It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 Reasons Why Obama’s Popularity Is Likely to Plummet; The politics of hope & the politics of nope

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Some states already have, and others are working on ending their income taxes. Some states also have no sales tax.
The problem is a global one, not a local one. What's your point?

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

You are really shocked at the President's Progressiveness?

I'm shocked at how Right Wing he is and how ignorant other people are not to see it. Though it's funny as hell in the moment, it's tragic in the big picture.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Some states already have, and others are working on ending their income taxes. Some states also have no sales tax.
The problem is a global one, not a local one. What's your point?

No, the problem is a Federal one. We have the highest corporate taxes on the face of the Earth.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

You are really shocked at the President's Progressiveness?

I'm shocked at how Right Wing he is and how ignorant other people are not to see it. Though it's funny as hell in the moment, it's tragic in the big picture.

I didn’t know Totalitarianism was limited to the right-wing.

Two fundamental principles of the right are personal responsibility and individual initiative. Obama certainly couldn't be accused of advocating those principles (not seriously anyway). That alone excludes him from the right. He’d prefer government wipe everyone’s butt…and he wants to be the one selling the toilet paper.

Neither progressives nor conservatives can stand a totalitarian, which is why Obama’s popularity will most certainly fall as the OP suggests.

edit on 24-5-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Yeah? We also have the highest standard of living!! Look at how the 'common people' are faring in those "low corporate tax" countries, dude.

You want to live on $2.50 a day?? You want to go to work in a factory that's going to collapse any day now, on mud tracks filled with ruts, then go home to a tin shack with no running water that you share with 8 other people?

You wouldn't be able to write your congressmen to complain, either, OR ANYONE ELSE....you'd be unable to read or write!

Shameful. "Highest tax rate on the face of the earth." Unbelievably unbalanced thinking.
Wow. Does the term "entrenched thinking" come to mind when you hear yourself?

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Like Canada?

Yes, please enlighten me to the deplorable situation the poor Canadians are living in.

Canada has a 15% corporate tax. The United States is at 39%.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

They also have SOCIALIZED MEDICINE -
I'm talking about off-shoring to sweat-shops and call centers, leaving Americans without work, and then people bitching about Americans who are out of work BECAUSE OF IT.

But you go on ahead and keep defending the sharks and ignoring the plight of those impacted by corporate greed and Wall Street cheaters and big banks taking advantage of their naivete to give them mortgages THEY KNEW WOULD NOT BE REPAID, and then throwing those people out on the streets after first accepting HANDOUTS because the White House was too 'scared' to let them freaking FAIL, and then CONTINUING to nickel-and-dime people to death.

You just go on ahead, keep defending them. It's not their fault. Insatiable greed and cold-blooded profiteering has nothing to do with it. It's all good, they're just "doing what business people do," and to hell with the needy.

I mean, after all, Jesus has your back, so it'll all be okay!

:shk:

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I know what you're talking about. But you're not listening to me. Because of our absurdly high corporate tax rate companies are forced overseas to countries without confiscatory corporate and personal income taxes. The greatest thing we could do to explode economic growth, create jobs, and bring trillions in overseas assets hom would be to eliminate corporate taxes and personal direct income taxes.

Companies leave the US because of taxes, citizens mass-migrate from high tax states to others without tax rates. There is a lesson to be learned from history, like what happened to the Roman Empire or France and Greece for example.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Companies leave the US because of taxes, citizens mass-migrate from high tax states to others without tax rates. There is a lesson to be learned from history, like what happened to the Roman Empire or France and Greece for example.

I must agree with you here because….well…it’s true. Look at how many large corporations are moving to Texas because of our low taxes. Businesses are leaving places like CA and NY because they are getting financially raped there. The same thing is happening for the same reason on a bigger scale globally. Our government doesn’t create a friendly environment for businesses.

I don’t condone corporations skirting our tax laws or taking advantage of our system but they do so (most of the time) legally. The system is messed up but that isn’t the fault of companies, it’s the fault of our government.

Make a fair tax system, lower the rates, close the loopholes and businesses (and our economy) will thrive IMO.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Lol Republicans keep manufacturing sideshows, country be damned!

