It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 64
<< 61  62  63    65  66  67 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Just showed a live shot...

www.nasa.gov...

Edit to add... "Swing and a miss!".

edit on 15-2-2013 by intrptr because: additional...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
reply to post by Creep Thumper

No it should not, the exsplosion shapes the hole not the angle or shape of object.

Good Point.
One glance at the moon at night reveals many perfectly round craters.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jacobe001

Originally posted by Mianeye
reply to post by Creep Thumper

No it should not, the exsplosion shapes the hole not the angle or shape of object.

Good Point.
One glance at the moon at night reveals many perfectly round craters.

I'll take that. I'm wrong.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Human_Alien

We are NOT in any major meteor shower.

Most fireballs are not associated with any major meteor showers. They are random events.

A fireball is colloquially referred to as a meteor.
Just like, Falling stars, shooting stars and twinkle twinkle little star.

Well...as crazy as it might sound....WHAT IF...those "falling stars" referred to, in the BIBLE, were actually satellites falling from space? How much "space junk" is up there? Isn't there a "theory" that "WHAT GOES UP....MUST COME DOWN"????
Imagine that.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Quite right winofiend (and eriktheawful).

This is in no way related to DA14. The orbit of DA14 is well known, and from the numerous videos of the Russian we also have a usable rough orbit for this object. We know that DA14 (and any related fragments which might be traveling with it) would not be able to hit that far north since Russia is on the other side of the part of our Earth from where DA14 and related fragments would hit.

As has been said already, Earth is under constant bombardment from objects like this one, although this one was a little bigger than the objects we usally see hitting the atmosphere.

This object was probably approaching the scale of the 1908 blast over Tunguska (perhaps not quite as big), and it has been estimated that objects of this size/energy range can bn expected on average once in 50-100 years. So we have been overdue a hit from an object like this for a few years at least.

The fact it happened to come now is pure coincidence. If it had hit at the end of the year people would be saying that it was connected with comet ISON. If had hit in a few weeks time people would say it was connected to some other NEO that happened to be pasing at the time. There are NEOs passing us by all the time, and the vast majority do not hit, but every once in a while a relitively small one like this one does hit. Thankfully the small ones don't do too much damage since our atmosphere usually takes most of the impact.

That seems to be the case here, with only relitively minor injuries being reported, caused by the shock wave from the object exploding at altitude. It's not clear yet if any large fragments impacted the ground with great force, but it may not be the case here, although it is a possibility.

By the way, this does seem to have been a reltively small asteroid. Here is preliminary data from resercher Esko Lyytinen which puts the velocity at around 17.3 km/s. Cometary fragments tend to have much higher velocities.

Using mainly the video:
www.youtube.com...
and the weather satellite image, with no real good calibrations, I get a
rough solar system orbit ( the last stage by means of Marco Langbroek
Excel sheet).

( Entry with velocity 17 km/s ( 17.3) from about az. 97 with the slope
of 18 deg. Corresponding (luminous) start heigth (assumed, quite heigh
for the velocity, but considers very big size) 100 km and the end 7+ km.)
a=1.66
e=0.52
q=0.80 AU
aphelion at 2.53 AU
node=326.43 ( J2000.0 )
arg peri=116.0
i=4.05
43.6 days after perihelion
The geocentric radiant is 338, +2
This is only of very general quality and given with (a lot) too many
decimals.

The orbit does not much resemble the 2009 Feb, 16 innish fireball that I
told of yesterday.

According to that solution, the landing site would be not much more than
30 km away from that video recording site. But I do not know the
coordinates of this, except very roughly.
There quite probably are a lot of small fragments fallen down much
earlier along the track, (with possibly a number of bigger ones,
besides the main piece).

Esko

METEOROBS (The Meteor Observing List)

Also of note is the extremely low end-point of the bolide (7km), suggesting nothing impacted the ground with huge force. It may well (as far as I'm aware) be the lowest altitude for a bolide remaining luminmous that has ever been captured by camera!

I'd caution anyone researching this event to be on their guard for misinfo as events like this have a habbit of atracting hoaxers and people who think they know what they are talking about, but don't.

