It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hispanic worker sues for injury; Couldn't read warning sign in English...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

English is not required to get a green card or a work visa, further lots of legal immigrant families don't learn english beyond what's needed to pass the test and don't teach their children english. Are you saying people aren't at liberty to speak whatever language they choose? Should there be a law that makes people take english classes? A government agency that oversees english fluency?

Or can we finally accept that we are an immigrant nation and print signs in popular languages? Not that hard.
edit on 10-5-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74

Originally posted by suz62
You want to live and work in the United States then learn the language. We speak English.

You want to speak Spanish go back to Mexico.

The United States of America does not have an official language. Why does anyone expect everything to be in English?

I always thought it was because English is the widest spoken language in the world, and more people speak English than don't. So I would imagine that learning a little bit of English would give a foreigner an excellent advantage and better their chances of making a good life in an English-speaking country.

Of course, a quicker, easier way to a better life is to pretend you don't understand a word of English then sue someone else for a small fortune, and Hey Presto! Instant riches. Not saying that this is the case here. But if I thought of it, you can guarantee the same thought crossed the mind of that worker too.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by kaylaluv

America 'welcomed foreigners' ???

Where the hell does someone get that?

Treated the Irish like crap
Treated the Africans like crap
Treated the Chinese like crap
Treated the Polish like crap
Treated the Japanese like crap
Treated the Germans like crap.

And the list goes on.

Why the hell should Mexicans be any different?

In fact treating immigrants like crap has always been a part of American history.

I
edit on 10-5-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

So, you hate America - I get it. When are you moving to Russia, Sasha?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

So, you hate America - I get it. When are you moving to Russia, Sasha?

Nice hyperbole.

Open up a history book, and learn American history not such a 'rosy picture' as some like to think it is.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

English has been the unofficial language of the United States for 237+ years. We used to be a British colony. Perhaps you're familiar with the English who speak English. Some of them wrote a couple of documents together - the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence - IN ENGLISH.

So, yeah, we speak English.

Crack a book now and then. If you can't read, try the History Channel. If all else fails I'm sure there are kiddy books with pictures.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Or can we finally accept that we are an immigrant nation and print signs in popular languages? Not that hard.
edit on 10-5-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

And shouldn't the immigrants who freely enter the USA accept that they are entering a country of their own free will that doesn't have their language as it's first, and therefore attempt to integrate themselves by learning English,especially when they want to work...

ONLY IN THE USA COULD THIS ACTUALLY GET TO COURT...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

...that doesn't have any language as it's first. Why does a multilingual society bother anyone? I don't get it.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Todzer

Someone said the person in question has been here 14 years.

Duh.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

reply to post by Kali74

English has been the unofficial language of the United States for 237+ years. We used to be a British colony. Perhaps you're familiar with the English who speak English. Some of them wrote a couple of documents together - the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence - IN ENGLISH.

So, yeah, we speak English.

Crack a book now and then. If you can't read, try the History Channel. If all else fails I'm sure there are kiddy books with pictures.

Then why do we have so many states and cities that are in different languages? Nevada, California, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, San Francisco, etc, etc., etc. In Texas we have many German town names like Fredericsburg and New Braunfels. Those damn Germans coming over here and naming our towns with un-American names!
They come over here and take our jobs -- they should name towns with American names only!! /sarcasm

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Curious what's the real deal here?

Given the so called emphasis on 'education' that millions of Americans are told to be 'bilingual' as many of us took alternative languages in school.

What is the problem requiring immigrants to do the same?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

English is not required to get a green card or a work visa, further lots of legal immigrant families don't learn english beyond what's needed to pass the test and don't teach their children english. Are you saying people aren't at liberty to speak whatever language they choose? Should there be a law that makes people take english classes? A government agency that oversees english fluency?

It should be required! It's not racist or anti-immigration to want people to assimilate as a condition of working here or attaining citizenship.

English should be made our official language and anyone seeking to come here and prosper should be required to learn it.

