It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hispanic worker sues for injury; Couldn't read warning sign in English...

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

Originally posted by LeatherNLace
The injured worker has a legitimate case. OSHA regulations require that warning signs be posted in both English AND Spanish. Like it or not, there are people who do not speak English and are hired by the employer with full knowledge that there is a language barrier. This is the employers fault for hiring non-English speaking workers and/or not providing the required warning signs.
edit on 10-5-2013 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

If that's the case, then OSHA regulations are discriminating against all non-Spanish-speaking employees, who have a primary language other than English. The OP is right; unless they mandate signs in EVERY SINGLE LANGUAGE spoken by non-English speakers, they are wrong for requiring any. Why should Spanish speakers have signs for them, when all others have to learn English? Are they not capable of learning as the rest do?

Exactly!!

Notice how people keep ignoring the hundreds of others and only cater to one group?
Not only that, but there are places all across the USA where WE are required to speak spanish in order to get a job! There is something seriously wrong here!

Oh, I have noticed! I have been in the position of being denied a job because I didn't speak Spanish, too! In a field, mind you, that I had worked for years, without needing it, and was only trying to find another job in because the place I was working was being torn down.

Originally posted by Night Star
31 States have English as thier primary language.
us-english.org...

Nice list! I live in one of those states. Even in such a state, though, I have seen places where labels in stores were turned to the Spanish sides, instead of the English ones. This, mind you, in a place that is very NON-diverse racially, where I almost never hear anything but English spoken.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sbert

The French have always been a bit anal about their language. It is a French thing it appears. There are parts of French culture which I will never fully understand.

I would be more concerned with integration into the society rather than integration into the country. If people coming over can work, willing to be part of their community and strive to a better live, I can over look poor English ability for the most part.

Local community support is key I think. For example, here in the Tokyo metro area every city hall has a list of free English lessons offered by community groups as well as local city hall funded lessons. Many communities are more than willing to help newcomers learn Japanese language so the foreigners life will be better in Japan. I don`t see the same level of community support as much in America. Japanese, for the most part, tend to only complain about foreigners openly when they are frustrated or misunderstand a culture difference. Usually they tend to at least attempt to help those from other lands gain the needed tools to have a decent live in Japan.

I find it a little sad that Japan, a nation infamous for xenophobic attitudes, can at least offer basic Japanese lessons often for free, while a lot of Americans demand foreigners speak English yet do little or nothing to support those in need of English speaking ability.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
reply to post by DistantRumor

the worker here in this case knew it was a english speaking campus. if you want to assimilate into a new country it is your responsibility, to learn the language, of the country in order to function as a productive member of that society.

not the country to cottle you and hold your hand as you make your way through life.

i' use to run a repair shop had many hispanics come in and try and pull the no habla b.s on me. but just as soon as i started talking money, they could speak english just fine.

edit on 10-5-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-5-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

I agree. This is just more of the 'entitlement mentality' that grown in the United States over the past few years.

At a former bank job that I held, a customer sat down and chatted with me about the bank location in Texas. She said that it's hard to distinguish which country you are in once inside because EVERYTHIG is in Spanish; you have to get an English translator.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by CryHavoc

Originally posted by Wildbob77
A requirement for citizenship should be proficiency in English.

You have to be able to read English to take the Citizenship test.
edit on 11-5-2013 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

I doubt it..Surely they have it available in Spanish, as most documents are.
edit on 5-6-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by DistantRumor
reply to post by guohua

If an organization is going to hire people that don't speak English, then it is their responsibility that they are still safe in the work place.

No one forced them to hire these people who don't speak English, it was their choice. And since it was their choice, it is their duty to ensure their safety and that includes providing warning signs in the language of the people they decide to hire.

Yep - very true. If you don't want to have translated signs, then don't hire Spanish-speaking only people. Don't tell me the company wasn't aware when they interviewed her that she only spoke Spanish. It's up to the employer to do what they can to keep their employees safe. That includes ALL employees, not just the ones who speak English.

This first time I worked as a volunteer in Latin America, I learned what the various warning signs ment quite quickly. It did not take me much time at all to learn Cuidado! Piso Mojado!

It is inherent to learn the safety issues in the job you work. I have a sinking suspicion that this is just another attempt to win the lawsuit lottery.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie

Originally posted by CryHavoc

Originally posted by Wildbob77
A requirement for citizenship should be proficiency in English.

You have to be able to read English to take the Citizenship test.
edit on 11-5-2013 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

I doubt it..Surely they have it available in Spanish, as most documents are.
edit on 5-6-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

www.legallanguage.com...

Citizenship Requirements in the US

To be eligible to apply for the naturalization process, immigrants must be lawful permanent residents (green card holders) who meet the following criteria:
•They must be at least 18 years old.
•They must have been a green card holder for at least the five years immediately preceding the date of filing the application.
•They must have lived in the US state where they currently reside for at least three months prior to the date of filing the application.
•They must have been present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the five years immediately preceding the date of filing the application.
•They must not have been convicted of any serious crimes.
•They cannot leave the United States from the date of application for naturalization up to the time of gaining citizenship.
•They must be able to read, write and speak English and have knowledge and an understanding of US history and government.
•They must have good moral character and be committed to the principles of the US Constitution.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
But..... he is smart enough to hire a lawyer and sue.
Bad apple.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by freedomwv

while a lot of Americans demand foreigners speak English yet do little or nothing to support those in need of English speaking ability.

Most if not every H/S in Phoenix Arizona and many Elementary schools offer Free ESL classes ( English, Second, Language )
My wife has a girlfriend married to an old friend of mine, in Virginia, They also attend ESL classes at a the Middle school two blocks from his home in Virginia Beach.
This is all free to anyone wanting to LEARN English,,, That's the Problem, most have no desire or see no need to learn, We Cater to them,,,

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I suppose the Employer had to hire non English speaking employees because English speakers are bone idle and don't want the jobs.
Being cheaper to employ never enters into it. I wonder who'll end up paying for the compensation.
Perhaps the employer could hire people who aren't too stupid to realise something is dangerous without having a sign to tell them.
Who will gain from this? The Lawyers.

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join