It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 68
<< 65  66  67    69  70  71 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Erm, it all depends on what it was made from. It seems that it was made from iron, which it probably why it exploded. We're talking about something that was around 10 tonnes in weight, coming in at a shallowish angle. Airburst.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Heads up

This is ATS, not a gibbering idiots convention, or the comments section of Youtube.

Stay on topic.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
rt.com...

a little recap for those that dont want read a billion posts....

13 million in damage

1200 injuried..sound like mostly from glass

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
If anything, this proves that you should never be suckered into believing those "UFO flies over major city but it only captured by one guy" videos, because this thing lasted seconds and there are oodles of videos of it.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
If anything, this proves that you should never be suckered into believing those "UFO flies over major city but it only captured by one guy" videos, because this thing lasted seconds and there are oodles of videos of it.

Awesome point.

I hope it is remembered because that is one of the truest things to have been said in this thread in the last 40 pages or so.

Cheers,

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Can someone provide me with a link showing the diagram that has the trajectory of the meteorite and the incoming asteroid. I tried looking for the link again, to no avail. I tried looking in my web browser history and still couldn't locate it. So if someone could locate it for me that would be awesome. Sorting through 70 pages is time consuming. Thanks if you can help me.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

I agree, Russia shot nothing down. This was the shortest window of opportunity to react. The meteor entered the atmosphere at a velocity of 33,000-45,000 MPH! No one on Earth has a missile that can reach such velocity within the atmosphere, let alone be fired quick enough to hit it at an angle or head on.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by signalfire

Well, then you won't get the significance of "throw rocks at them" then.
The term "fiction" doesn't mean there is nothing real about it.

Yea, I get that. But for some reason, most fiction puts me to sleep and nonfiction doesn't, as long as the topic is of interest. I used to think that once I'd read all the nonfiction, science based stuff, I'd switch over to fiction, but there's a neverending, ever increasing amount of the stuff.

Sorry, OT.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
rt.com...

a little recap for those that dont want read a billion posts....

13 million in damage

1200 injuried..sound like mostly from glass

It was a terrifying event, no doubt about that.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew

Why would an asteroid suddenly break up?

And to that I ask: why not?
Was that a serious question? You think we understand the behavioral secrets or composition of space objects? Really?
Good lord man, we don't even know how the Grand Canyon was formed!

And why, if it did, would one part hit the Earth from a different direction hours before the original asteroid passed by on the expected trajectory without incident?

Once again, why not? Maybe there was a CME blast that created solar winds which then took the pieces in different directions! Who knows. Maybe this happened months ago. Or maybe there's more going on out there than we're being told. Again, who knows?

Hey, it could be exactly what they're saying it is and BECAUSE 'they' are saying it, I automatically need to challenge it. That's how I roll

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
There is also secret Russian military base in Ural's. Just to let you know...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Wow, some weird comments on this one.

This asteroid was going in a different direction to the big one passing earth today. They aren't related.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Blades144

I agree, Russia shot nothing down. This was the shortest window of opportunity to react. The meteor entered the atmosphere at a velocity of 33,000-45,000 MPH! No one on Earth has a missile that can reach such velocity within the atmosphere, let alone be fired quick enough to hit it at an angle or head on.

You ever heard of The Shiva Star? The experimental plasma weapon they have been tinkering with for decades? Well, anyway, assuming it works and they have it or technology like it, it would have been able to shoot down a meteor traveling at 45k MPH.

Read more...

Shiva Star was also used to develop an experimental weapon known as MARAUDER for the SDI effort between 1989 and 1995. The idea appears to have been to create compact toroids of high-density plasma that would be ejected from the device using a massive magnetic pulse.[2] The plasma projectiles would be shot at a speed expected to be 3000 km/s in 1995 and 10,000 km/s (3% of the speed of light) by 2000.

link   

Apparently dash cams are common there because of corrupt police, how many people do you know with a dash cams, I don't know anybody, and there are no cameras in my backyard, this was broad daylight, they must have cameras everywhere.

link   
Highlights from reporting by rt.com:

This is the second time a meteor has fallen in the Chelyabinsk region of Russia. In June 1949 a meteor called ‘Kunashak’ landed in the area. 20 pieces, with the total weight of 200 kg, were found. One of the segments of the meteor was said by locals to have fallen in Chebarkul lake, the same body of water hit by a piece of Friday's fireball. However, ‘Kunashak’, or its debris, has never been found in the lake.

The fireball that hit Russia’s Urals is the largest rock to strike the planet since 1908, Nature Magazine says. The blast was even more powerful than North Korea’s recent nuclear test, added the UK journal. Unlike the Russian Academy of Science, it estimated that the mass of the fireball was around 40 tons before it entered the atmosphere. Russian scientists put the mass at 10 tons.

The military had nothing to do with the aerial meteorite explosion, the Urals Emergency Ministry said: "Russia's defense ministry took no action connected to the incident. No aircrafts has been registered in the air at the given period of time." Earlier, there were unconfirmed reports that the military had shot down the falling meteorite, shattering it into pieces.

edit on 2/15/2013 by clay2 baraka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Awesome point.

I hope it is remembered because that is one of the truest things to have been said in this thread in the last 40 pages or so.

Cheers,

I'm re-posting it to reinforce the same thing to expose the idiots that exist here. But It's probably the most truest thing said in any post on ATS in the last 4 years.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
It's a nasty event, a 9/11 event but from Nature itself. The warnings given by NASA were way off, at least 30 hours late. There's been no mention of next month's Great Comet due and what, if anything, it will drag into our atmosphere. In fact, this IS a significant event which should be top of the pile displacing horseburger stuff. When you consider that the coming Great Comet event due this November was only just discovered very recently - last September I think - I am forced to ask myself what the # are astrronomers actually doing?? This near impact shows how fragile life is down here. I couldn't give two #s about quasars, bits of stuff grabbed from Mars or how many satellites we have farting about up there. Put research into early detection of cosmic stuff, build protective shields - that's what space exploration should be about.

new topics

top topics

<< 65  66  67    69  70  71 >>

join