It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 Reasons Why Obama’s Popularity Is Likely to Plummet; The politics of hope & the politics of nope

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
6 Reasons Why Obama’s Popularity Is Likely to Plummet
The politics of hope and the politics of nope.

I am astounded at how badly this is all turning out.

Obama’s popularity seems destined to slide downhill as his second term unfolds, even if polls taken just before this latest political moment show that Obama’s core supporters are still with him.

Looking beyond this week’s accusatory headlines, there are a handful of single issues that will resonate among key Democratic constituencies and big-picture economic issues that seem destined to push Obama’a ratings down.

He may not end his presidency in the low 20s like George W. Bush. But it’s not a stretch to say that last week’s Obama’s 51 percent approval ratings may be the best that he will see this term.

*sigh*
I want my vote back.

Obama’s second term has not yet devolved from hope to nope, but let’s look at what will shape it—where key decisions do not all lie in the hands of uncompromising Republicans who pay no real price for their obstructionism on Capitol Hill.

The biggest game-changers are economic issues, starting with the two pillars that elderly Americans rely on—Social Security and health care. The current generation of people 55 and over is one of the first in many decades that does not have pensions and retirement plans. It is these entitlements that the GOP wants to cut—and Obama has gone along.

Yeah. That.

Progressives already know the sting of disappointment. His second term has been filled with frustrations, posing the question of just how weak can the White House be when it comes to domestic policy?

That, too.

I'm so incredibly disillusioned that I'm really angry.
If this story (from 9 days ago) is a repeat, I trust that mods will shut it down and redirect me to the first posting of it. (500 Internal server error result from ATS search function).

I'm really shook up here, guys and gals.
Looking really not good, this country's future.

edit on 19-5-2013 by wildtimes because: fix headline

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Don't feel bad! It wouldn't be much different if Romney got elected..................

Americans need to wake up and quit voting for whom we are TOLD we can vote for......

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

It wouldn't be much different if Romney got elected.....

Yeah, I realize that now, and thanks for your support.
It will never be 'much different' as long as this 'country' is around. The fall of a world power....all happening again.

What a bummer.

edit on 19-5-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Teapublicans will be carrying on about the stains on the IRA agent's blue Benghazi dress for years to come.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
New CNN/ORC International poll suggests at this point of time, (May 19th, 9AM) President Obama has not taken a hit on his popularity.

Poll Numbers PDF

Take from this what you will.
edit on 19-5-2013 by Terminal1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

LOL! That's rich. I just can't wrap my mind around what's going on here. Maybe I should just stop paying attention and retreat to my backyard, my front-yard garden beds, and best-selling books.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Terminal1

New CNN/ORC International poll suggests at this point of time, (May 19th, 9AM) President Obama has not taken a hit on his popularity.

Well, he did in MY HOUSE!
If people aren't paying attention (which most of them are not!), they'll just keep on keeping on with these dreams of hope, change, prosperity, justice, etc.

I was all about it a few years ago. Now I'm just Pissed As Hell.
Oh well. Live and learn.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I am no fan of Obama, but he is in a tough spot. He's in the kind of damned if he does, damned if he doesn't spot. The right isn't going to like him not matter what he does, but it looks like he's not going to be able to do enough to make the far left happy either..

It may also be worth noting that not all on that list may really make his popularity plummet. Take for example the Keystone pipeline. Do you know that Keystone XL Pipeline Poll Shows Two-Thirds Of Americans Support Controversial Project ?

So while a part of his base may think its a bad, bad thing - 2/3 of the country may think its a good thing. If he approves it some on the left may think its horrible, but they appear to be outnumbered by those that think its a good thing.

In short, if the majority of the country thinks whatever X is - is a good thing, then his popularity likely won't suffer if he does it.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Lol Republicans keep manufacturing sideshows, country be damned!

Creating a scandal about a Marine holding an umbrella for Obama is higher on their priorities list, than actually doing their jobs and working to pass legislation that helps out the country.

