It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Atheist Monument Across from 10 Commandments

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Atheism is not defined by how others see you. Pagans clearly weren't masters of vocabulary.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

Christianity didn't start with a bench. It started with a murder. A hanged god who will only return when the world is at war. These are the beliefs of Christians. These are the beliefs that the American Atheists do not wish the world to be ruled.

Once again I wasn't being literal. But it's interesting that around that time, Christians were called atheists. Look how they turned out.

Christians didn't self identify as atheists. See the difference? That was about out-grouping, this is about someone trying to force me as an atheist into an ingroup with them.

I am not in an ingroup. My lack of faith doesn't define me, Christian faith defines them. I have no kinship with other atheists. We are not connected by something that doesn't exist in our worlds.
edit on 4-6-2013 by MichaelPMaccabee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Atheism is not defined by how others see you. Pagans clearly weren't masters of vocabulary.

It is a derogatory term (maybe not so much anymore). It was used to label someone impious, godless.

You might want to do a little research into what you call yourself.

edit on 4-6-2013 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Then why call yourself atheist if it means so little to you? Why are you defending it?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
religious people that talk about constitutional rights, do not know what the phrase "freedom of religion" means and they choose to ignore it. our laws and government should have no authority, nor legislation, that derives from any mythical being. all it means is that your particular religious belief has to be tolerated, and not the actions taken on it's behalf. no American should be subject to, or abide by, any rules put forth by mythical beings.
edit on 4-6-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

So you're not connected by the mutual practice of rationality?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

Then why call yourself atheist if it means so little to you? Why are you defending it?

The tattooed numbers on my great grandfathers wrist is why I defend autonomous freedoms. If someone is going to come for the Christians, they will have to get through me first. The same with the Muslims, Homosexuals, Atheists, or anyone else deemed undesirable.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeisterFahrer
Yes, that Hitler. So the point that he was a propagandist recruiter from a largely Lutheran population escaped you didn't it?

nice try though.
edit on 4-6-2013 by GeisterFahrer because: (no reason given)

So let me get this straight. You're going to ignore the fact that Hitler himself said he was a Christian doing the work of God to make your point?
If you aren't going to take this seriously, there's no point in continuing this discussion.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

So you're not connected by the mutual practice of rationality?

Why does being an atheist mean someone needs to be rational? Plenty of superstitious people that reject the idea of God in favor or aliens or a magical world of spirits.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
In the military there was no designation for Atheist in fact the closest designation was “no preference” when it came to religion. My dog tags had that stamped on it even. Many of us were atheists but it wasn’t like we grouped together or identified with each other for that reason. I only know some were atheist there because at one point the Chaplin tried to make it mandatory for us to attend services. (The hell you say I am not religious screw that non sense) was a good many of us said or something to that effect. Long story short we got out of it but we shouldn’t have had to get out of it in the first place.

Anyway…
Not religious = Atheist
Not atheist = religious

I am really beginning to wonder if some people are able to grasp this simple concept. The words religious and atheist are interchangeable with the two word discriptions.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
In the military there was no designation for Atheist in fact the closest designation was “no preference” when it came to religion. My dog tags had that stamped on it even. Many of us were atheists but it wasn’t like we grouped together or identified with each other for that reason. I only know some were atheist there because at one point the Chaplin tried to make it mandatory for us to attend services. (The hell you say I am not religious screw that non sense) was a good many of us said or something to that effect. Long story short we got out of it but we shouldn’t have had to get out of it in the first place.

Anyway…
Not religious = Atheist
Not atheist = religious

I am really beginning to wonder if some people are able to grasp this simple concept. The words religious and atheist are interchangeable with the two word discriptions.

Not technically true. I know many religious jews that haven't believed in God for a long time. Even Mother Theresa began to have serious doubts about the validity of Scripture and there is a good bit of evidence to indicate she was full on agnostic atheist by the end of her life.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeisterFahrer

There was one period in my life that I was a Christian and went to church every Sunday I had bought into the whole shebang however that was a direct result of being misdiagnosed and given medication that literally drove me insane. Once I stopped taking that medication and regained my sanity the ability to believe such things disappeared. As a result I can certainly empathize with those who have faith and are religious and I have no intention of trying to take that away from them. however for myself and this is just me if I ever enter the realm of believing in something like deity’s again without some kind of evidence I will be making an appointment with a psychiatrist. For me faith in deities would be a symptom of a mental disorder.

