It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Perfect Storm

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Yep, the site has now crashed entirely from the load.

Looks like msm is sticking with the reports that two crew members are indeed missing.

As far as what's going on elsewhere, I think the scary part is that the storm isn't even there yet!, and its already "as bad" or "worse" than many people have experienced before. They've upped the potential damage reports to $45,000,000,000 dollars.
edit on 29-10-2012 by SilverWraith because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SilverWraith

Folks winds are gusting 40 mph here up in nj nyc area, trees are swaying, few small.branches are breaking, worst is yet to.come around 6 pm when hurricane force winds come in play, so far there is no major flooding issue iblan bec rain is not a problem. The coastal areas should watch out extreme.flooding 6- 12 ft of waves. For north jersey and nyc its gona be a wind storm, but remeber winds can cause a major damage. Will update at 6 pm . Tqke care

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

He shouldn't be in danger, but he will probably be affected to some extent. When the National Weather Service predicts huge waves in Lake Michigan, you're pretty much going to get affected if you're north of the Mason-Dixon line and east of the Mississippi!

edit on 10-29-2012 by Valhall because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
The Weather Channel tweeted this a few mins ago:

@twc_hurricane
Air Force recon is making another pass thru the eye of #Sandy. Extrapolated pressure is 940.4mb but earlier extrap. #s have been too low.
twitter.com

Looks like that is not a direct pressure reading, but it is still alarming.

Is it possible this storm could be worse then predicted? I hope not because some are still just treating it like a "thunder storm" because of the Cat 1 label.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
reply to post by khimbar

He shouldn't be in danger, but he will probably be affected to some extent. When the National Weather Service predicts huge waves in Lake Michigan, you're pretty much going to get affected if you're north of the Mason-Dixon line and east of the Mississippi!

edit on 10-29-2012 by Valhall because: (no reason given)

Thank you. I admit my knowledge of American geography isn't as good as it could be!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Right on that is what makes danger to life more real for me, people think that this has to do with the hurricane force winds when it has to do with tidal surge which is night and day.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Exactly...unforunately, she's getting stronger.

[Update 10:42 a.m. ET] Hurricane Sandy intensified on Monday morning, the National Hurricane Center said. Maximum sustained winds have increased to 90 mph with gusts to 115 mph.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Still gaining strength...

www.wunderground.com...

according to their 11AM posted a bit early since it's 7 mins til 11AM as I post this..

edit on Mon, 29 Oct 2012 09:55:07 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: add link

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Apparently Sandy wishes to spare nobody.
Forecasters predict she'll loop around and come over to the maritimes.

www.cbc.ca...

Time to be prepared.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Wilmington DE .... power went out and came back on. Still non stop rain. Wind is picking up more. It's COLD. I can't tell you guys how strange this hurricane is ... I've been in probably a dozen hurricanes, tropical storms and typhoons. NONE of them felt this cold and dank. This is more like a winter storm but with cold raw rain instead of snow. It's really strange. Got all day and all night left of this to go.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Right on that is what makes danger to life more real for me, people think that this has to do with the hurricane force winds when it has to do with tidal surge which is night and day.

And event duration. Hurricanes will normally blow thru in 12-18 hours. The winds, rain and surge is going to last for 24-36 hours. That is a huge difference.

Places in New Jersey are already flooding, with the wind blowing from the north!! Once the storm gets closer those winds will be blowing from the south and really driving the water in. It is hard to imagine.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Holland tunnel and Brooklyn Battery Tunnel .. closing 2PM EDT..

reported on the Weather channel...

posting for any of our friends in the NYC area in case they plan on using them..

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Please be safe my dear friend.
If you need the cavalry I guess I can steal a horse and head that way. *hugs*

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Most important point I think you could have made and that antar was alluding to as well. People are NOT getting this. Not only do you have this tremendous surge that has already flooded areas WAY before this storm is even near them (i.e. the center that is), but you are going to have days...not hours...of heavy rain/snow. Now, add in to that she is strengthening. The dwelling you are in has to take massive winds for HOURS AND HOURS.

This is not trivial. Not at all.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
If you need the cavalry I guess I can steal a horse and head that way.

Considering the amount of water around here, you'd best make that a SEA HORSE.

MAN IT'S COLD! It FEELS colder than the 50 degrees that the temp says ...
This isn't how anything tropical should be acting .... and the cold is right down to the bones ...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Just had a scroll that the Delaware Memorial Bridge is expected to close ...
Wouldn't surprise me if the Ben Franklin, Betsy Ross and Cmdr Barry followed.
Between that and what is going on in NYC with tunnels/bridges - New Jersey is getting cut off.
Also .. it's illegal to be on the roads here in Delaware right now.
(you'd be crazy to be out in this anyways)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Yeah,that cold is because of high humidity,like they always say 'It ain't the heat,it's the humidity",it works the same way for cold weather.

I lived in florida for a time,right on the east coast.It got cold there too,cuz it was humid.

I liked it cuz the cold only came around for about 2 or 3 weeks a year

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Heads up for the folks along the Great Lakes!

Hurricane Sandy's Great Lakes effect: High waves

Severe weather bearing down on the Eastern Seaboard could lead to waves as high as 33 feet on parts of Lake Michigan and dangerous conditions on other Great Lakes.

The National Weather Service has issued Great Lakes gale and storm warnings in effect through Wednesday, Oct. 31. It says waves on Lake Michigan could be 10 to 18 feet by Monday afternoon and then build to 20 to 33 feet on Tuesday before subsiding. Waves on parts of Lake Superior and Lake Huron could top 20 feet.

Dangerous conditions are expected along piers and breakwalls in areas including southwestern Michigan. Snow linked to the storm could fall in parts of Michigan.
www.twincities.com

If you live along the Great Lakes, keep a check on weather alerts.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

That's unbelievable.

Meanwhile...The National Weather Service is reporting 24-foot seas off New Jersey.

sustained winds in that area are approaching 50 mph.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I wonder why there was an update at 0800 then again at 1100 but the next update will not be until 1700?
It looks pretty obvious that the storm is getting stronger....why wait another 6 hours to do another fly over?
Seems strange they pump it up and as it is getting stronger and closer they have updates less often.
edit on 29-10-2012 by planefixer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join