The country shouldn't change to accommodate people from other countries. That is stupid!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
link

so i goggled warning sign English Spanish, and it seems to me there is a conman theme, bright colors and bold words, i cant read spanish, but if I came across a sign in spanish with bright colors and bold words i would assume its a warning sign and find out what it says or just go about my business with caution. Just because these signs were in english, doesn't mean there was not a obvious risk involved,

this is just another case of people trying to pass the buck, the spanish speaking individual decided not to follow up on the obvious warning sign that they saw and got injured, but now its someone elses fault.

edit on 10-5-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I think it's a case of making some easy money.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace

Originally posted by ElohimJD
They are being sued for breaking no laws, when hired, these employees understood this campus is English only.

You do realize that there is a difference between a criminal case (law broken) and a civil lawsuit (negligence). The employer interviewed the employee prior to the hiring. Obviously the employee didn't know that the campus was "English only", because someone hired him. The employer knew there was a language barrier. The employer failed to provide warning signs in the employees spoken language. That is what we call negligence. Negligence is not necessarily a crime, but it certainly is grounds for a lawsuit.

edit on 10-5-2013 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

forget about the idea that your suggestion is ridiculous... There is a thing in business law called contributory negligence. If they were made aware of the signs at all and didn't bother to ask for or figure out their meaning, then they could arguably be up to 100% negligent themselves...

Jaden

link   
reply to post by seabag

It should be required! It's not racist or anti-immigration to want people to assimilate as a condition of working here or attaining citizenship.

No it's not figure those who want to live here, and be granted citizenship should at least be able to read the two most important documents in this countries history.

The US constitution, and the Declaration of Independence the only language those are written in is english.

link   

reply to post by Todzer

Someone said the person in question has been here 14 years.

Duh.

And I am sure your family did not learn English overnight either because in the 1800's German was the second most spoken language

en.m.wikipedia.org...

I am sure with that many people speaking German at the time your family especially the older ones did not have to learn English being that they would have had many people to converse with in German. Now if this person is living with people that speak Spanish do you not think it may take someone awhile to learn English?
edit on 10/5/13 by Todzer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
reply to post by DistantRumor

the worker here in this case knew it was a english speaking campus. if you want to assimilate into a new country it is your responsibility, to learn the language, of the country in order to function as a productive member of that society.

not the country to cottle you and hold your hand as you make your way through life.

i' use to run a repair shop had many hispanics come in and try and pull the no habla b.s on me. but just as soon as i started talking money, they could speak english just fine.

edit on 10-5-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-5-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

Where do you live? Are you that closed into your suburban area in middle America. Come to the city, especially New York. My neighborhood is a predominately Hispanic community. Right up from us is a predominately Asian community. To our side is a predominately Arabic/Muslim community. More than half of the people here and our neighboring neighborhoods don't speak good English, nor should they have to. There is no official language of the United States for the purpose that this nation is so diverse.

You're over here putting an excuse for the employers mistake. You're not fine with them not knowing the Enlgish language in this situation, but you're probably without a worry when you hire someone to fix something in your house, your car, or mow your lawn, and it's likely an employer with Hispanic workers getting paid under minimum wage so that could slightly cut the cost for you and the employer.

Get out of your box and get over the fact that this Hispanic population in America will continue to grow, and unless the Government wants to provide these people with tools to learn the language of choice companies are just going to have to deal with it and simply provide warning signs in multiple languages, it's simple.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Todzer

Fourteen years?! Now you're just trolling.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

reply to post by andy1972

...that doesn't have any language as it's first. Why does a multilingual society bother anyone? I don't get it.

You would require everyone to be multi-lingual but not foreigners? Haha.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FidelityMusic

I'll grant you this much - the country the FF's intended has come and gone. We burned the candle at both ends in the 20th century and now America is dying. I'm happy to say I lived through about the last 30 years of its heyday.
edit on 5/10/2013 by suz62 because: Punctuation

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join