It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End of Consumerism?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by KyrieEleison

LOL!
No, don't be 'sorry'. I wasn't able to help my daughter with 'math' after her sophomore year at High School -
it all became calculus (which was the point, when I was in high school, at which I realized, "Yeah, I ....erm....don't get this.")

Mr. Wildtimes is an IT guy who understands cisco, networks, coding, QA, yadayada....
he's a GENIUS at it!!! But so many people he works with are unable to see the dots, let alone connect them.
He knows more than MOST of his bosses.....
and I'm not just 'bragging'. He really does, and at least at this job they VALUE him!!!!

Thanks for all you do!!!

I remember sitting in the basement watching Daddy put 'Heath-kits' together. We had a TV, ham radio, stereo, etc.....
all Heath-kits.
I wonder, do you know what those are???
I bet you do.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BubbaJoe

Good for you, bubbajoe.
Yeah, I quit my 'corporate' job when my dad was failing, and my mom needed a respite from 24/7 care. When I asked for the time off, I was told, "no." (It was over New Years, and "everybody works on New Year's". No matter what.)
Mr. Wild made sure I resigned after that.

And I got to spend a week with my dad. Just us.

Two years later, he died.
I miss him, but I wouldn't trade those days/nights of being able to spend time with him one-on-one for ANYTHING!!

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Yep!

They are still floating around at ham fests and stuff, even after all this time, the design that went into many of them is superb.

When I was little, my grandfather (also an engineer) introduced me to those kits from Radio Shack that had the little spring terminals connected to the actual components on the underside of the panel.

I would spend hours experimenting with those circuits, and the ones that made noise would drive my parents crazy.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

you cant have my compressor, i am very poor, and i had to save lots of money, for a long time to finally get it so i could start airbrushing....

but the idea is good, and it wont happen,,
i often wonder about a world without money, how much would change,,,
what would be still produced, and what would be left behind...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by Bluesma

but the Baby Boomers are known for their tendancy to make a big deal out of whatever they are currently doing, and loudly proclaiming it as a "new" or revolutionary morally superior act.

?????
Erm, Bluesma?
What are you talking about?
We aren't 'currently doing this' any more than we already were, before the yuppies of today were even here.
I'm wondering why CNN is publishing this as a "big new idea" -
but I think it's because the 'kids' don't want to realize it's not a new idea.

Fine. If they want to think they invented it (like EVERY generation wants to do), let them.

I'm feeling a bit 'disenfranchised' and 'dis-ed' in general.
I thought you and I were peers?!!

Oh well! Go have a ride and think of me! I envy your life!!!

Articles are always popping up which are written by Boomers, and paint their current popular activities as something "new", revolutionary, are somehow special. Like an article I once saw about the new Boomer type of emotional therapy- talking to friends! "Studies show Boomer generation people very often contact and spend time with friends when feeling down!" The new thing.

Of course, lending ones lawnmower or blender to neighbors was a practice almost considered obligatory in the fifties- funny their children thought they came up with that.
Back to the days when America was being invaded by europeans, they were exchanging goods and services amongst themselves- being a settler on these prairies meant relying on each others help!

The Boomers did not invent this sort of exchange of goods an services between people, but it is expected that they will claim they did.
What is "new" perhaps, with current trends, is the use of technology in expanding the exchange to strangers- where we used to limit it to friends, family and members of our own community, now people are contacting a total stranger in an unknown city to bunk on their couch for the night, or borrow their car.

It is the mode of communication facilitating the expanded sense of community that could be called a "new" trend.

But no, I am a X Gen, with my own grudges and sourness at my parents generation, which probably can be heard in my attempts at being light and humorous- I shouldn't have tried. Sorry if I offended, I didn't intend to.
My own parents wear me down with their endless stream of boasting, and simultaneously claiming their offspring were worthless deadweight in their life. I'm used to it, and take it silently, but when they start to go off on the next generation and their relative lack of value, I can't help but object.
edit on 6-6-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   

My own parents wear me down with their endless stream of boasting, and simultaneously claiming their offspring were worthless deadweight in their life.

