It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ESO set to make astounding disclosure!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+60 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Will we witness true disclosure by ESO this Tuesday, 17th Oct. 2012? That is the buzz in astro-scientist circles today. What is special about this discovery, as yet kept in dark veil, is that on twitter and some email lists (which I follow for asteroid and comet detection news) the topic is focused only on the exoplanet news which ESO will break.

I quote from the ESO website itself: "European astronomers have used facilities at ESO’s La Silla Observatory to discover a remarkable exoplanet. The results will appear online in the journal Nature on 17 October 2012.

ESO will hold an online press conference to announce the results and assess their impact, offering journalists the opportunity to discuss with the scientists. The conference will take place on Tuesday 16 October 2012 at 16:00 CEST."

Focus on the words, 'remarkable exoplanet', 'announce the result and assess their (results') impact'. TPTB in astronomy and astrophysics are extremely tight lipped about this.
I can truly say this much, the media conference shall evoke a shock and awe effect, the likes of which have not been discussed in many many years. Be prepared and listen, watch the web, tweeter feeds, emailing lists and what not, because come tomorrow, we will be floored!

I urge my fello brothers and sisters on ATS to add whatever info you may gather or that which you may already have on this topic here. I am excited, the time has come.

Link: www.eso.org...

+25 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by UnknownEntity

I'm leaning to an announcement that they have discovered a planet with an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere.

Cool, but unless we have warp drive we'll never see it.

Nothing "Earth shattering", no "Aliens exist" proof. Nope, just another planet that may be able to support life.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Even if we find an exact copy of Earth...

What good is it if we can't get there?

Wouldn't these minds be better used for creating a ship to go explore?

+14 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kryton

What good is it if the scumbags that rule this world have another to f up.
The government scum on this planet deserve nothing but extinction.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
What are they going to talk about the discovery of the diamond planet or some other type of planet. I don't see how this will be full disclosure as stated.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Its prolly an earth sized planet in the goldylocks zone with life-indicative carbon signatures!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Isn't it Wednesday the 17th? Either way, let's hope that it's something beyond the useless crap that these people usually come up with.

S&F OP.

Rev

edit on 15/10/2012 by revmoofoo because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

European astronomers have used facilities at ESO’s La Silla Observatory to discover a remarkable exoplanet. The results will appear online in the journal Nature on 17 October 2012.
The wording of this is rather exciting, thanks for the heads up.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I actually have a wager on the table that disclosure happens by the end of the year. So if they do, i get fifty bucks....lmao. so im hoping.

But seriously.....why would they be so tight lipped and excited? Could they?

Several very suspicious discoveries were made in the last few days as well.
edit on 15-10-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
My guess, an oxygen rich atmosphere with signatures that lean towards life.

Until we learn to be the responsible stewards of our own house it is criminal to look elsewhere and for the culprits to contemplate escape plans when this planet is no longer liveable.

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by revmoofoo

What you deem to be 'useless crap' is likely thought of as a huge leap in our understanding of the cosmos by the people working very hard to discover it... Such disrespect

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

is this the news that they have found, what they are describing as a super earth ?, seen that being banded about

Wee Mad

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

It's just my opinion and I'm perfectly entitled to feel that way. Free speech and all that. Thank you for judging me though, it's been a while since someone moralised at me.

Rev

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Now wait a minute, they want juournalists to agree not to publish the material before 19:00CEST on Wednesday 17th? Why is that?

Journalists must clearly state in the email that they agree to honour the embargo and will not publish or discuss the research until after 19:00 (CEST) on Wednesday 17 October 2012

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
It's NIBIRU, NIBIRU is here!!!!

*bounces up and down in chair like a giddy school kid clapping hands wildly* :lol

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by OratoryHeist
It's NIBIRU, NIBIRU is here!!!!

*bounces up and down in chair like a giddy school kid clapping hands wildly* :lol

DAMN YOU!!! I've just spit coffee all over my keyboard because you made me laugh so hard!

Rev

link   

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown
Now wait a minute, they want juournalists to agree not to publish the material before 19:00CEST on Wednesday 17th? Why is that?

Journalists must clearly state in the email that they agree to honour the embargo and will not publish or discuss the research until after 19:00 (CEST) on Wednesday 17 October 2012

Standard procedures. Could mean its big tho. Or not.
www.space.com...

Im sure it will leak before that date if it is exciting.

edit on 15-10-2012 by ubeenhad because: (no reason given)

link   
I am excited. The thought that scientists and astronomers may have found a truly remarkable exoplanet, is exciting enough. I have already read about the Diamond Planet, the real life Tatioonie Planet with two suns in a four star system...Et Al. However, this discovery seems much bigger than all the earlier ones, because:

1) "@cosmos4u: The Wednesday ESO presser "to Announce Major Exoplanet Discovery" will have one of the biggest stories in years. But my lips are sealed ...”
2) “@AAW_Darmstadt: Habitable planet around Alpha Centauri? Barnard's Star, even better: Eta Cas? (one of my favourites)??
Ok, will wait patiently.

3) “@planethunters: We were pretty chuffed. RT @staratlas: @megschwamb Congrats on not just discovering a new world, but such a *cool* new world.”

Just some of the discussion that's happening out there, in the open! But No One is saying what it could be, guess we all have to be patient for another 15 hours...

For me personally, my excitement is because I have followed so many possible habitable exoplanet discoveries...about 3130, with the last 500 coming in just about 15 months. If they have detected a remarkable exoplanet, I sense it would be big news. Even a tiny little hint that life is possible or already thriving in such a planet, would surly be a grand news! And we might be the generation that this news breaks in...!
As I said, I am excited. Lets wait and see what unfolds!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ubeenhad

Thanks.
So we have two scientists who will participate press conference and both of them are involved in search for potentially habitable alien planets. So can we expect they did find habitable planet, since we know there are already exoplanets
edit on 15-10-2012 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I have read the OP and a few comments.

I disagree with the OP, that there will be any disclure that changes anyones views on the world.

I agree with most of the comments, it will be just like every other time, nothing we havvent already seen or known about, or heard about last week etc...

If they actually disclose any information that hasn't been covered before a hundred times, then I will be floored, and havve my world changed, no matter the info, as it would completely shock me if the discloseure wasn't another worthless press conference.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join