room filled with women and want to talk about something that isn't typically high on the list of women's issues, like sears craftsmen tools and how they compare to tools from other companies, not many are going to show an interest in your subject. it's a stereotype, no doubt about it, but it tends to reality.

it's the same everywhere. people are constantly stereotyping their own experience at the expense of others who they also seek to stereotype.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join