It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ESO set to make astounding disclosure!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

I'd have to agree if it was et then they would say 10
Still an 8 is pretty exciting. Perhaps not star fleet, or wow signals, but a "conservative" 8 sounds coooool

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

Originally posted by thomasjveil
Hello,

I've lurked for a while, and enjoyed reading the wide range of threads on ATS, but this is the one that has prompted me to actually register.

I think tomorrow's announcement will be something fairly big.

Just found this by Lee Billings, a free lance science journalist (don't know if he's legit or not).

twitter.com...

"Looking forward to sharing the great exoplanet news with you all tomorrow when the embargo lifts. It's worth the wait."

@LeeBillings "That sounds portentous. On a scale of 1 (Just Another Exoplanet) to 10 (Earth 2 with intelligent life), how portentous is it?"

"@MarkGStacey I'd conservatively say it's about an 8."

Anyway good to finally speak to you all

If the Tweets are legit, I would have to think a "10" would be:

A) There's a alien version of Star Fleet, and they're on their way here to make contact.

or

B) They detected signals from a planet, and it's a video showing their War Fleet on it's way to Earth to kick our butts.

A "conservative 8" makes me think it more likely might be:

A) They've found a planet that's not too big, in the green zone, and spectrum analysis shows not only water, but things like methane, suggesting possible life like here on our planet.

or

B) Same as above, but they also detected things like carbon monoxide and other pollutants in abundance, suggesting intelligent industrial life.

Volcanic activity spew more Co2 than any intelligent life on this planet so I think gauging Co2 would be a poor indicator of intelligent life as we've seen one of our closest neighbors (Mars) to one have active volcanoes on it's surface.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by texasgirl
They're sitting on something huge? Wow!! I REALLY REALLY hope it's a disclosure. That would be fantastic! I want to be 'wowed' and not disappointed!

Well, let me clarify my statement by saying what I think would be "huge" news may to others be kind of, "Meh."

I think Erik has described the situation perfectly in the post above. So an announcement tomorrow along the lines of, "We've found a system with all the characteristics we associate with life, planet in the right place, a nice big gas giant further out to hoover up most of the nasty debris and our spectroscopy is showing the planet MAY have liquid water etc," then to me, that is "huge."

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by PW229

They're sitting on something huge? Wow!! I REALLY REALLY hope it's a disclosure. That would be fantastic! I want to be 'wowed' and not disappointed!

Well, let me clarify my statement by saying what I think would be "huge" news may to others be kind of, "Meh."

I think Erik has described the situation perfectly in the post above. So an announcement tomorrow along the lines of, "We've found a system with all the characteristics we associate with life, planet in the right place, a nice big gas giant further out to hoover up most of the nasty debris and our spectroscopy is showing the planet MAY have liquid water etc," then to me, that is "huge."

That works for me, too. I can actually not get laughed at if when I say 'I believe we are not alone'. Thanks! ;-)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
FTR if we find a target within 20ly and they have an atmospheric EM presence we will be able to VLBI disruption patterns with current radio scopes. If we want more then a squiggle, or they atarget is farther away, we would HAVE to have more spread (space) to lower the arc resolution to get a usable feed.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I'll be at work when the "disclosure" happens, so I'm posting to track this story.
2end _________________

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
If they are intelligent life forms on this planet... I hope they can help us save our own Earth.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Ok calm down... Nothing major. New planet, or new system, no aliens like always.

I guarantee it.

Stop setting yourselves up for disappointment.

mmmkay

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Is there any chance this is just another look at me,, give us funding,, publicity stunt?

most important astronomical event in the decade? Just spitting in the face of mars curiosity...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
ESO Representative:

"The search is over people of the world, I can sit here, as a satisfied member of this civilization and say with absolutely certainty, we've done it. After searching long and hard, we can now finally rest assured that we have in fact, found the answer to all of your questions. We found Jimmy Hoffa"

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I am hoping for a full on disclosure but I highly doubt it. I'm not even going to get my hopes up for something big because when it turns out to be something insignificant to us regular people I won't be disappointed.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logicalist
Ok calm down... Nothing major. New planet, or new system, no aliens like always.

I guarantee it.

mmmkay

Honestly, that would be a 10 out of 10 event for me. Finding and validating a habitable planet is just as big to me as alien life as what finding such a planet in our insanely limited sight changes the odd of alien life exponentially. It would also bolster another space race, imho.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bearack
Volcanic activity spew more Co2 than any intelligent life on this planet so I think gauging Co2 would be a poor indicator of intelligent life as we've seen one of our closest neighbors (Mars) to one have active volcanoes on it's surface.

