It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hispanic worker sues for injury; Couldn't read warning sign in English...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by Night Star

Never before in the history of immigration have we had to press 1 for english. Never before have we had to speak spanish in order to get hired for a job in our own country. Never before have we had to have spanish signs everywhere.

press 1- business decision

speak Spanish to get hired- business decision

Spanish signs- business decision.

It's all about the mighty dollar. Should government regulate what languages businesses should be allowed to use?

Yep, the USA is changing for the worse because of greed. Sad really.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Government already does regulate language most people just call it education, and the rest of it as 'hate speech', and 'yelling fire' in a crowded theatre.

People are making an assumption as if there needs to be a 'law',.

It doesn't just common sense kind of like if someone moved to Mexico they would be expected to learn spanish.

Yes?
edit on 10-5-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by jam321

Government already does regulate language most people just call it education, and the rest of it as 'hate speech', and 'yelling fire' in a crowded theatre.

People are making an assumption as if there needs to be a 'law',.

It doesn't just common sense kind of like if someone moved to Mexico they would be expected to learn spanish.

Yes?

YES!!!!!! No one should go to a foreign country to work and live and expect the entire country to cater to your needs and speak 'your' language. I find that disrespectful and arrogant.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I really do not know why I respond to you...you have time and time again continue to show me you bring nothing to a debate...well anything intelligent.

Civil Rights Act of 1964

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Pub.L. 88–352, 78 Stat. 241, enacted July 2, 1964) is a landmark piece of civil rights legislation in the United States[1] that outlawed major forms of discrimination against racial, ethnic, national and religious minorities, and women.[2] It ended unequal application of voter registration requirements and racial segregation in schools, at the workplace and by facilities that served the general public (known as "public accommodations"). Powers given to enforce the act were initially weak, but were supplemented during later years. Congress asserted its authority to legislate under several different parts of the United States Constitution, principally its power to regulate interstate commerce under Article One (section 8), its duty to guarantee all citizens equal protection of the laws under the Fourteenth Amendment and its duty to protect voting rights under the Fifteenth Amendment. The Act was signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson, who would later sign the landmark Voting Rights Act into law.

Language Rights Are Protected Under Civil Rights Law

Through the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and confirmation of the link between language and national origin by the Supreme Court and the Executive Branch, it is clear that language discrimination is protected against. The rights of LEPs are protected rights and English-only policies only serve to jeopardize those rights.

So as you can see not making America an English only speaking country goes against the civil rights act. You are attempting to discriminate against those that do not speak English regardless of their culture..mainly Mexicans.

Mexican American

As of July 2011, Mexican Americans make up 10.8% of the United States' population with over 33,558,000 Americans listed as being of full or partial Mexican ancestry. Mexican Americans comprise 64.6% of all Hispanics and Latinos in the United States.[1] The United States is home to the second largest Mexican community in the world second only to Mexico itself comprising nearly 22% of the entire Mexican origin population of the world. Canada is a distant third with a small but fast-growing Mexican Canadian population of 61,505 as of 2006 (compared to 37,000 as of 2001).[2][3] In addition, as of 2008 there were approximately 7,000,000 undocumented Mexicans living in the United States. Upgrading their legal status became a major issue in 2013.[4] Over 60% of all Mexican Americans reside in the states of California and Texas.

Also discriminatory against the Native Americans. What about those that choose not to speak English.

What about Germans, Polish. Jewish and any other minority and Mexican Americans...the constitution protects them ..you know the one that you and other righty's love to use in a debate.

So are you saying your precious constitution is wrong?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
If they manage to sue then everyone will be suing people. What about english speaking people who can't read? I don't think anyone who is english speaking has sued due to can't read. Wow what a world we live in. These people who come here to our country expects free stuff and expects them to come first, If they bothered to read the requirements in their contracts it will list that they must be able to read and write and understand english language. Its a curtsey for foreigners to learn their hosts language if they decide to live there. If I went to another country which english was not understood I would get to learn their own language to be accepted into society. My dentist can't speak much english but least he tries.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Like it or not...Mexican Americans are becoming a major part of the country...so it only stands to reason..the country cater to them. I'm sure the same would also be true if it was Asian Americans or any other minority.

I find it wrong that a country built by immigrants, and is also for multiculturalism..should have to cater to the racist of America who only want to make it English only.

