It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Atheist Monument Across from 10 Commandments

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by Rocker2013

This is about the separation of church and state, not whether one group behaves in the same way as the other.

What's the difference between American Atheists and the Christian church?

I know! One has thousands of years of blood on their hands, and the other recently put up a bench!

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

en.wikipedia.org...

you're not an atheist, you're a wait-n-see-ist.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

What's the difference between these two billboards?

Both offer an opinion. Both advertise their respective organizations. Both are placed on the side of a road. Both are concerned with religion. Both deify an idea to sell. Both are implying that their ideal lifestyle is the best lifestyle. Both are shoved right down everyone's throats.

In the end, like all billboards, their selling something—an ideal—one that they feel is in your best interest to follow. How secular of them.

What you're merely doing is defending your ideal, whatever your label you think signifies you the most—atheism—your deity. Christians, Muslims, Jehovas Witnesses all do the same. Pretty soon you'll be putting up billboards promoting it, writing literature about it, putting up monuments in support of it...oh wait...too late.

I see your billboards, and raise you one more!

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I'm thinking Windword has a point.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

I know! One has thousands of years of blood on their hands, and the other recently put up a bench!

So does the United States fo America. I wonder if you call yourself American?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

But what is the question?

edit on 3/6/2013 by Glass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Honestly, I think it's stupid. It's like an attention seeking fifteen year old girl on a webcam seeking attention. "Look at me! Look at me! I'm important too!".

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

So does the United States fo America. I wonder if you call yourself American?

Hmm.. you got me there, man! Point to you for pointing that out! You know, for pointing out that America has thousands of years of blood on its hands.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

That's actually the opening scene to lots of suicides. True story.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Hmm.. you got me there, man! Point to you for pointing that out! You know, for pointing out that America has thousands of years of blood on its hands.

For those who don't know: America is less than 300 years old. About 240, give or take a few. Although, to be perfectly fair, about 200 of those years have been spent at war with one country or another - for various reasons both economic and moral. So while LesMis has a point, it's not a very good one.
edit on 3-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

For those who don't know: America is less than 300 years old. About 240, give or take a few. Although, to be perfectly fair, about 200 of those years have been spent at war with one country or another - for various reasons both economic and moral. So while LesMis has a point, it's not a very good one.
edit on 3-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

He actually doesn't have a point. He is trying to play gotcha and that kind of thing doesn't work on me. I'm just not that patriotic (at all).

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Really? You don't say!

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

reply to post by AfterInfinity

Do you mean to tell me that logic is just as much an opinion as the phrase "Jesus Saves"?

I'm saying both are billboards. Both disturbe the beauty of the road.

I read that first and thought it to be a simplistic response.
But reading it twice and that's some pretty deep jedi stuff.

So, even if it was unintentional. Well done.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
The behavior of atheists is at best hypocritical, although it is usually worse than that. They sit there and complain about religious dogma, while they themselves are just as dogmatic, thus this is why they are hypocritical. I cannot stand people who always feel the need to crap on other peoples' beliefs. It is just ridiculous. It is not clever, or entertaining, and when you get right down to it, it is nothing more than cruel. No one is forcing them to believe something, so why do these people attempt to force non-belief on these same individuals?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers

en.wikipedia.org...

you're not an atheist, you're a wait-n-see-ist.

I am an agnostic atheist.

Should I meet someone whom qualifies as a deity, I will be a gnostic theist.

I tried (like most others) for a while to be a agnostic theist...it didn't feel very honest.

I find gnostic atheists just as annoying as anyone else.

gnostics in general annoy me..theist or atheist.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
The behavior of atheists is at best hypocritical, although it is usually worse than that. They sit there and complain about religious dogma, while they themselves are just as dogmatic, thus this is why they are hypocritical. I cannot stand people who always feel the need to crap on other peoples' beliefs. It is just ridiculous. It is not clever, or entertaining, and when you get right down to it, it is nothing more than cruel. No one is forcing them to believe something, so why do these people attempt to force non-belief on these same individuals?

because you lot cause too much damage when gone to fanaticism.

One more pic

edit on 3-6-2013 by SaturnFX because: added info

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Glass

The question was....

"Who was just a man and not really the son of any god"??????

and then you have the answer....

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I annoy you? But I've explained my decision. I'm a spiritual Gnostic atheist because I possess the knowledge to support my lack of belief, although I do venerate the poetic nature of the universe.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Let's not resort to this pettiness quite yet. I was implying that we cannot blame today's Christians for yesterdays Christianity.

Maybe christianity started with just a bench. Who knows? After thousands of years I'm sure any institution will have blood on its hands. I guess we'll have to wait 1000 years before we can pass judgement.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

And you're Switzerland right?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join