It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 65
<< 62  63  64    66  67  68 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
reply to post by Human_Alien

Then please explain HOW they are related. Don't just say they are, or your gut tells you.

The path of each one is almost 90 degrees apart. Anyone can see that (no, you don't have to depend on NASA for that info).

So please explain HOW they are related.

I've got two theories swirling about in my head.

One is: The asteroid naturally broke apart. Much like comet Elenin did. Face it, we wouldn't know a piece of asteroid from a meteor/fireball streaking the sky anyway! Much to the chagrin of some members here.

Two is my personal favorite
NASA tried to destroy this incoming asteroid with nuclear weaponry and this....(and Cuba) is some of the aftermath.

link   
reply to post by burntheships

I just heard that an astrophysicist said it was to early to determine the the two events were unrelated, btw.

link   
After 60 some pages it sure looks like many of the comments in this thread have reduced the collective IQ of ATS by about 80 points.

Many people aren't even reading previous post, just posting their own stupid input or questions about things that have already been asked or answered.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

Hey fireballstorm, glad you landed here. Always informative... pssst, meteor Jedi is he.

This object was probably approaching the scale of the 1908 blast over Tunguska (perhaps not quite as big), and it has been estimated that objects of this size/energy range can bn expected on average once in 50-100 years. So we have been overdue a hit from an object like this for a few years at least.

That seems to be the case here, with only relatively minor injuries being reported, caused by the shock wave from the object exploding at altitude. It's not clear yet if any large fragments impacted the ground with great force, but it may not be the case here, although it is a possibility.

So... is it conceivable that the damage caused by the Tunguska event was produced by the shockwave of the "breakup"?

link   
To reiterate, the main asteroid has passed the planet already.

Anyone claiming anything otherwise is lying.

link   
reply to post by onthedownlow

(Slightly off topic)
We have satellites with missile carrying/launching capabilities. These missiles can devastate with the same force of a tactical nuke, only without the radiation. Imagine a bunker buster adding the speed of entering our atmosphere from space. [IMHO] We don't need nukes anymore, which is why I believe we are using nuclear arms reduction as a bartering chip to disarm other nations. We don't really need them now that we can pick out individual targets from space.

(Back on Topic)
I believe NASA was aware of this meteor before it entered the atmosphere. They may only be able to track 60% of incoming projectiles OUTSIDE of our satellites, but once that thing came within our satellite net you bet ur a$$ alarms were going off left and right! Did you see the new drone that can monitor a WHOLE CITY from 4 miles away? It has the ability to track every single movement from people to birds and stores all the data! Now imagine a more refined satellite net's ability to detect and track objects.

Would I blame them for not warning anybody? No, I wouldn't. What could they, or anybody else really do for that matter? It would just start a panic or you'd have a bunch of people running around outside just to get a good look. That would just increase the chances of someone actually dying. Also, I believe that shooting it as it's entering the atmosphere would just cause the damage to be spread over a wider area without nullifying the threat. Any thoughts?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ujustneverknow
reply to post by Stormdancer777

The Asteroid reached its' closest point to us and is on its' way out away from us....quick and painless,lol.
edit on 15-2-2013 by ujustneverknow because: (no reason given)

thank goodness

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by wishcraft
You guys should see this!!
Donno what's truly going on, whatever it is, related or not, WTF!

edit on 14-2-2013 by wishcraft because: workin fine now

Really? You are inferring that this happened today by a meteorite in Russia? No you didn't "say" it but you are insinuating that this may in someway be associated with this meteorite, otherwise you would not have added this to this post. Oh how people love drama, if there is none they just create it like America creates money...out of nothing.

This is the flaming crater in Turkmenistan.....also known as Hell's Gate. That this has been there forever..that is gas escaping the earth and has continued to burn for years. You got an awful lot of stars for this deception....good for you.
edit on 15-2-2013 by kcabmi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Right now on Science Friday (NPR) the expert is commenting

on newest data:

15m diameter, 7000 ton (!) for the meteorite that hit central russia.

Its original weight estimate was too low.

Newest estimate: 1/4 the mass of 2012 DA14 that just skirted Earth.

(DA14 stats: It’s estimated to be about 150 feet (45 meters) across with an estimated mass of 130,000 metric tons)

www.sciencefriday.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Is it over?

Well, the fake hoaxer on the nasa channel said that maybe possibly the asteroid will return in 2080 and it might hit the earth then.

damn those lying nasas... Maybe it hit the earth and they're keeping it a secret from us... you know, pope monkey dishwasher.

link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

That was just on science friday on NPR - i caught that too - when he

said "they may not be coincidental"....

link   
So let me get this straight! We have a huge asteroid passing very close to earth today. Coincidently a meteor crashes into Russia, hurting approximately 400 people, creating an EMP, and then according to a very good friend who is scientist, confirmed that one crashed into Cuba today.
They say that its not related to the asteroid?? They say they know everything there is is know about this asteroid, but they didn't see these "meteors" headed straight for earth!! Thats BS!!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I just heard that an astrophysicist said it was to early to determine the the two events were unrelated, btw.

Yea, ...Man ...He said they could have collided before Da14 was discovered in 2012.

Spliting Hairs????
edit on 15-2-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by citizenoftheworld

I said that near 2 hours ago.
damn it..

the thing that kept me up has now departed into the colder reaches of the funny thing we call a solar system...

and so it soon shall be with my mind.. drifting off into what if's and oh my's..

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
To reiterate, the main asteroid has passed the planet already.

Anyone claiming anything otherwise is lying.

Yes, DA14 is 17,200 miles away and heading away from Earth.
So much for that doomsday scenario.

The JPL has their eye on it.

link   

Originally posted by ShadowLink
After 60 some pages it sure looks like many of the comments in this thread have reduced the collective IQ of ATS by about 80 points.

Many people aren't even reading previous post, just posting their own stupid input or questions about things that have already been asked or answered.

Get off your Mensa throne

This event started out by the media emphatically saying the two events (asteroid and meteor) were NOT related only to come across a CBS article later this morning saying -----they probably WERE related.

Believing the media is where the intelligence quotient starts to disintegrate. Not ATS.

link   
reply to post by winofiend

you know, pope monkey dishwasher.

you lost me

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by citizenoftheworld

This is a CONSPIRACY site... You're going to get conspiracy theories within the thread... That's what the site is for. Ignore the posts you don't like. It doesn't make sense for you to be visiting a site about conspiracies if you don't like hearing about them.
On topic, though, I'm glad this thing passed us without incident. Now anyone with any doubt can breathe easier!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty

Yea, ...Man ...He said they could have collided before Da14 was discovered in 2012.

Spliting Hairs????

I didn't hear the whole quote

It is still a strange sequence of events.
edit on 012828p://bFriday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

edit on 012828p://bFriday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by drphilxr

Thanks for the update...

15m diameter, 7000 ton (!) for the meteorite that hit central russia.

Exploded over Russia. Pieces that did hit were crumbs from initial object. Good thing it came in at a shallow angle. If it had been steeper... or straight in even...

WHAM!

I'm gone looking for fragments. They say some are up for sale.

top topics

<< 62  63  64    66  67  68 >>

join