It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Perfect Storm

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Malcher

You are talking about at the OUTER BANDS of the storm. I believe in New Jersey they are reporting the sustained windspeeds you are noting.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
So according to this article the 17 member crew of the Bounty are in two lifeboats in 40 mph sustained winds and 18 feet waves.

wtkr.com...

Coast Guard still trying to figure out how (more like when) they can rescue them.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Pretty sure the max is 85 right now.

All the links from Google report:

"Hurricane Force wind gusts expected this afternoon and evening ... Winds: east 35 to 45 mph with gusts up to 80 mph ... Higher gusts up to 85 mph possible along south facing ... "

Basically the gusts are anywhere from 75-85, that is what i am reading. I have no other info except google search.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
So according to this article the 17 member crew of the Bounty are in two lifeboats in 40 mph sustained winds and 18 feet waves.

wtkr.com...

Coast Guard still trying to figure out how (more like when) they can rescue them.

Yep, the ship is lost and the crew is trying to row roughly 90 miles into shore...... I imagine the drama far exceeds any box office hit right now. I'm hoping that since the Coast Guard knows where they are, has flown over and made contact with them, that somehow rescue swimmers/helo pilots can help.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
Hurricane Agnes in 72' only had pressure of 977mb at its lowest reading. Agnes caused over 3 billion in damage. I personally saw much of the damage along the Sesquahanna river basin myself. I know all eyes are on coastal areas but many inland valleys and river basins will accentuate flood damage beyond whats normally seen in gulf states.

Agnes
edit on 29-10-2012 by Phoenix because: sp

i mentioned that storm in several threads myself because as you, i saw it live and in person and it still scares the # out of me to this day. i still have, after 40 years, vivid pictures in my mind of people in cars and even houses floating down the river with no way to get help.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Seeing the railroad bridges torn from their piers and thrown 1/4 mile downstream was eye-opening to say the least.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

OK that broke my heart, what a disaster, are there any updates on this rescue event?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Living in SW Ontario, this storm reminds me of Hurricane Hazel (1954) more than any other. Even though Hazel was a cat 4 when it hit land, I suspect this storm will be an equal in damaging floods and a significant threat to life. The wind speeds are nothing like Hazel, but what I do remember well is all the flooding.

Hazel unexpectedly strengthened just prior to landfall. Let's hope that scenario isn't repeated.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SilverWraith

I wonder how close they are to those Cruise ships at sea filled with passengers? they are bound to be closer than 90 miles. What a terrifying situation.

Edit to say that I pray the Captain did not go down with the ship but instead stayed to help forge their way back to land.
edit on 29-10-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I am beginning to wonder if we need to use psychic power to break it up. Usually the do not interfere is the rule but I have seen experiments in thought done and believe it did work in other instances.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar

I wonder how close they are to those Cruise ships at sea filled with passengers? they are bound to be closer than 90 miles. What a terrifying situation.

Edit to say that I pray the Captain did not go down with the ship but instead stayed to help forge their way back to land.
edit on 29-10-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

I went back to the HMS Bounty website and they're updating live now. I was wrong, the ship is not lost, it's upright so far.... AND according to the website the Coast Guard has a Sea Hawk helicopter on the scene now trying to pluckthe crew from the lifeboats.

UPDATED NEWS!!!!!!!! We received a distress call for Bounty at 1830 Sunday evening October 28th that the Ship lost power and the pumps were unable to keep up with the dewatering. At that time we immediately contacted the USCG for assistance. A C130 was sent to there position approximately 90 miles SE of Cape Hatteras. At 0430 Sunday Morning the Captain ordered all hands to abandon ship. There are 17 Crew on board and at this moment all crew are accounted for and are in Life rafts. The first USCG helicopter has reached the ship and is in the process of rescuing them. Bounty is currently still floating upright and intact. We will keep everyone informed as info becomes available.

www.tallshipbounty.org...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

According to this article, the ship went down shortly after they abandoned it. As of 9:15 AT five of the crew had been successfully lifted out of the lifeboats. The brave CG are on the job.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Malcher

Please don't take me wrong on this, because I'm not trying to be snippy and I mean it. But NOAA is stating "maximum SUSTAINED winds of 85 mph" so that's what they are! I mean you can either rely on NOAA's data, or you can rely on Google returns. But I don't know why you'd opt for the second over the official organization that has hurricane chasing planes flying into this big bastard and taking readings.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by Valhall

OK that broke my heart, what a disaster, are there any updates on this rescue event?

According to the Coast Guard the ship is lost, 14 people have been rescued & 2 are possibly missing.

www.witn.com

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

I had not heard 2 were missing. Oh my. There were supposed to be 17 so that would mean that one is still in a lifeboat? This is so sad.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Reports on twitter are that the boardwalk in Atlantic City has broken up and is now floating. (just heard this on the Weather Channel too)

Also the Hudson River has breached its banks. instagram.com

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Well you're just a wealth of joyful news. But seriously, thank you for the updates and please keep them coming. My heart goes out to all people in that area. And there are so many historical locations that get thrown into this mix...it makes it tragic in many different ways.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Having difficulty peeking in on the discussion at the site. Their server is probably not used to the amount of traffic? Thanks for the link.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
reply to post by khimbar

Well having obsessively watched Katrina, Rita, and Ike...I can tell you have never ever ever seen an eye like that. That's massive and extremely well-defined. I'm glad I'm half a continent away from it and I'm praying for those who aren't.

Thank you, that's a lot of persepective on it. I must admit after all the hype of the last one I have become a tad immune and benumbed to the hype they're giving this one.

Maybe it will be bad then. I'm glad I'm the other side of the world, although my brother in law is in Illinois, somewhere. I guess that's far enough away to be safe though?

My best wishes to everyone caught up in it. Stay safe as best you can.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Keep safe and look after those around you.

Good luck.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join