They want this because then the non English of America would not have a voice. Which is wrong and not what your forefathers wanted.

How can you tell if someone is racist? They have to include they have a minority as a friend before they say something ignorant...

edit on 10-5-2013 by kerazeesicko because: I CAN

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sk8ergrl
If they manage to sue then everyone will be suing people. What about english speaking people who can't read? I don't think anyone who is english speaking has sued due to can't read. Wow what a world we live in. These people who come here to our country expects free stuff and expects them to come first, If they bothered to read the requirements in their contracts it will list that they must be able to read and write and understand english language. Its a curtsey for foreigners to learn their hosts language if they decide to live there. If I went to another country which english was not understood I would get to learn their own language to be accepted into society. My dentist can't speak much english but least he tries.
You know, you could use a few tips on grammar and spelling yourself. Or is this intentional irony?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

You really like to bully people due to their spelling omg your so sad and don't judge me as you don't even know me. I edited my post as that was uncalled for and I'm sorry about the Canadian slur.

edit on 5/10/1313 by Sk8ergrl because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/10/1313 by Sk8ergrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You are comparing apples and oranges when you make such a statement. Their is no country like the US which is full of people from all countries and many languages. On the other hand, Mexico is primarily full of Mexicans. I just never will understand why people fear other languages. In the end, English wins out. It has already taken over in my family as more and more of my family talk splangish or don't talk Spanish at all. You got countries, even Mexico, all over the world teaching English as a Second language as well.

From 2009 when Mexico implemented a new strategy for teaching English as a Second Language

Within six years, Mexican education officials plan to have all 12 million of the country's public primary schoolchildren learning English, according to an article published this week in the Houston Chronicle.

blogs.edweek.org...

John Adams, predicted in 1780 that “English will be the most respectable language in the world and the most universally read and spoken in the next century, if not before the end of this one.” It is destined “in the next and succeeding centuries to be more generally the language of the world than Latin was in the last or French is in the present age.”

www.japantimes.co.jp...

The Tower of Babel separated us by languages but English will reunite us.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

You are attempting to discriminate against those that do not speak English regardless of their culture..mainly Mexicans.

BULLCRAP!

Apparently those people who move here, and don't want to learn the language are the ones 'discriminating'.for whatever reason,

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

You are comparing apples and oranges when you make such a statement.

Nope

Their is no country like the US which is full of people from all countries and many languages

Sure there is our neighbors up north for instance, has quite a few immigrants, as well as across the pond in Europe, as well as every other country in the world.

Immigration is nothing new.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I find it wrong that a country built by immigrants, and is also for multiculturalism..should have to cater to the racist of America who only want to make it English only.

Really expect people to buy that nonsense once again :

Language is learned.

Not race.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

You are attempting to discriminate against those that do not speak English regardless of their culture..mainly Mexicans.

BULLCRAP!

Apparently those people who move here, and don't want to learn the language are the ones 'discriminating'.for whatever reason,

BULLCRAP!

Those that move here and don't learn the language don't learn it because they don't have to....those that bitch about it are discriminating because they want others to conform....if it were up to Neo, we'd all be wearing gasmasks and (apparently) type choppy English.

edit on 10-5-2013 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko
Like it or not...Mexican Americans are becoming a major part of the country...so it only stands to reason..the country cater to them. I'm sure the same would also be true if it was Asian Americans or any other minority.

They want this because then the non English of America would not have a voice. Which is wrong and not what your forefathers wanted.

How can you tell if someone is racist? They have to include they have a minority as a friend before they say something ignorant...

edit on 10-5-2013 by kerazeesicko because: I CAN

So now all immigrants coming to the US has to learn english AND spanish? You do realize that the only reason there are so many spanish speakers here is because of uncontrolled illegal immigration through the years, right? So in essence, you are rewarding people who lack respect for our language and our laws. You're telling us that spanish speakers are special? Are you saying that english doesn't unite everyone here no matter what the language of their home country?

Is there not harmony when all cultures can speak the most common language of the land? They come here to work and to live and to segregate themselves against the people of their home country. No other foreign language speakers expect us to change our country for them, we sure as hell shouln't be catering to one group above all else.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you bring up the forefathers could not have seen the future...the same argument could be used for guns. But this isn't about guns right now..it is about a few ignorant fools attempting to make something out of nothing.

