It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rodents on Mars!!! The announcement NASA should have made?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
It is unbelievable how narrow-minded some people can be sometimes (or pretty much all the time, in some cases, it would seem)

Some people around here seem to think that calling "hoax" on everything they don't personally understand, or what they imagine they do understand is "denying ignorance" and so they do this, while making fun of anyone who would have an alternative viewpoint (cointelpro tactics, much?) and pat each other on the back for a job well done in "denying ignorance," when really they're wallowing in it and attempting to perpetuate it.

I understand that humans search for form and meaning in the random. We're just wired to do this. However, I find it highly ignorant to say: Well, I've been told x,y,and z about mars, and this fits in with none of it, therefore, this must be something else which I do already know about and understand. Do you not get that if scientists thought like some of you alleged "skeptics" that no discoveries would ever be made? We'd be constantly trying to shove whatever new evidence into our existing paradigm. And that is what many of you do on a daily basis.

"I've been told there is no life on mars and I've been told there is no atmosphere, and I've been told there is nothing but rocks, therefore, anything I see is a rock, and there is no way it's anything else, and anyone who thinks any differently is stupid and deserving of my open ridicule."

Do you not understand how many possibilities you're automatically discounting with this kind of view? I very much doubt it. Some of the possibilities haven't even occured to you, so they could be dismissed or entertained, I would venture. It seems that way from the poor arguments some of you use (those who even bother with arguments, who are the minority).

"There is no air on mars, so there's no way this could be a rodent."

Really, professor? How do you know there is no air on mars? How do you know this isn't some creature with a biology far different than earth creatures, which does not necessitate an oxygen-rich environment? How do you know this picture wasn't taken on Earth somewhere?

I have a feeling some of you could fly to mars yourselves...and even if a giant creature approached you with fangs dripping with acidic saliva, you'd laugh and say "Wow, that rock sure is playing tricks on my eyes," right up until it bit your head off.

Is it a rock? The present pool of publicly available scientific knowledge and reason / logic would indicate this is the most probable reality. But anyone who claims they know, for a fact that this is only a rock are fooling themselves as well as possibly wallowing in ignorance. Assuming you don't have some kind of agenda that dictates you have to convince people of this, you should consider the possibility you're being egoistic and narrow-minded.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
It's a rock. Sorry.

Funny looking rock, with eyes, a nose, and ears, just saying I have never seen a rock that resembled a rodent

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by iwilliam
Do you not get that if scientists thought like some of you alleged "skeptics" that no discoveries would ever be made? We'd be constantly trying to shove whatever new evidence into our existing paradigm.

^^^^^ so very much this. The rest of your post is great too but so VERY much this ^

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
You know why you rarely see any astronomy students with access to high power telescopes perpetuate these insane conspiracy theories on ATS? ...Because they can clearly see for themselves how desolate Mars is. Spectral analysis shows the thin, starving atmosphere cannot sustain a rat...or rodent. At least not in its present state. Perhaps if at one point Mars' atmosphere was as thick and rich in oxygen as ours...perhaps then. But...let's play devil's advocate here. IF there were rodents on Mars...wtf are they eating? Surely, they aren't eating rocks are they? OH NOES...CANNIBAL ROCK RATS!!

And yes, attributing these baseless laughable claims to pareidolia is justified when there's zero evidence to support outrageous claims....other than a photograph that shows...well, rocks.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Do you not understand how many possibilities you're automatically discounting with this kind of view? I very much doubt it. Some of the possibilities haven't even occured to you, so they could be dismissed or entertained, I would venture. It seems that way from the poor arguments some of you use (those who even bother with arguments, who are the minority).

The difference being, that scientists are willing to accept facts, in the face of testable evidence. Here, we have a clear photo of rocks. Couple of rocks have features that resemble things....that's it.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by kobewan69
I like the replyes that some people give like: "The thread was here already, it's a rock". Well the correct way to say it is "the thread already exists, people consider it to be a rock" since none of you are actually NASA scientists who can say without a doubt that it is a rock. I really don't understand why people act like they hold the absolute truth. it can be whatever, a rock, a rat, a lizard, whatever until humans actually go there and pick it up and say: "HEY, IT'S A ROCK!" stop acting all cocky and discuss not impose. this is a place where we, as people like to discuss and we don't really like BDSM where some of you impose your point of view.

Thank you very much.

I don't know what it is and I'm comfortable saying that. All I know is what I see with my own two eyes. I'll draw my own conclusions based on the information presented to me.

Discuss, not impose. I like that.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Unidentified_Objective

Please tell me how this is testable evidence... Our scope is free right now and id love to replicate this "experiment" in my lab.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Really?

This is the best we can do?

Rats..?
FREAKING RATS?

I'm a huge supporter of freedom of thought, so I will defend your right to think this is a rat to the death, but... come on... we have this huuuuuuuuge universe at our disposal and the best we can do is FREAKING RATS on FREAKING MARS? In the wasteland shanty town of the solar system?

Even the thought of flipper swimming in Titan seems more plausible...

But who knows? Maybe god IS a stoner afterall...

Cheers.