Wow Bluesma...that is just so sad. I'm really sorry your parents are like that.
I don't mean to derail the thread....just couldn't let that pass me by without saying something.
My own parents are both gone now, but for many years we didn't speak, (dysfunctional/toxic relationship)...very painful stuff.
I guess I just wanted to tell you that your ATS family does NOT see you as worthless or deadweight. (Yes, I am speaking for all of us right now, lol). You are a smart, worthy contributor...and...geez...here's a *hug*!!
jacygirl

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

I realize the Boomers did not invent it either - that's what I meant when I mentioned the immigrants (my own ancestors) and the Amish....

Every generation thinks they've come up with a new idea, it's quite common. But 'there is nothing new under the sun' - I think the reason our species is SO SLOW to advance is because of that competitiveness, and the normal human development of thinking that "parents are dumb" as a kid, then as an adult not listening to their often very sound advice.

(Not talking about you and your parents, sorry you have a hard time with their behavior, though.)

Ironically, parents usually WANT and EXPECT their kids to 'improve' the family legacy - or they did when the Europeans immigrants came here to 'better opportunities' than where they left. They settled this country and worked hard to provide their kids a chance.

That, too, is normal.

At this point in my life, my mother is my very best friend. My dad passed 3 years ago in August - and I miss him.
I am close now with my kids, but they live their own lives and I don't whine to them.
Oh well.
Sorry for your frustration. I thought maybe you were being funny, but couldn't tell.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

I have to admit Bluesma, as a Gen X myself, what you've said in your post is almost exactly the same kind of thing I've had to deal with also, which I guess explains why I no longer speak with them or even think about them really because they are so toxic.

George Carlin did a really spot-on critique of the Boomer generation so I will leave the comedy to him.

It just irks me that many of them went from "free love" to "what have you done for me lately?" and this attitude gets old really, really quick. The boasting about the has-been days of yore is also tiresome, but I don't think this is specific to just the Boomers, I'm pretty sure everyone does it in one form or another as they get older.

Back on topic...

Yes, the idea of sharing and community goes way back, at least to our hunter/gatherer days I imagine - I don't really interpret wildtimes as trying to lay claim to the concept, but the critique is valid in a sense that if that was just "the way it was done" during their formative years, they really should have carried that torch instead of leaving it to the next generation to reinvent it.

Maybe it's a cyclical fad - anyone know when bell bottoms are going to be "in" again so I can take cover indoors?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by KyrieEleison

Maybe it's a cyclical fad - anyone know when bell bottoms are going to be "in" again so I can take cover indoors?

Already happened and gone again - now they do "skinny jeans" -
but at least the Boomer's bell bottoms got worn out from use over years and years - instead of buying them "pre-ripped, pre-stained, pre-weathered, and pre-washed." Cute. And all for only $85 dollars a pair!!

No, we'd buy ONE PAIR, and wear it do death!

Oh, and Chuck Taylors, too. One time a young man in the thrift store noticed I had my pair on (vintage 70s, black hi-tops), and he laughed at me, and said, "Do you know about Chuck Taylors?" and rolled his
at me, thought he was 'dissing me'....
and I laughed back at him, and said, "I've had this pair since I was in high school in the 1970s."
He quit laughing.
I continued shopping - looking the "worn out jeans" in the thrift store - authentically worn out jeans - on offer for only $3 or $4 bucks. I was still laughing to myself about it. Even now it makes me smile.

So, yeah, reuse, recycle, repurpose SEEMS a fad now, but that's how the early settlers got by - and the poor immigrants - they reused fabric to make blankets and quilts, etc. etc.

I suppose it doesn't do any harm for the Millenials and Xers to feel like they 'coined' the ideas - as long as they go along with it and stop raping the planet and exploiting working poor people to turn a "profit" at all costs-- who cares who originally thought it up (or did it out of necessity)?

"Great idea! Now DO IT!"

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Didn't you know, wildtimes? You can't dress trashy 'til you spend a lot of money.

I am of the "do the right thing, then do the thing right" crowd. We are the minority.

It's so funny you mention thrift stores - when I used to go to them with my mother, I was always looking out for things I could purpose or re-purpose ... she was always looking for name-brands like Reebok and Versace (she found a pair of Versace jeans once, told anyone who would listen about it, and it became an obsession to find another as if she was panning for gold.)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
People should help each other any way.
I have lent tools and done odd jobs for neighbours.
it is so Hard to get them to NOT pay me!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join