So suddenly it's all about 'cilvil right's now, but when it comes to money, and guns guess civil right's go out with the bath water.

Some people get civil rights, some don't be nice if some were consistent when they 'talk about civil rights'.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

BULLCRAP! Those that move here and don't learn the language don't learn it because they don't have to....those that bitch about it are discriminating because they want others to conform....if it were up to Neo, we'd all be wearing gasmasks and (apparently) type choppy English.

Don't have to?

Mean i spent 12 years being forced to learn it like millions of other Americans for nothing?

Nice potshot of course it adds nothing to the topic with exception of elitism just like all those who move here, and think they are 'too good' to bother speaking english.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace

BULLCRAP!

BULLCRAP!

Those that move here and don't learn the language don't learn it because they don't have to....those that bitch about it are discriminating because they want others to conform....if it were up to Neo, we'd all be wearing gasmasks and (apparently) type choppy English.

edit on 10-5-2013 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

What about the other hundreds of languages spoken here? You want us to learn those languages as well? I didn't think so!

You're right they don't HAVE to learn the language. They can keep themselves segregated from everyone else and keep to their own kind if they want, but they shouldn't be surprised when everyone else is resentful when they do. Because all other cultures had the respect to learn the language of the land, the most common one spoken, they can converse with anyone no matter who they are or where they are originally from. Common sense, english spoken in the USA unites people. If you don'tlike that, there is something seriously wrong here.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Don't have to?

Nope, no law requires it.

Mean i spent 12 years being forced to learn it like millions of other Americans for nothing?

only 12 years? It is apparent. And yes, you wasted your time if (E)nglish does not suit you.

Nice potshot

Just stating the obvious.

of course it adds nothing to the topic with exception of elitism

Yes, I'm am better than you. Tolerance and acceptance goes a long way.

just like all those who move here, and think they are 'too good' to bother speaking english.

Again, they don't have to. Talk about "elitist".

P.S. look at you, can't even bother to capitalize the proper name of your native language. Lazy or ignorant?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

Nope, no law requires it.

Yeah there is www.lodinews.com...

only 12 years? It is apparent. And yes, you wasted your time if (E)nglish does not suit you.

Funny as people have no problems understanding what I say.

Just stating the obvious.

Actually violating ATS Terms, and Conditions
www.abovetopsecret.com...

16) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive, libelous, defamatory, hateful, intolerant, bigoted and/or racist manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

Yes, I'm am better than you. Tolerance and acceptance goes a long way.

Too funny.

Again, they don't have to. Talk about "elitist".

Do tell then since someone is so 'better than me' what does this say?

Do I need to be able to speak English to become a U.S. citizen? Yes, you must be able to read, write, and speak simple English. There are some exceptions for some older and long-time residents, and for some disabled permanent residents.

www.cuny.edu...

P.S. look at you, can't even bother to capitalize the proper name of your native language. Lazy or ignorant?

So how many immigrants bother to capitalize their names?

Are they lazy or ignorant?

Nice condescension there btw must be nice to be 'better than' everyone.

From ATS:

15i.) Language: The dominant language of our users and moderation staff is English. In order to promote a smooth-running environment and fair enforcement of the Terms and Conditions of Use (and the Terms and Conditions of Membership), you agree not to Post or chat in any language other than English.

Hmmmm. love that page.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

From ATS:

15i.) Language: The dominant language of our users and moderation staff is English. In order to promote a smooth-running environment and fair enforcement of the Terms and Conditions of Use (and the Terms and Conditions of Membership), you agree not to Post or chat in any language other than English.

Hmmmm. love that page.

That says a lot , doesn't it????

Maybe we need to adopt Australia's requirements, when it comes to Language.

The Australian citizenship test plays a valuable role in encouraging people to find out more about Australia, as well as understanding the responsibilities and privileges being an Australian citizen brings. All the information you need to pass the test is in the citizenship test resource Australian Citizenship: Our Common Bond.

The citizenship test:

is in English
consists of 20 multiple choice questions, and
has a pass mark of 75 percent.

There is not a separate English language test but you will need a basic knowledge of English to pass the test.

Before you can sit the citizenship test, you must apply for citizenship.

About the citizenship test

Wait....

Its a requirement here also???

edit on 10-5-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join