Creating a scandal about a Marine holding an umbrella for Obama is higher on their priorities list, than actually doing their jobs and working to pass legislation that helps out the country.

This has now gone past obstructionism and is now almost down right tyrannical.

All Democrats and Republicans need to go. Democrats and Republicans are two sides of the same coin. It is a filthy currency tarnished by greed and corruption that will no longer purchase honest representation for the American People. Democrats and Republicans conspire in Washington to scam, defraud, and extort money from the American people and give it to their butt buddy corporate friends.

Every election cycle we have to choose between the lying, thieving, whore mongering Democrat or the lying, thieving, whore mongering Republican After every election the headlines scream "REPUBLICANS WIN!" or they scream "DEMOCRATS WIN!". But they never, never, never scream "AMERICANS WIN!". Why is that? It is because when Democrats and Republicans win, Americans get screwed.

The only way Americans will ever have an honest government is to quit electing Democrats and Republicans. We need to elect citizen statesmen who love America more than they love power and money. Men who can stand on their own two feet instead of being propped up by gangs of criminals. Honest men with sweat on their brow and calluses on their hands.

The true patriot is not the man who blindly defends a corrupt government. The true patriot is the man who defends the Constitution from that government.

I believe Americans are waking up. We are waking up to the fact the two big political parties do not serve the average American. I believe Obama's popularity will continue to fall as he tries to cement his dictatorship over the American people. I love how Republicans defended George W. Bush because he was THEIR dictator and now Democrats do the same with Barack Obama because he is THEIR dictator. None of these power hungry mad dogs is serving the American citizen. We need to put people in office who know who they are supposed to be working for.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I am listening to you blame government for everything, when the government is IN BED with corrupt corporatists. The blame goes to BOTH.

Those companies aren't FORCED to go, that's ridiculous!!
They're too greedy to pay fair wages to Americans who need work, and they're too interested in hoarding as much wealth as they possibly can while other people STARVE and get worked into early graves. It's WRONG.

reply to post by seabag

Fixing the tax code to make people happier is only ONE thing of SEVERAL that need to be done.

You can't blame the government and NOT HOLD CORPORATIONS or Wall Street ACCOUNTABLE for what they do.

Yes, the SYSTEM needs to be changed from BOTH DIRECTIONS. But it would certainly help if people weren't so psychotically obsessed with "MORE MONEY!!!" and were more compassionate toward the laborers REQUIRED to get the job done, wherever they are. It's sickening. It would help if the insider trading criminals in business and government were removed.

edit on 25-5-2013 by wildtimes because: wrote countries when I meant companies

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

THANK YOU.
Yes, precisely. "Moneyed" people have no business running a country this size..
like Plato said:
The best leaders would be philosophers who don't WANT to lead, but realize they must because they are the only ones who can do so with ethics and morality and the common good in mind.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I am listening to you blame government for everything, when the government is IN BED with corrupt corporatists. The blame goes to BOTH.

I agree with you that they’re both crooked. However, lobbying is legal and so are tax loopholes. Corporations are simply taking advantage of the system. Only government can correct the system, pass campaign finance reform, close the tax loop holes and fix the problems. Therefore, the blame rest squarely on the government’s shoulders.

You can't blame the government and NOT HOLD CORPORATIONS or Wall Street ACCOUNTABLE for what they do.

I want everyone held to account but Wall Street and corporations didn’t create the problem…they exploited it. If the government allows companies to bypass taxation, that’s the government’s fault. You can’t hold corporations to account when they broke no law. If a corporation (and an individual) breaks the law they should be held to account. I say we start with the crooks in DC who line their pockets with bribes to help their fat cat corporate buddies defraud us legally.

edit on 25-5-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I want everyone held to account but Wall Street and corporations didn’t create the problem…they exploited it.

They exploited it BY CHOICE, and they pay politicians to KEEP THE LOOPHOLES OPEN.

But I guess ethics are "relative". You know I agree with you about the lobbying, but even if there wasn't lobbying, there would STILL be congressmen/women with insider trading knowledge and their pockets would still be lined. It's collusion - it's not a one-sided thing.

Especially when scum like Mitt Romney winds up being nominated, and rich lawyers, um.... liars like Obama and ALL POLITICIANS are the "other choice."

