It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hispanic worker sues for injury; Couldn't read warning sign in English...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by andy1972

...that doesn't have any language as it's first. Why does a multilingual society bother anyone? I don't get it.

It bothers people when certain ethnics / immigrants use their status as ethnics / immigrants to earn a quick buck...

In Spain theres

Morrocans
English
French
Russians
Rumanians
Senegalese
Chinese
Italians
Germans
Dutch
North Africans

Etc, etc,etc, etc etc,

Nobody, i mean, NOBODY, plays this game with the Spanish Justice system because they know it wont work.

This is disgusting.

If these people wish to work in a society that gives them an oportunidad to live a better life, then at least have the common decency to at least try to learn the language, be it the oficial or not.

I hate immigrants who enter a foreign country and immediately think that the whole country MUST adapt themselves to their way of life.

I AM AN IMMIGRANT.

I came to Spain 15 years ago.

In Spain theres thousands upon thousands of English, yet i didn't and dont expect the Spanish to put everything in English just because were here.

To the contrary, i learnt Castillian Spanish, the official language, i learnt Catalán, the local dialect.
I wanted to work here. i wanted to live here. SO I LEARNT AND I CHANGED.

I integrated myself to the society thats given me my home for a decade and a half.

Why the hell cant everyone else show the same respect.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by suz62
You want to live and work in the United States then learn the language. We speak English.

You want to speak Spanish go back to Mexico.

You want to live and work in the United States? Then learn the language; I speak English.

You want to speak Spanish? Go back to Mexico. ******************

Learn the language you use before criticizing others' abilities.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

No politics needed. It's up to the employer to provide a safe working environment. It's part of 'due diligence' which is an integral part of their insurance coverage. They screw up - they become liable.

You wanna bet they won't do it again.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

The US constitution, and the Declaration of Independence the only language those are written in is english.

Not true - it's quite simple to find both those documents in Spanish. These are from American universities. I bet I could find them somewhere on usgov.org as well.

pdba.georgetown.edu...

chnm.gmu.edu...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze
link

so i goggled warning sign English Spanish, and it seems to me there is a conman theme, bright colors and bold words, i cant read spanish, but if I came across a sign in spanish with bright colors and bold words i would assume its a warning sign and find out what it says or just go about my business with caution. Just because these signs were in english, doesn't mean there was not a obvious risk involved,

this is just another case of people trying to pass the buck, the spanish speaking individual decided not to follow up on the obvious warning sign that they saw and got injured, but now its someone elses fault.

edit on 10-5-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

Every warning sign here in Spain is yellow. Its written in Spanish and underneath, theres a drawing, being of a man falling down a hole, or a man slipping on a wet floor. You cant mistake it - UNLESS OF COURSE YOU WANT TO SCREAM DISCRIMINATION AND MAKE A QUICK DOLLAR off the "im an immigrant you have to cater for my special needs" card..

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Well if that's your opinion try to get a law passed that adopts english as our official language, until then there isn't one so live with it

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
reply to post by guohua

No politics needed. It's up to the employer to provide a safe working environment. It's part of 'due diligence' which is an integral part of their insurance coverage. They screw up - they become liable.

What wont they do again..have the balls to put a sign only in English or be stupid enough to hire immigrants who don't speak English ??"
edit on 10-5-2013 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

If it isn't mandated by the gov and the companies are not forced, but have a choice whether or not to print signs in foreign languages, they haven't done anything wrong have they?

No, not in this case, in this case it is a workers safety issue.

Whether you speak English or not, you are still entitled a safe work place in this country. We don't deny rights based on language, although it sounds like some would like to...which is just ignorant.

How did the worker get a job where her language, and allegedly the only one she understands, isn't catered for?
think the worker is telling porkies, and can understand English. Just my opinion.

That is an issue the organization needs to answer for you.

Speculating is fun, it's not productive or logical...but it is fun, I guess, for some people. It is after all a way for you to keep your world view dispite contrary information being presented to you.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
If this woman is a legal US citizen, before they make it official dont immigrants have to pass a written and spoken English exam to qualify ??..

2nd line

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by suz62
reply to post by Todzer

Fourteen years?! Now you're just trolling.