PS: An image alone, with no context and no additional data is NOT proof. It just isn't.
Don't trust your eyes more than your common sense, people.
Be good.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by eluzhun

Please tell me how this is testable evidence... Our scope is free right now and id love to replicate this "experiment" in my lab.

Kindly make your way to the nearest Astronomy Department at your local University. Then ask to look at spectral analysis of Mars' atmosphere and surface to date. You'll be flooded with lots of data and if they rent out their equipment, you can verify the information. That of course, has nothing to do with what this thread is presenting, which is a photo of rocks.

NASA is taking samples of the soil, to find if there are any traces of organic material under the visible surface that other equipment has not detected. There's no conspiracy. And unless you have anything other than a photo or rocks...claiming they are "rodents" without any evidence to support that, is nothing less than ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by drakus

PS: An image alone, with no context and no additional data is NOT proof. It just isn't.
Don't trust your eyes more than your common sense, people.
Be good.

Hammer. Nail. Head.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

moving the goal post. i explicitly stated that i believe this is "further" evidence that the rover is on earth, not once did i say there are rodents on mars. didn't answer my question at all however, because this is not an example of testable evidence, which you seem to laud so greatly yet strangely are not able to distinguish from the circumstantial version. Weird.

It's a photo of something that looks like a rat. The most logical conclusion is that the photo was taken on earth. Claiming it "proves" anything more takes blind faith, which skeptics seems to have in abundance these days. Thinking is hard.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unidentified_Objective

The difference being, that scientists are willing to accept facts, in the face of testable evidence. Here, we have a clear photo of rocks. Couple of rocks have features that resemble things....that's it.
would these be the same scientist that promote man made global warming?. most science is only based on theories, presented with a few fancy words and some cool sounding hi tech equipment. those not in the "know" , have no way to tell if what they are told is fact , speculation or just good old fashioned make believe. while i personally think that it is just a rock as opposed to a rat, there is no solid evidence one way or the other. and what is so wrong with people believing its a rat ? . some like to think outside of the box .

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Thats a rock...

and this is a sea lion:

and Optimus Prime:

And taking an even further step back...lets say hypothetically NASA did capture a picture of a rodent species surviving in such a hostile climate, thus proving everything we know about species, ecosystems, life ect. wrong...I'm sure that image would end up on Google images...right? /sarcasm

If such a picture exists, I wont see it, you wont see it. Right now were stuck drilling for bacteria up there...

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Chris

Okay I am still doing some research on the pictures you supplied..
By now I am personally 100% convinced its NOT a rock

So two options left

Either its a made up hoax or a unknown lifeform

Here is some of the work I done on the picture, I only enhanced the colors and added some contrast, I don´t believe this all consuming orange glow in the picture is how it really looks like..

it comes out somewhat more clear

edit on 5-12-2012 by Spacespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsawWHATtheyDID

would these be the same scientist that promote man made global warming?. most science is only based on theories, presented with a few fancy words and some cool sounding hi tech equipment. those not in the "know" , have no way to tell if what they are told is fact , speculation or just good old fashioned make believe. while i personally think that it is just a rock as opposed to a rat, there is no solid evidence one way or the other. and what is so wrong with people believing its a rat ? . some like to think outside of the box .

Science is not about belief...it is about knowledge and understanding facts. Climate change is real, and even though it has and will be exploited by politicians, it can be observed and measured. Its happening, brother. Like it or not, its here. That is not to say that it won't get used politically. It has and it will....but, seeing as how the impact of climate change is negative, I really don't see why anyone would NOT want to take precautions. After all, we're stuck on this rock. I for one, don't want to breath the # some of the large corporations are pumping into the atmosphere, do you?

That aside, the beauty of science is that belief means nothing....evidence and a testable theory is everything. In cases where the theory cannot be tested and all you have is your hypothesis, your theory can be reviewed and scrutinized by the world....and hat's perfectly acceptable.
edit on 5-12-2012 by Unidentified_Objective because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
If people want to believe that's a Rodent, then the following in this image are true and cannot be dis proven.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Chris

Originally posted by Just Chris
Today whilst ATS was down for a short while (not sure why?)

I don't know... ATS must be some evil NASA minions whose job is to turn ATS offline, so that the NASA info doesn't reach you... Your post is so stupid, that I cannot even describe it. You see, in other threads I am called a believer, why? Because I do know when something is possible based on the inconclusive data (possible but not a fact), all I am doing is being OBJECTIVE.

And just like I know some may be hiding some info, showing some rock and saying it is a rat, showing some rock looking like a Big Foot or Mermaid - must be it... I cannot even describe the foolishness of such thinking.

And some people clearly lack intelligence, there is no explanation to see every thing on a PICTURE even a cloud may make various shapes and say it is a UFO...

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
edit on 5-12-2012 by Imtor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plan2exist18
Thats a rock...

and this is a sea lion:

and Optimus Prime:

And taking an even further step back...lets say hypothetically NASA did capture a picture of a rodent species surviving in such a hostile climate, thus proving everything we know about species, ecosystems, life ect. wrong...I'm sure that image would end up on Google images...right? /sarcasm

If such a picture exists, I wont see it, you wont see it. Right now were stuck drilling for bacteria up there...

Your response is logical, but.....

That sure looks like a rat! Not sure what it smells like.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join