It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if every crime was legal for one night a year?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
No way.

And it has already been said but I'll say it again: I don't want to be a good person because a law tells me to be. I want to be a good person because that is who I am.

So in the fictional world where that movie was real, I'd definitely be on the defensive and not the offensive.

And remember- whoever you'd like to hurt/rape/rob/vandalize would also have full impunity to mess you up. Like the member who said he'd beat his wife- not if she offs you first. And if she is as bad as you say, then she'd probably would before you got to her. lol

Or if you want to loot a store, don't cry when the owners are there waiting for people like you and have a basement full of torture tools waiting to do a number on you. Try to rape someone's daughter and have that family catch you and slowly stick pins into your you-know-what. Attempt to assassinate a politician and have their private security rearrange your face.

Etc.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I wouldn't do a damned thing different on that day...certainly not cause death and destruction.

I would be kind..."Just because I could"....and the effect would also be permanent.

It is rather telling how many people would be absolute monsters if they thought they could get away with it. There are some on here who would be dangerous if they had brains....thankfully, they are not burdened with functional grey matter.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus

It is rather telling how many people would be absolute monsters if they thought they could get away with it. There are some on here who would be dangerous if they had brains....thankfully, they are not burdened with functional grey matter.
Not just telling, but rather scary. This thread has honestly made me question if I want to be associated with ATS anymore....

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I'm gonna have to say the same if this thread doesn't get deleted.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Ive talked about this theme before in another post there using Saturnalia as inspiration
Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. The festival began when Roman authorities chose “an enemy of the Roman people” to represent the “Lord of Misrule.” Each Roman community selected a victim whom they forced to indulge in food and other physical pleasures throughout the week. At the festival’s conclusion, December 25th, Roman authorities believed they were destroying the forces of darkness by brutally murdering this innocent man or woman.

The ancient Greek writer poet and historian Lucian (in his dialogue entitled Saturnalia) describes the festival’s observance in his time. In addition to human sacrifice, he mentions these customs: widespread intoxication; going from house to house while singing naked; rape and other sexual license; and consuming human-shaped biscuits (still produced in some English and most German bakeries during the Christmas season).

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I'd post up on the roof of my house in full plated armour (cuz peoples like the shinies), shooting a potato launcher packed with copious amounts of an otherwise illegal medicine at everyone that passes by, singing "Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley at the top of my lungs. If someone doesn't like it and I get blasted off the roof... well I guess it was just my time

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
I would burn down NYC probably.

Just to say I did it.

Maybe move on to other major cities. The crime spree may only be 12 hours but the effect would be permanent.

I hope you are kidding.... and if you aren't? What on earth is wrong with you?

I just cannot imagine inflicting that type of pain and horror on anyone, let alone an entire city/cities, even hypothetically.

If you are really lacking compassion for your fellow humans on that kind of a scale, I truly feel sorry for you.

As for the OP:

I would not participate.

I would still treat people the same way I do now; with compassion, common courtesy, and respect.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn

Just to say I did it.

Maybe move on to other major cities. The crime spree may only be 12 hours but the effect would be permanent.

I hope you are kidding.... and if you aren't? What on earth is wrong with you?

I just cannot imagine inflicting that type of pain and horror on anyone, let alone an entire city/cities, even hypothetically.

If you are really lacking compassion for your fellow humans on that kind of a scale, I truly feel sorry for you.

I was wondering the same thing. If it was a joke it was a stupid one.
Someone just got put on an FBI watch list

I swear though, I would hide in a bunker or dig a fox hole in the woods and hide for the day if that were real.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Casualboy100
I would force you to check out the thread I ALREADY MADE about this movie

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Then give you some pie

edit on 15-5-2013 by Casualboy100 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-5-2013 by Casualboy100 because: (no reason given)

Your thread might be about the movie, however I created this thread to start a conversation about whether or not a purge would work in real life, not necessarily about the movie it self.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Hmmm.

As much as a part of me may enjoy the thought of kicking down a few doors with a 'Heeeeeeeeeres JOHNNY!" (by the way, my AR is nicknamed Johnny
)...no...

I'd likely have my family all in the car, whisked away to a place in the middle of nowhere I'd already scouted out and secured.

I'd be well-rested, well-armed and on gaurd for the next 12 hours...anyone who happens up that forest path to where we are, intent on racking up their kill-count...nah nah champ...its goodnight nurse...
edit on 15-5-2013 by alien because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Pretty much same here.

Couldn't do anything like some are suggesting...the wolves of my own conscience would eat me alive...

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

We asked the same questions and we both wanted a conversation about the same subject.

"Do you think this will ever happen" is technically asking the same thing you are asking. Lets be real here c'mon

I know this thread is probably your most popular so I'm gonna hand to you. But I still think it's unfair.

edit on 16-5-2013 by Casualboy100 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
How would you like it if I made a thread about the same subject and asked the same questions as one of your threads but added one just to get by? Then it became more popular then yours? You would be mad right? Right.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Casualboy100

I'm sure it's not the first time or last time that a situation like the one your stating has hapened on ATS, I'm sorry for that Casualboy~

@~Thread~

Remember this is a hypothetical question, it bears nothing on reality and most individuals have a active imagination in regards to being asked a hypothetical question and the response that is given. Though sick and twisted as some responses are I feel it says nothing of the charecter of ATS or the members as this question is being based off a Movie and holds no bearing to the reality we all live. (though if you go to some countries..... bah nvm)

Fantasy is fantasy and over active imaginations have given us some of the best books, movies, cartoons, anime, sci-fi, fantasy that we currently have for our viewing and reading enjoyment.

Just my 2 sense, but what do I know~

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Casualboy100

No I checked your thread your first post praises the movie which I agree looks to be a good one. The header is just "the purge" so no indications that you wanted to talk about weither it could become a reality. Why even murk up someone elses post because you didnt think about it when you made it its just childish.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I would definately take advantage of something like this to errrr "remove", some very deserving "isues", that have been plauging me for the last few years...lol

Why not, the world would be a better place without some individuals.. :/

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

It is tough to say. Some people like watching others suffer regardless of kindness. Twelve hours with no safety in an unknown neighborhood would probably mean death. Psychos are everywhere; they just aren't yet active one could say.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by darknull

Well if you would've kept reading I said that the OP made a new question for this thread just to get by. Read before replying next time

Also I did say if it became reality.

LIke I said before, WOuldn't you be mad if someone made the exact same thread as yours but added 1 question to get by? YOu would be pissed

Also one more thing, he/she can have the dang thread
i don't care any more. But he or she is wrong.

edit on 17-5-2013 by Casualboy100 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

No you wouldn't. Assuming you actually live in Arizona, you wouldn't be able to make it to Sky Harbor Airport to GET to NYC in 12 hours even if you lived in Tempe.

But everybody's got to have their dreams, right?

Me, I would do the same thing in that time frame as I do most everyday. Absolutely nothing.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Kind of a stupid premise.

Those with something to lose would be shut ins, defending themselves and theirs tooth and nail (and have full impunity to simply shoot anyone getting close to them, from a fortified position).

Those with nothing to lose would take part, but likely get taken out by well-entrenched citizens. The only people out on the streets on such a night would be criminals, and viewed as unworthy of assistance.

So, the next time you laugh at a "prepper" and think it will never happen, just remember these posts. These are the folks, that in a SHTF scenario, are going to be looking to kill and rape, anything else their hearts desire, just because they now can without fear of law. (of course, it goes both ways, meaning the guy who used to worry about legal consequences of blowing your head off during a break in, is now going to have NO qualms about doing so).

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join