I didn't say "Co2" or Carbon Dioxide.

I said "Carbon Monoxide"

That also can be produced by volcanic activity, but can be more from man made objects (cars, buses, etc). Take a look at the chart on the wiki article.

Oh, and also I said: "could suggest". Note those 2 words, which means speculation, not proof of such.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

That works for me, too. I can actually not get laughed at if when I say 'I believe we are not alone'. Thanks! ;-)

Might want to remind the people laughing that it is now THEY who are in the minority and members of the "fringe sciences." Thinking "We are not alone," is mainstream now, you'd have to be utterly deluded or a religious zealot to believe otherwise!

My desktop is a picture from the Hubble Deep Field image taken in 1996 and I frequently gaze at that image and imagine that I may be looking at millions, maybe billions of civilisations that have existed through the aeons of time and I take solace from that. Whoa, got a bit psychological there

So, those that laugh at your beliefs... laugh back at their ignorance. Tomorrow's announcement will be another one of the baby steps humanity takes towards the ultimate discovery... We are not alone.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi

Is there any chance this is just another look at me,, give us funding,, publicity stunt?

most important astronomical event in the decade? Just spitting in the face of mars curiosity...

Oddly, there hasn't been allot done with Curiosity yet, The recent weather readings are pretty awesome however.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I guarantee it.

mmmkay

created an account just to ruin our excitement eh??? shame on you@!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bearack

I didn't say "Co2" or Carbon Dioxide.

I said "Carbon Monoxide"

That also can be produced by volcanic activity, but can be more from man made objects (cars, buses, etc). Take a look at the chart on the wiki article.

Oh, and also I said: "could suggest". Note those 2 words, which means speculation, not proof of such.

pardon I meant to say CO. But regardless, CO is a byproduct of volcanic activity.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by steve95988

I guarantee it.

mmmkay

created an account just to ruin our excitement eh??? shame on you@!

lol I don't mean to ruin anyones excitement. Just preparing y'all for disappointment.
Big announcements are hyped up a lot. So yeah.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by PW229

Might want to remind the people laughing that it is now THEY who are in the minority and members of the "fringe sciences." Thinking "We are not alone," is mainstream now, you'd have to be utterly deluded or a religious zealot to believe otherwise!

My desktop is a picture from the Hubble Deep Field image taken in 1996 and I frequently gaze at that image and imagine that I may be looking at millions, maybe billions of civilisations that have existed through the aeons of time and I take solace from that. Whoa, got a bit psychological there

So, those that laugh at your beliefs... laugh back at their ignorance. Tomorrow's announcement will be another one of the baby steps humanity takes towards the ultimate discovery... We are not alone.

I also have that up as my background! An amazing image is it not???

To think we are alone is a poor thought i must say...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by thomasjveil
Hello,

I've lurked for a while, and enjoyed reading the wide range of threads on ATS, but this is the one that has prompted me to actually register.

I think tomorrow's announcement will be something fairly big.

Just found this by Lee Billings, a free lance science journalist (don't know if he's legit or not).

twitter.com...

"Looking forward to sharing the great exoplanet news with you all tomorrow when the embargo lifts. It's worth the wait."

@LeeBillings "That sounds portentous. On a scale of 1 (Just Another Exoplanet) to 10 (Earth 2 with intelligent life), how portentous is it?"

"@MarkGStacey I'd conservatively say it's about an 8."

Anyway good to finally speak to you all

If the Tweets are legit, I would have to think a "10" would be:

A) There's a alien version of Star Fleet, and they're on their way here to make contact.

or

B) They detected signals from a planet, and it's a video showing their War Fleet on it's way to Earth to kick our butts.

A "conservative 8" makes me think it more likely might be:

A) They've found a planet that's not too big, in the green zone, and spectrum analysis shows not only water, but things like methane, suggesting possible life like here on our planet.

or

B) Same as above, but they also detected things like carbon monoxide and other pollutants in abundance, suggesting intelligent industrial life.

That's just my humble opinion.

In all likely hood, it could just be a "conservative 8" simply means, it's something very exciting for the scientific community, but doesn't mean much for the average person walking down the street.

Just to clarify my own position, I don't think this announcement will have anything to do with the detection of life, intelligent or otherwise.

I think it will relate to what others on this thread have already postulated: an earth-like planet with a similar atmospheric makeup and within a habitable distance from its star. That's if all the hype that has been generated is justified.

However I personally think that IS really exciting - an 8 on my scale as well

Also kudos to the OP for flagging the news, and standing their ground when accused of plagiarism

edit on 16-10-2012 by thomasjveil because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join