Afraid not

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by neo96

The US constitution, and the Declaration of Independence the only language those are written in is english.

Not true - it's quite simple to find both those documents in Spanish. These are from American universities. I bet I could find them somewhere on usgov.org as well.

pdba.georgetown.edu...

chnm.gmu.edu...

I couldn't agree more. It's suspicious the signs weren't posted in spanish.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1972

...that doesn't have any language as it's first. Why does a multilingual society bother anyone? I don't get it.

It bothers people when certain ethnics / immigrants use their status as ethnics / immigrants to earn a quick buck...

In Spain theres

Morrocans
English
French
Russians
Rumanians
Senegalese
Chinese
Italians
Germans
Dutch
North Africans

Etc, etc,etc, etc etc,

Nobody, i mean, NOBODY, plays this game with the Spanish Justice system because they know it wont work.

This is disgusting.

If these people wish to work in a society that gives them an oportunidad to live a better life, then at least have the common decency to at least try to learn the language, be it the oficial or not.

I hate immigrants who enter a foreign country and immediately think that the whole country MUST adapt themselves to their way of life.

I AM AN IMMIGRANT.

In Spain theres thousands upon thousands of English, yet i didn't and dont expect the Spanish to put everything in English just because were here.

To the contrary, i learnt Castillian Spanish, the official language, i learnt Catalán, the local dialect.

I integrated myself to the society thats given me my home for a decade and a half.

It's a completely different situation in Spain.

You fail by leaving out that one of Americas territories use Spanish as their official language, and that's Puerto Rico. You leave out that many areas in states from New York, Florida, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California, and Illinois are home to a minority-majority, Hispanics.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
To those that say that if I want to speek Spanish I should go to Mexico. Here in the land of the free, I am free to speak what ever language I choose. Furthermore, there is a state that is officially bilingual, Spanish being the second official language. So you can forget about making English the official language of the United States.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
reply to post by guohua

What wont they do again..have the balls to put a sign only in English or be stupid enough to hire immigrants who don't speak English ??"
Hey...Don't ask me - ask their insurance company or legal staff. But in my world, there is a middle ground where you explain what those signs mean if you hire those who can't speak the language.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

So your problem isn't with language it's with what you perceive as opportunistic behavior.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by borracho
To those that say that if I want to speek Spanish I should go to Mexico. Here in the land of the free, I am free to speak what ever language I choose. Furthermore, there is a state that is officially bilingual, Spanish being the second official language. So you can forget about making English the official language of the United States.

Ok, can we say English is the first/primary official language of the United States? Or is there another first official language in the state which Spanish is officially second to?

Just asking, since you haven't clarified.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by FidelityMusic

In Spain theres

Morrocans
English
French
Russians
Rumanians
Senegalese
Chinese
Italians
Germans
Dutch
North Africans

Etc, etc,etc, etc etc,

This is disgusting.

I AM AN IMMIGRANT.

It's a completely different situation in Spain.

You fail by leaving out that one of Americas territories use Spanish as their official language, and that's Puerto Rico. You leave out that many areas in states from New York, Florida, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California, and Illinois are home to a minority-majority, Hispanics.

They aren't in Spain. They ARE in the United States of America. AND why are some posters in multi-lingual while others are not? Makes one wonder!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Well if that's your opinion try to get a law passed that adopts english as our official language, until then there isn't one so live with it

Like I stated, it’s already a requirement for citizenship though obviously that doesn’t affect illegals that skirt our laws.

Basic Understanding of English Required
To qualify for U.S. citizenship, applicants must demonstrate a basic understanding of English, including an ability to read, write, and speak the language. They must also be able to show that they know the fundamentals of U.S. history and government.
source

More importantly, it’s about respect for this country.

They can either have respect for our country or they can turn the hell around and go back home!

edit on 10-5-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
for all those that say the company didn't have to hire these spanish speaking people, what would you say if they got sued for discrimination, for not hiring hispanic workers, that don't speak english.

Impossible, actually. A disinterest in learning English isn't a disability nor is it a protected handicap. Even in the most liberal of states, any employer can make English proficiency a requisite for employment.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by borracho

Double

edit on 10-5-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join