It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Perfect Storm

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
reply to post by Phoenix

Eye is definitely back..

www.ssd.noaa.gov...

That is the most impressive image I have seen, of the many impressive images. It really shows the power of the intersecting storm systems.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I haven't seen all the posts, but AFAIK this one hasn't been posted. Lots of pictures of current flooding, etc.

www.accuweather.com...

Be safe everyone!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Pier in Ocean City, MD destroyed and the city is seeing "substantial" flooding.

116,000 customers without power.

There are several areas that the water is already 5.2 feet above predicted tidal levels.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The folks on the WC were just going over the storm, and called it hurricane force, with a defined core..

the last 11AM update stated 18mph speed of movement, and the commentators said that they are leaning towards the storm movement now appears to be in the 25mph range.. making the possibility of landfall in mid afternoon rather than late afternoon/early evening...

just a heads up for those in the path..

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Seems like the wind speeds are picking up a bit faster or ahead of this storm as well right?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Yep. They are saying it is moving faster, it's stronger at the center and is now expected to make land fall around 5-6pm this evening.

This storm keeps evolving.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

high tide scheduled for 8pm in the target area.. anyone know if the sped up landfall 5-6pm, increases or decreases the tidal damage potential?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Surge damage is worse if it comes in concurrently with high tide.

With the storm speeding up, and potential landfall coming in ahead of high tide, this will lessen the impact of any surge damage.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

It could help. I mean if the backside of the storm is pushing away from the shore, then it would decrease the high tide effect. Of course, that's for locations where the backside effect of the storm works to their advantage! For southern and western facing locations....it could make it worse.

I think all in all it's a draw...some places get a bit of relief, others don't. Conservation of mass....there's so much water there, it's got to go somewhere!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
In Eastern PA, right on the border of NJ and PA, and it's just raining right now. Winds are picking up just a bit. We'll see how this plays out.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Thanks for the clarification you two

While it's a bit of good news, all in all, it's still a very serious situation..

I'll be happy once the core hits land and is out of the gulf stream...

Feeling very lucky so far here in the valley... pretty much steady mild rain with slight breeze since last night, the worst expected this evening through tomorrow afternoon..

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
With all the various areas of impact each one has to consider the implications for their location. Breaking it down into regions must be a nightmare for emergency coordinators.

IF YOU FIND YOU ARE NO MORE ABLE TO REMAIN IN PLACE>>>

You can call 211 for help within the next few hours but each area has a window of safety for responders.

Call 211 if you or anyone you see or know needs help to get to a safe place.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
(25) Some good pictures of Sandy.

nation.time.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I just found this:

Some excellent pictures of New York history and storms !

www.newsforage.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
This is just awful. I just heard on CNN that the winds are around 90 mph. It's getting close to a category 2 storm. I'm outside of Columbus Ohio and we've been upgraged to a high wind warning until tomorrow evening at 6:00 pm.

My brother in law works for AEP in WV, the teams they had sent north to help other states have all been called back..... unprecedented.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
2PM data...

www.wunderground.com...

27mph... prressure dropped to 940mb...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myrtales Instinct
This is just awful. I just heard on CNN that the winds are around 90 mph. It's getting close to a category 2 storm. I'm outside of Columbus Ohio and we've been upgraged to a high wind warning until tomorrow evening at 6:00 pm.

My brother in law works for AEP in WV, the teams they had sent north to help other states have all been called back..... unprecedented.

What?

The implications of this? They know how bad it's going to get and won't send them in for fear they won't be able to help and could be injured, etc.
or

That worries me. Lots of friends and folks on the East Coast.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
RED ZONE A Evacuation now, 370,000+ people in that area is this lower Manhattan? I just saw ppl trying to find takeout in that area, lol, New Yorkers are tough.
edit on 29-10-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

Ok found something on zone A:

10 Brooklyn Neighborhoods *or sections thereof* Face Mandatory Evacuation: Coney, Sheepshead Bay, Manhattan Beach, Red Hook, Gowanus, DUMBO, Greenpoint, Greenwood Heights, Sunset Park, Williamsburg

If you live in Brooklyn in Flood Zone A, on the coast, you must evacuate now because of Hurricane Sandy. The evacuation zone includes some whole neighborhoods (Manhattan Beach) and bits and pieces of other 'hoods (DUMBO).

EVACUATION CENTERS BY NEIGHBORHOOD

brooklyn.about.com...
edit on 29-10-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Frankenstorm must be moving faster or something ... the EYE is supposed to go over us at 10:00 pm now instead of 3 AM. Still have power ... (hope it holds). (wilmington DE)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea
I doesn't look promising for the islands Chincotigue and Assatigue

OH POOR PONIES!

Local news (out of Philly) talking about the Nuclear plants all around here.
They (supposedly) should be 'just fine'. But the refineries are in question.
7% of the countries refineries are here and on the river.
And the river is expecting an 8 foot storm surge in addition
to the storm damage. All eyes on the refineries.
(and gas prices in the next few weeks)

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19 >>

join