Edit to add: Just one example of the misinmformation out there is that this event is being reffered to as being related to a meteor shower. That is obnviously not the case here. This was a single object (that may have broken up on entry), unlike a meteor shower which what happens when Earth passes through the debris trail of a comet (mostly dust sized particles).

PS. Sory for any typos - I'm away from home and on a PC that doesn't have a spell checker, plus the keybord I'm using has a new DIY cover on it that quite often types multiple letters for every one key that I hit. Will try and fix that later!
edit on 15-2-2013 by FireballStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
RAN is reporting that this was a 10 ton Bolide (bright fireball).

Satellite images here:

­The object was identified as a solitary 10 ton bolide by the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAN). Bolides or bright fireballs are large meteors that explode in the lower atmosphere, and unlike meteorite showers they can be dangerous, scientists explained.

The Chelyabinsk fireball entered the atmosphere moving at a speed of about 20 km/s. The body of several meters in diameter then burst into pieces at the height of 30-50 km above the ground, RAN reported.
rt.com...

Weather sattelite Meteosat 10 has taken an image of the meteriote shortly after entering the atmosphere (Copyright 2013 © EUMETSAT)
edit on 15-2-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

A very large meteor is referred to as a fireball. Small meteors, the common run of the mill variety, are often called shooting stars because they are starlike points of like. A fireball is not a starlike point of light.

But what's your point? All I said was we're not in the peak of any major meteor showers and you start using the word fireball.
Being random events only helps solidify my position that these are most likely related to the asteroids' approach. Two 'fireballs' where one seriously caused damage to people and buildings is NOT a common occurrence. And once again....'coincidence' is just another made-up word for destiny, fate, kismet, karma or serendipity. Or some times in NASA's case......a lie!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ooahn

Ohhhh. Thanks. The person I got it from on twitter said it was a Cuban news site and I have just been checking arbitrarily so I took her word for it. Sorry..

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by theillusion

Most fireballs are not associated with any major meteor showers. They are random events.

Well...as crazy as it might sound....WHAT IF...those "falling stars" referred to, in the BIBLE, were actually satellites falling from space? How much "space junk" is up there? Isn't there a "theory" that "WHAT GOES UP....MUST COME DOWN"????
Imagine that.

As above. So below.

Makes one wonder why the Pope pooped out!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Is it over?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew

A fireball or bolide is a particularly large and bright meteor. Most observed bolides do not coincide with known meteor showers - suggesting that they are caused by general cosmic debris rather than, as with the case of regular meteor showers, smaller debris from the trail of ancient (or more recent) comets.

Yes. Thank you Andy

link   

Then please explain HOW they are related. Don't just say they are, or your gut tells you.

The path of each one is almost 90 degrees apart. Anyone can see that (no, you don't have to depend on NASA for that info).

So please explain HOW they are related.

link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Is it over?

It's on its way out! Yea!

link   
Oh, I see it....

Man it's getting pretty big.

Oh, c$%p. I gotta go. Radio just said it's going to hit. I gotta get away from the coast.
edit on 15-2-2013 by UnderGetty because: (no reason given)

Sorry, couldn't help myself

edit on 15-2-2013 by UnderGetty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

The Asteroid reached its' closest point to us and is on its' way out away from us....quick and painless,lol.
edit on 15-2-2013 by ujustneverknow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Saw a lot of footage on the news earlier... windows shattering, Bright, blinding shots of it racing through the sky... all kinds of CCTV footage from inside buildings and so on.

Very, very cool indeed.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by theillusion

Imagine that.

As above. So below.

Makes one wonder why the Pope pooped out!

It started as a good news coverage thread but now conspiracy theorists have taken over.....i'm out! Njoy your night!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ujustneverknow

CNN still ramping up coverage. They don't even know it passed.

edit on 15-2-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bicent76
what if a satalite knocks the DA-14 off its trajectory? Can that happen? And send it towards Earth?

No. There is absolutely zero chance of this asteroid hitting earth.

By the way, it's passed us now and is on its way.

if that's not good enough for you, then nothing is.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Is it over?

It was over from the begining.

The one thing I didn't like on the coverage was the distance meter.They portrayed it like they were getting it live.

I'm pretty sure they got the distance ,from calculations of where it should have been at a given time. Watch for a revision in the days to come.

new topics

top topics

<< 61  62  63    65  66  67 >>

join