Read what groingrinder said above.

EDIT:
Yes. I agree with you again. I made a thread this morning about how hedge funds CHEAT - over in Social Issues, if you want to have a look.
There is ONE government prosecutor who is going after the insider trading and fraudulent criminals, and he's gotten indictments of 81 people --- only 81 of the 10,000 or so people doing the same thing while government looks the other way. But at least we have that ONE.

edit on 25-5-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I am listening to you blame government for everything, when the government is IN BED with corrupt corporatists. The blame goes to BOTH

You're 100% right!!!!

That's why I say are get rid of the Fascism and go back to a free-market Capitalist economic structure!

We haven't had that in over 100 years.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I want everyone held to account but Wall Street and corporations didn’t create the problem

Yes they did.
They own the government.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

They exploited it BY CHOICE, and they pay politicians to KEEP THE LOOPHOLES OPEN.

I said I agree…but who keeps lobbying legal? Who refuses to pass some form of campaign finance reform?

If I encounter a rattle snake, I don’t try to cut off his rattler and pretend the threat is gone. I step on its head and cut it off. That’s how you end the threat. Governemnt is the ‘head’ of this scam.

But I guess ethics are "relative". You know I agree with you about the lobbying, but even if there wasn't lobbying, there would STILL be congressmen/women with insider trading knowledge and their pockets would still be lined. It's collusion - it's not a one-sided thing.

You’re right…and that is the point where, as you said, everyone should be held to account. First our elected officials need to pass the legislation to make these things illegal.

Especially when scum like Mitt Romney winds up being nominated, and rich lawyers, um.... liars like Obama and ALL POLITICIANS are the "other choice."

Read what groingrinder said above.

Agreed!

We're on the same page there.

edit on 25-5-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

But it would certainly help if people weren't so psychotically obsessed with "MORE MONEY!!!"

How do you expect a company to remain in business with rising inflation and taxes??

Please explain this magic formula you have, it would be awesome to see someone I personally know get the Nobel Prize in Economics!

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Yes they did.
They own the government.

They do control the government…legally (lobbying is legal). I’m saying there should be laws to keep money out of DC so this can’t happen. Right now, that’s not the case. Because of that, I blame the lawmakers for their inaction.

If there are strict laws in place, anyone caught violating those laws should be issued a federal prison cell.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I'm no economist, nor am I running for office (EVER)...
people have already come up with ways to stem it, though, so I'd be too late and have too little to offer. My job is to spread the word and wake people up about it.

Four Easy Fixes for Corporate Taxation

It's time to force governments to stamp out tax abuse by corporations and the wealthy.

Everyone "knows" that the corporate income tax is a mess. Ask any company. They pay too much in corporate income tax, face rates higher than in any other OECD country, and are just following the law when they use tax havens to keep profits eternally deferred from taxation and to perform general sleight-of-hand.

Don't believe a word of it.

While some economists believe we shouldn't tax corporations at all, the corporate income tax (CIT) is a necessary backstop to the personal income tax (PIT). With no CIT or a rate lower than the PIT, individuals have an incentive to incorporate their economic activities so they aren't taxed on them, or are taxed less. Needless to say, this is something an average wage or salary worker would not have the ability to do. This is another area where we have one tax law for the 1%, and different rules for the rest of us.

we need to redouble our efforts to force governments to stamp out tax abuse by corporations and the wealthy.

SEABAG - yes, you and I again are in agreement again.
NuT, you still haven't addressed CRIME in business management.

John Deere is a very successful company, based RIGHT HERE. There are others as well, Harley Davidson for one.

This article's author suggests these fixes:
End the usefulness of tax havens for keeping things secret.

End deferred taxation on profits earned 'overseas' and then hidden away until they're repatriated (if ever). Make them pay taxes ON ALL OF THEIR PROFITS to the U.S. if it's a company based here. And also make what they call "unitary taxation"

unitary taxation treats multinational corporations the same way many states already tax the income of multistate corporations: considering all of a company's subsidiaries as a single entity, and using a formula to determine what portion of its global profits are taxable in your jurisdiction.

Don't lower corporate tax rates

Have a look at it (also from Alternet) to see more details about these suggestions.

edit on 25-5-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join