This has now gone past obstructionism and is now almost down right tyrannical.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Yes, I understand what you're saying. Personally, I think we (the US) should be exploring, working, researching, developing, and focusing on ALTERNATIVE energy sources, and not "oil" - it's clear as glass to me that 'oil' is a huge factor in the current unrest all over the globe.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Do you know why Obama won't give approval on the Keystone pipeline????

Perhaps because one of his financial supporters has invested a ton of money into a railroad company to haul all that oil???

Let me give you a hint.......check out Warren Buffets investments into the railroad that will haul all of this oil if the pipeline fails..........................

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

check out Warren Buffets investments into the railroad that will haul all of this oil if the pipeline fails..........................

Really?? So we're back to 100 years ago when the industrial magnates started this whole mess!
GHA!!!

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Well, he did in MY HOUSE!
If people aren't paying attention (which most of them are not!), they'll just keep on keeping on with these dreams of hope, change, prosperity, justice, etc.

I was all about it a few years ago. Now I'm just Pissed As Hell.
Oh well. Live and learn.

I'm curious.

What exactly made you change your mind about Obama?

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by flobot

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now I know what's really going on.
I think.

Thanks for asking, though.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

I am no fan of Obama, but he is in a tough spot. He's in the kind of damned if he does, damned if he doesn't spot. The right isn't going to like him not matter what he does, but it looks like he's not going to be able to do enough to make the far left happy either..

Yes, it does look like that.
He can't win for losing. My mom has told me since 2008 that he's a poor leader. I argued with her about it, blamed the GOP for their obstructionist behavior.....
but now? NOW?

Yeah, I always thought 'he's a puppet, but at least the puppeteers want things to improve for the average householder'.....
NOW I know better.

Or maybe I should abandon news sites altogether.

We have tornado weather outside. (oh the irony!)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by Frogs

Yes, I understand what you're saying. Personally, I think we (the US) should be exploring, working, researching, developing, and focusing on ALTERNATIVE energy sources, and not "oil" - it's clear as glass to me that 'oil' is a huge factor in the current unrest all over the globe.

Alternative sources will still consume oil. Even Solar and Wind. Oil is used for practically everything from packaging to pesticides. When oil goes, so does the economy and society as a whole. Hard truth and we are seeing the cracks develop now and have been for well over a decade.

Suadi Arabia which was considered to have had well over 20% of the worlds oil reserves under their ground has been taken to offshore drilling lately. Ask yourself why. Peak oil has passed and we are in for a lot of trouble. At this point in time there are no alternatives that can replace oil and unless the laws of physics change we are pretty much borked.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

At this point in time there are no alternatives that can replace oil and unless the laws of physics change we are pretty much borked.

My daughter is a 24-year old engineer working on alternative fuel cell research using hydrogen....
so, there is hope.

But, yeah, sky is now turning green, heavy winds, and it's not looking safe here weatherwise. So, If I disappear, that's what happened.

:

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Obama is a neocon doing exactly what the corpratacracy tells him to do. Popularity or unpopularity of the American electorate means absolutely nothing to the puppet masters.

They pull the strings and you dance.....

edit on 19-5-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I understand the need for hope. Until they can use hydrogen cells to package goods, fertilize crops to produce food without ruining the land, haul heavy freight like ships or planes, or build hydrogen "plants" that use little or no oil in the process of building, the equation still remains unbalanced.

Engineering is a good skill, but I would also teach her to plant food without Monsanto Frankenseeds to augment her degree.

Teach your children well is just not a CSN song...

EDIT: President Obama is just an Orwellian face on the big screen for the masses to get mad at or praise. He is just a prisoner like just the rest of us. I haven't had faith in any political figure for almost 2 decades now. Yes... I am jaded and have come to realize the important things are local.

edit on 19-5-2013 by Terminal1 because: Afterthought

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join