It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ESO set to make astounding disclosure!

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguy
This isn't it is it:
www.cnn.com...

if not, when is the press release supposed to happen?

how does a planet orbit 4 suns?

how do 4 suns orbit each other?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I want to remind people of something: (By the way, this is NOT the current announcement, this is something older...)

Astronomers using ESO’s world-leading exoplanet hunter HARPS have today announced a rich haul of more than 50 new exoplanets, including 16 super-Earths, one of which orbits at the edge of the habitable zone of its star. By studying the properties of all the HARPS planets found so far, the team has found that about 40% of stars similar to the Sun have at least one planet lighter than Saturn.

We already have TONS of "Earth-like" exoplanets www.astrobio.net... So....the discovery of one more (even if Earth-like) would really not be "remarkable".

This artist’s impression shows the planet orbiting the Sun-like star HD 85512 in the southern constellation of Vela (The Sail). This planet is one of sixteen super-Earths discovered by the HARPS instrument on the 3.6-metre telescope at ESO’s La Silla Observatory. This planet is about 3.6 times as massive as the Earth and lies at the edge of the habitable zone around the star, where liquid water, and perhaps even life, could potentially exist. Credit: ESO/M. Kornmesser

Furthermore, latest research came up with a number of on average 1.6 planets for EACH sun-like star, ok, not all of them might be Earth-like or in the habitable zone even, but would still make billions just in our galaxy alone.
edit on 16-10-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi

This isn't it is it:
www.cnn.com...

It's a binary system within another binary system.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I'm keeping an open mind, and I doubt I'll sleep well tonight because a "conservative 8" could easily be a 9 or 10 to me.

The way the information is being released is odd, don't remember a press embargo before with science news.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by UnknownEntity

Any news yet? I saw nothing on the ESO site updated yet...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Not until tomorrow

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Was just on ESO myself. Nothing has changed there. My wife is scheduled for a c-section tomorrow. New baby and a major announcement.

Gonna be one hell of a day.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrustEvery1

Not until tomorrow

Oh surely someone will leak something the press conference is today? That is if it is totally out there crazy! Otherwise...it is not overly astounding!
edit on 16-10-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever

Was just on ESO myself. Nothing has changed there. My wife is scheduled for a c-section tomorrow. New baby and a major announcement.

Good luck! There is a media embargo until tomorrow, but I have to think if it is earth shattering or a game changer it will leak. If not it's just more good science news about more planets being found...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kryton
Even if we find an exact copy of Earth...

What good is it if we can't get there?

Wouldn't these minds be better used for creating a ship to go explore?

Nope! I think they need to find it and know where it is before they can design a ship to get to it.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

You search the web and let us all know what you find

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The online press release was earlier today.
It actually amazes me that this info hasn't leaked yet.

This means that de journalists are all honest people?
Or the information isn't that important as they say?

Fingers crossed, hoping to be blown away, but in all honesty i have to say it'll probably be another dissapointment, number .... i don't know how many now :s

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi

This isn't it is it:
www.cnn.com...

Round & round. LOL

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
I'm keeping an open mind, and I doubt I'll sleep well tonight because a "conservative 8" could easily be a 9 or 10 to me.

The way the information is being released is odd, don't remember a press embargo before with science news.

I think it makes since, they want to get maximum attention. Look how much attention they got for just by announcing there is a embargo. Visits to their website is probably near all time highs.

I already said I think its another planet in the habitable zone. I'm really not expecting anything big.

If it was anything as big as what some think or hope, there is no doubt in my mind it would have been leaked out by now..
edit on 16-10-2012 by Logicalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Might want to rethink your signature if you want to be taken seriously here.

It's been proven to be a scam.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
I want to remind people of something: (By the way, this is NOT the current announcement, this is something older...)

Astronomers using ESO’s world-leading exoplanet hunter HARPS have today announced a rich haul of more than 50 new exoplanets, including 16 super-Earths, one of which orbits at the edge of the habitable zone of its star. By studying the properties of all the HARPS planets found so far, the team has found that about 40% of stars similar to the Sun have at least one planet lighter than Saturn.

We already have TONS of "Earth-like" exoplanets www.astrobio.net... So....the discovery of one more (even if Earth-like) would really not be "remarkable".

This artist’s impression shows the planet orbiting the Sun-like star HD 85512 in the southern constellation of Vela (The Sail). This planet is one of sixteen super-Earths discovered by the HARPS instrument on the 3.6-metre telescope at ESO’s La Silla Observatory. This planet is about 3.6 times as massive as the Earth and lies at the edge of the habitable zone around the star, where liquid water, and perhaps even life, could potentially exist. Credit: ESO/M. Kornmesser

Furthermore, latest research came up with a number of on average 1.6 planets for EACH sun-like star, ok, not all of them might be Earth-like or in the habitable zone even, but would still make billions just in our galaxy alone.

Let's get the facts Jack before jumping to assumptions.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

good luck m8 and in advance, congratulations dad ^^

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

Congratulations!!!! Dont plan on getting too much sleep in the near future. Like maybe you will sleep again sometime in Jan of next year but surely not before then. LOL.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Congrats on the new baby! Life is awesome.
I'm watching this as well; not sure if it will play out to be anything but may. If anything a new life is greater news than anything. Best wishes.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

same here bud. 42 weeks... congrats!

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join