It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if every crime was legal for one night a year?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I just watched a trailer for a movie called "The Purge" it comes out next month.

The storyline is this,

From IMDb

In an America wracked by crime and overcrowded prisons, the government has sanctioned an annual 12-hour period in which any and all criminal activity-including murder-becomes legal. The police can't be called. Hospitals suspend help. It's one night when the citizenry regulates itself without thought of punishment.

Link

So at first I thought this plot was cheesy, and just chalked it up to be another slasher type movie with endless gore and a pointless plot. But I got thinking about it and it kind of makes sense. What if the government gave us one night per year where we could release and vent all of our frustration? What if we could go out and kill anyone we wanted without consequences? Knowing this, would you try your best not to piss anyone off throughout the year? Would you treat everyone with more respect knowing that if you piss someone off they could come and blow you brains out without consequences?

Do you think this would work in "purging" out the criminals and letting them kill themselves? What would you do ATS? Would you participate? What are your thoughts on this?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Saw that trailer a few weeks ago. Looks downright fantastic.

Ill be interested to watch it...the way it looks in the trailer seems to be somewhat close to what I envision such a night would look like.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Ill be interested to watch it...the way it looks in the trailer seems to be somewhat close to what I envision such a night would look like.

Looks like a good movie. Would you participate in such thing if you had the chance? Do you think it could work?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I'd be torn between staying home and mounting a brisk, lethal defense, or going all murder-y on people I have had enough of.

*knock knock*

"Tom, what are you doing out tonight?"

"Commander, you recall when you shot down our project and then bid our proposal ideas as coming from your favorite supplier?"

"Yes?"

"Well, they didn't call me Tom the Impaler for nothing"

(whups out old favorite Gerber BMF...*stob*)

"AIIIEEE! gurgle gurgle"

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

This looks like a GREAT movie. Will be watching for sure. However, I would leave the country in that scenario LMAO Think of all the people you've pissed off throughout your life.... No thanks

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ValentinoG
reply to post by muse7

This looks like a GREAT movie. Will be watching for sure. However, I would leave the country in that scenario LMAO Think of all the people you've pissed off throughout your life.... No thanks

Would you treat everyone around you with more respect?
Going by the replies so far looks like such thing could work in reducing crimes and making America a more polite and friendly country

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I would kick my wife's a$$ bad. Sorry. It's just what I'd do. You don't like that idea, come live with her.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I know who I would kill, that would be a wonderful day and i wouldn't forget it either

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthSeekerMike
I would kick my wife's a$$ bad. Sorry. It's just what I'd do. You don't like that idea, come live with her.

There's always divorce court bro

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Looks like a good movie. Would you participate in such thing if you had the chance? Do you think it could work?
Personally, for me, I would be so far away, in such a remote place, sitting with my 12guage across my lap, sipping on some Jack, waiting for anybody to bother me.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I've already put it on my Netflix queue, just waiting for it to be on DVD. I don't think I'd want to participate in anything like that. I think I would much rather bolster my defenses and do my best to keep my loved ones safe from harm. Even if you didn't make anyone mad for the whole year it doesn't mean some nutbag wouldn't randomly choose you or your family as a "distraction" during their 12 hour crime spree!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I don't think I would participate, I would baricade in my home and wait it out.

I also think you would see the rise of private security being purchased. I know the idea of the film is kind of "kill the rich" theme...but honestly in a situation like this they would be the best protected.

Think of a gated rich neighborhood...they would pool their money and purchase the best private army they could, they would wall their neighborhood like a fortress and they would be totally safe as the rest of the world burned.

In my opinion, a situation like this would hurt the middle class the most. With the poor knowing they can't touch the rich without having to go through a private army, they would turn on the next best target...the middle class and small businesses.

A concept like this, even one night a year would destroy our society and our economy.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

What if some people don't comply with authorities at the end of the "purge"?

It would suck to be that unlucky bystander caught in the middle of complete mayhem. Society would crumble and people would only respect others out of fear.

This is a strange, yet creative concept (I'm curious if The Purge pulls it off well).

link   
reply to post by muse7

My thoughts on this are...no one would escape punishment...because when their spirit and soul depart from their body on earth and go on to another realm of existence...there will be waiting their eternal punishment.

I would make sure my loved ones and myself were all safe and hidden during those (free for all) hours. I would not participate in any of it.

Edit: Also I just have to add...people's answers on this thread are very interesting...they reveal a side to a persons character.

edit on 14-5-2013 by caladonea because: edit

link   

Would you participate in such thing if you had the chance?

For many of us, the law absolutely pales in comparison to our religious faith and expectations. The idea of dealing with America's joke of a justice system isn't what stays my hand, keeps me from stealing things, or protects those around me from experiencing my wrath. The fact that I actually believe in God and believe that when my short days here on Earth are over I will be judged and my fate for the rest of eternity decided is the reason I try to live my life without leaving a trail of sorrow and villainy behind me.

So no, I wouldn't. It is an interesting and unique idea for a Hollywood movie, however.

ETA: You said any crime, right? I retract my "no I wouldn't participate" comment above and will replace it with "I know of a few closed to hunting and fishing public land locations with my name on them..."

edit on 14-5-2013 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

Would you participate in such thing if you had the chance?

For many of us, the law absolutely pales in comparison to our religious faith and expectations. The idea of dealing with America's joke of a justice system isn't what stays my hand, keeps me from stealing things, or protects those around me from experiencing my wrath. The fact that I actually believe in God and believe that when my short days here on Earth are over I will be judged and my fate for the rest of eternity decided is the reason I try to live my life without leaving a trail of sorrow and villainy behind me.

So no, I wouldn't. It is an interesting and unique idea for a Hollywood movie, however.

ETA: You said any crime, right? I retract my "no I wouldn't participate" comment above and will replace it with "I know of a few closed to hunting and fishing public land locations with my name on them..."

edit on 14-5-2013 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

i share this entire sentiment. my moral compass just wouldnt jive with a night like that. but the hunting and fishing... yeah, take a wingman i trust and go hit that untouchable land for 12 hours.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
With all do respect...this is the dumbest idea ever to get your remorse and revenge energy out on the streets because it would be legal to do it for one night. The movie? Maybe I'll watch it...

Me? It wouldn't even sink in my conscious to go out on the streets one night and vandalize and grab my .45 and 12 gauge and play shoot em up on some random people. Or go to my Xes house who broke my heart years ago, or the guy that looked at me wrong, or the other guy in high school who called the girl I loved a slut...You think I don't have emotions? I can easily make those same people dissapear any night without this dumb idea to be around...But years ago I learned about compassion and control and how every human being is another aspect of me. They are me. I am them. I won't kill another aspect of me because they have done me wrong years ago. This too shall pass is what I tell myself when times get rough...But you know what else? Movies like these implant tiny seeds into the viewers subconscious...Ever played Grand Theft Auto? What if you can become the main character one night...What would you do? #ing insane!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I would burn down NYC probably.

Just to say I did it.

Maybe move on to other major cities. The crime spree may only be 12 hours but the effect would be permanent.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Post a gun up on Jay Leno, and keep it there till i got every pink slip in my hand.

extortion is where its at

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!! AWESOME!!! I have 2 see that movie!

I'm looking for a torrent right now, I'll let you know if I find anything!

P.S. - I wish it was real because I have a list of mother #ers I want to 'PURGE'!!!

Edit - nothing (yet)
edit on 14-5-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join