It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

December 21, 2012 - The End of the World, or not... **ALL MEMBERS Please Read**

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm hope this doesn't fall too far into the off topic post region. But we could all use a good chuckle now and then...

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Agreed. Not a 2012 believer, but who am I to say that anything isn't possible at any given time? This is great advice for all the ats members that are waiting to gloat.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

Depends on the amount of liquor consumed tonight and tomorrow - but ya', you have a point...

edit on 20-12-2012 by facelift because: add 'tomorrow'

I had to switch to Baileys and Coffee...............

On Topic...

You can never truly take someones "beliefs" away from them.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
What A Day A Difference Makes

Originally posted by Springer
Further, those of you who are still hanging on to the 2012 theory because "the day isn't over yet"...

Well, to be fair, the day really isn't over yet. So to all those skeptics out there, laugh all you want. We'll see who's laughing when we're all DEAD.

But Shirley I jest, and whatever our expectations or beliefs about 12/21/12 may be, the biggest disaster in my book would be if any of us were to feel that we couldn't talk about it on ATS.

We all have our opinions, and none of us is perfect, (except, of course, for me, puny mortals). By necessity, when we disagree, some of us will be right, and some of us will be wrong.

The power of ATS comes from being able to share our opinions, whatever they may be, right or wrong, in an atmosphere of mutual respect and scholarly discussion. As long as we have that, we have what matters most.

So will the world end today?

Ask me tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

So will the world end today?

Ask me tomorrow.

I might not make it, till Tomorrow !

(Consumed LARGE amounts of "beverages", tonight)

Before Im off to bed though, I will give my children their kisses and wish them a better Tomorrow, that's for sure.....

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Not until 11:11 pm GMT supposedly. Not yet.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Well said.

Hope tomorrow-at least Pacific Standard Time-is uneventful.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
...an atmosphere of mutual respect and scholarly discussion....

I think you're reminiscing an ATS era, the good old days as it were. It's sorely missed.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Oooommmy GAAAAWD...
The UUUUURGE...
But wth, im human and in control, i can think, i can make a decission.
So i wont let the urge take control...

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Actually nothing is over until the 22nd but this myan date is supposed to go off at either 11:11 GMT or 11:11 US central time (aprox. Where the center of the myan civilization was)! Though I doubt very much that something serious enough to be constrewed as world ending will happen there is always the next prophecy of doom and gloom! I will be glad when this is over but feel sorry for those that expect this to happen! How insecure and sorryful one must have to be to want something like this to happen. Then there are those expecting the collective unconscience to bring about peace on earth and those that believe Christ is coming to rapture them, destroy the evil ones and rein in a peaceful millenium! I am sorry that these most of all will not come to fruitation! The truth is
we are the only ones we can count on to change the world we live in so that noone will long for doom and gloom! We are the only chance to save humanity from the fate that evil has brought to the world! I do believe one day revolations will be at hand but as prophesized no man knows this date! This is basically how I knew nothing would happen on this prophetic date! Call me crazy but the end will not come until the world is united under the antichrist and peter the roman reins in the seven hilled city! Which i hope does not happen during my short time
here! We are here for such a short time so enjoy what life has to offer and be glad we have more time to experience it! don't let society harden your hearts, live every day as it is our last, Love all, fear none and do good above all else! Love all the world and it will recipricate!
edit on 21-12-2012 by nosacrificenofreedom because: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Cable tv showing Arnold Schwartzenegger's End of Days.. Think the cable networks don't have a creepy sense of humor?
On the minute...

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I just wanted to toss in my two cents, seeing as the word on the street is this is where the party is.

Nice to see so many of you here....

Although, for the record, I am quite sure the world is not ending (well, no more than usual, anyway), a few quotes on the topic may be a propos. If I may:

"Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects."
-Roger Zelazny

"The world dies over and over again, but the skeleton always gets up and walks."
-Henry Miller

"It isn’t necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice — there are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."
Frank Zappa

"i don't believe the world will end, but i believe stones will wear away. so i don't care what you place on my tombstone"
-Darnell Lamont Walker

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world the master calls a butterfly."
-Richard Bach

"Don't worry, Mayans. If you get it wrong, it's not the end of the world".
-Author unknown

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

reply to post by iwilliam

I appreciate your sentiments, but, I must point out that my concerns have absolutely nothing to do with the concepts and theories.

My concerns are solely about how we respond to them here on ATS.

Make sense?

Springer...

Absolutely. And I did understand this, of course, as you made your point clear.

I felt it relevant to mention that the passing of the 21st would not necessarily be the "end of belief" for some of the 2012 crowd, mainly in regard to the following sentiment, which I thought fit in with your main point (the point of this thread)-- and I hoped that perhaps offering this perspective might help further understanding toward the beliefs of some.

Regarding the "2012 = Increased Enlightenment / Spiritual Evolution Crowd" I said:

Regardless of whether you all personally believe this or not, can we at least agree that this is a noble thing to hope for? Sure, maybe some of you find this idea a little naive, or utopian. And given study of history and human nature, I can't blame you. But really, what's so wrong with wanting to believe that humanity is going to change for the better? How is that something worthy of ridicule?

Much of the "told ya so," the ridicule, and in some cases yes, even anger, seem to be directed more toward the "Doom and Gloom" segment of the 2012 followers. However, I have seen some derision and scorn aimed at the Enlightenment crowd as well. Some or many of whom, I should point out, may not be recanting their beliefs come tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Depends on what you mean by "world"..

Something's always dying away to make room for what is novel, and most of the garbage we call modern culture is already dead and dying.

I hope that "world" will come to an end, because it just doesn't honor us, and isn't worthy of who and what we really are and are becoming.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Haha, that inbox message cracked me up!

Here's to another year of ATS and hopefully many more after that!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

Fair enough, and very well stated. I actually share your hope for a more enlightened humanity, I only wish I had some enthusiasm that it would actually come to fruition. Maybe it will...

Springer...

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan
Not until 11:11 pm GMT supposedly. Not yet.

Wait Mayans knew of timezones?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

The "big date" is upon us, depending on your time zone it's already arrived, and it looks as though we humans and planet earth remain.

OK, some will be happy about that (most I hope) but some are going to be confused and embarrassed.

As is the ATS way, we don't act uncivilly toward our fellow members, we don't rub people's faces in their mistakes, we focus on the topic not each other.

It is in that light I am asking every one of us to go easy on the "I told you so" posts, let he among us who has never been wrong stand up and prove it. There's nothing to be gained by being rude about mistaken beliefs, we ALL have them at some point in our lives and a little kindness and understanding from our peers go a long way when we realize it.

PLEASE help the volunteer staff out and abide our TACs by resisting the urge to throw mud, it will be greatly appreciated.

Springer...

Whilst I agree with the general thrust of what you're saying, It is fair to say I don't consider anyone who seriously bought into a ludicrous and baseless prediction about the end of the world as "my peers".

These claims have been made throughout history and been shown to be false more times than i've had hot dinners. That should have served as a warning to those who firmly bought into it.

It is true that claims such as these can be damaging to individuals and society as a whole and are rightfully challenged and ridiculed.

I strongly urge members to consider the true scientific basis for such claims in future - if they cannot be substantiated then common sense would say - defer to past experience - that the claims are baseless and should be treated as such.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
It's now 11:37 PM PST, and it's not for another three hours, and 33 minutes before the planet gets to the actual solstice, so we're not quite there yet..

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
It's now 11:37 PM PST, and it's not for another three hours, and 33 minutes before the planet gets to the actual solstice, so we're not quite there yet..

Exactly what do people expect to happen then and what mechanism will trigger it?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join