Please read above carefully. I say this because I realize there may be some who misconstrue what I am saying. Keep in mind I am not saying religion is a mental disorder only I know myself well enough that if my views were to change on the subject I should seek psychiatric help. Every person is different and everyone’s experiences are as well.

maybe the medication was actually making you sane .... just a thought.

Look I know the bible is full of followers who hear voices telling them to be homicidal and all but trust me I was no prophet so when those things are happening to me it is a sign of mental instability.

So to answer you there is zero chance that the medication was taking would have been making me sane it was quite the opposite and the doctors agree but thanks for your insight on the matter anyway I am sure you had good intentions with it.

edit on 4-6-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

You are going to confuse people if you are technical about this subject matter. I am simplifying things purposely here with the hopes that those who seem bewildered on the topic of atheism absorb the information.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

You are going to confuse people if you are technical about this subject matter. I am simplifying things purposely here with the hopes that those who seem bewildered on the topic of atheism absorb the information.

In your simplification, you are being incorrect. Atheism doesn't need to be simplified. It is a simple concept, rejection of belief in one or more deities. Anything else becomes a personal facet of an individual experience.

Some atheists don't believe in God, but do believe that aliens created us. Are these the same athiests that don't believe in God or aliens creating us? What about the Atheists who belief we are spiritual beings that inhabit these bodies and that we are not truly living creatures until a 'soul' has entered the body?

No. These are all people believing in whatever they want to believe in while still rejecting the notion of a central God. This is why Atheism isn't and cannot be a religion. Some atheists already have religion.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

People don't generally stop believing because they decide to be more irrational. It makes sense that we might establish a common ground based on preference for rationality.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

People don't generally stop believing because they decide to be more irrational. It makes sense that we might establish a common ground based on preference for rationality.

This is taking the illogical approach that Atheists stop believing in the first place. Human default is not believing. We must be taught to believe. Some people are simply not taught to believe in any Gods.

It is also assuming that the only belief one can have is a Theistic belief. As I have already pointed out, many people have supernatural beliefs that have nothing to do with Gods.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by pthena
reply to post by windword

What has always struck me about the people who insist upon setting up graven images to the 10 Commandments, is their sheer lack of recognizing the irony.

For engraved upon the graven image are the words:

"Thou shalt not make graven images"

Just a side note the commandment is to not make graven images of things in Heaven or in Hell or upon the Earth to represent God.

The 10 commandments do not fall under the transgretion of this law, as they are words given from God to mankind to be read; however their golden cross around their neck, the image of mary in their car, their statue of St. Peter, their guardian angel pin would ALL be examples of transgressing the 2nd commandment in spirit and in truth.

So I agree with the irony and hypocracy of christians regarding the keeping of the 2nd commandment, but it is not involved in this specific case.

God Bless,

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

You know exactly what I meant. I am NOT playing the semantics game with you.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

First it seems you do not have a firm grasp on what atheism is yourself I do not feel you should be trying to educate people on something you do not understand.

Your flaw in thinking is that atheists have REJECTED something as I explained on the previous page this is not a common attribute to atheism. No rejection required. Do you reject unicorns spaghetti monsters or how about the notion that you are god. I bet those things just do not make sense to you they may even be Ludacris notions in your mind. For myself I tried to become a Christian many times in my life but I just couldn’t get past the inconsistencies gaps or double standards being taught. Obviously many people can and used to envy them in a way at times mainly because I was singled out for not believing as they did. The truth is religion isn’t rational to me. So in summery I am not religious = atheist.

Let me add that before I had even heard of the concept of god I was an atheist no rejection required. Also there is a difference in people believing in aliens and people worshiping aliens or gods.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ElohimJD

I wonder if that was meant to be a subtle reminder that we cannot truly know the nature of such beings. Like we should not limit our understanding to physical representations of such entities or the ideals they represent.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join