It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News - Reuters- Turkey strikes targets inside Syria after mortar attack

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

Hmmm...Cui Bono......you think like an analyst. Any chance their plan will succeed? IMHO somebody is trying very hard to mess things up. I refuse to think it is some frustrated army officer or soldier firing those weapons on Turkey..and vica versa. This comes from the highest levels...maybe a highest levels not originating from Syria or Turkey for that matter.
edit on 3/10/2012 by zatara because: special repair for ATS member

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
NATO does NOT have to respond if Turkey gets into this fight. Turkey has to invoke the clause in the treaty requesting assistance, and then it's up to the member nations how they want to assist. It can be anything from providing security forces inside of Turkey to assist with their internal security, to providing weapons to replace the ones that Turkey will expend, all the way up to providing troops to assist the Turkish forces, and going into Syria.

The quotes about Turkey invoking Article 4 of the NATO treaty were from back in June. They had already been hit several times by Syrian forces by then, and nothing happened after the meeting. Article 4 only invokes consultations between the member nations.

Syria has claimed that Turkey has been sheltering rebel forces within their border for awhile now, so I'm surprised that this hasn't happened a lot more than it has. There have been several incidents that could have led to war a lot sooner than this, that Turkey has looked the other way from. It will depend on what the Allies promise them, whether they are willing to look the other way one more time, and keep this as a low level escalation. But Turkey is more than capable of taking on Syria on their own. They are one of the stronger military forces in the region.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Let me get the usual canned responses out of the way.

"Al-CIAda, Israel and oh and, the Crusades....."

Now, Let's hope cooler heads prevail. So Assad and his henchmen can get back to their internal business...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Now, Let's hope cooler heads prevail. So Assad and his henchmen can get back to their internal business...

I just don't understand how anyone could think Assad would order a cross boarder attack. If he is suicidal, wouldn't he just hand himself over to the "rebels"?

The last thing Assad wants or needs, is a war with Turkey. He has his hands full as it is. Why would he even WANT to provoke Turkey into a conventional war? He'd be finished.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I can appreciate your sarcasm, but this "internal business" has splashed across the border onto the roof of innocent civilians.

I am sure the family of those innocents slain would not agree with your comments.

None the less, Turkey needs to maintain the integreity of its borders and ensure the safety of its citizens.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
I just don't understand how anyone could think Assad would order a cross boarder attack. If he is suicidal, wouldn't he just hand himself over to the "rebels"?

The last thing Assad wants or needs, is a war with Turkey. He has his hands full as it is. Why would he even WANT to provoke Turkey into a conventional war? He'd be finished.

Who said "Assad" ordered the attack?
How do you know it wasn't some trigger happy Syrian officer?

In these situation the term

"Fog of War" should be considered.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph

Who said "Assad" ordered the attack?
How do you know it wasn't some trigger happy Syrian officer?

In these situation the term

"Fog of War" should be considered.

How do you know it wasn't a jihadist from Afghanistan trying to get the Turks involved so they can help the "Free Syrian Army" finish the job?

What I think we can logically conclude is that it wasn't ordered by Assad. He's no angel, but he's not that stupid.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by zatara
This comes from the highest levels...maybe a highest levels not originating from Syria or Turkey for that matter.

As usual, darned moslim rebels and their high placed international friends.
probably el presidente Osama and his zionist comrade Netanyahu.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Noe the Terrorists um! freedom fighters know Turkey will attack.
They um! Syria will drop more mortars on the turkeys.

a great way to dirty fight and destroy Turkey.
must have got the idea from america.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Hmmm...Cui Bono......you think like an analist. Any chance their plan will succeed? IMHO somebody is trying very hard to mess things up. I refuse to think it is some frustrated army officer or soldier firing those weapons on Turkey..and vica versa. This comes from the highest levels...maybe a highest levels not originating from Syria or Turkey for that matter.

The fundemental problem facing those who wish to topple Assad is the lack of trust from thier own populations IMO. The aggressors (imo) have a choice to make, they know they are losing the information war because of thier actions over recent years, they either choose to go ahead without any moral high ground and look like tyrants, or they back down and wait for the next oppotunity.

I guess we will see thier true colors soon. If NATO doesnt take action it maybe construde as being weak in the eyes of some. This is a massive danger for NATO who can't afford to be seen as weak. However, they also have the problem of morality, they have used all thiers up and they know it, they have no moral high ground left.

Thats how i see things going on in the meeting. I guess we will find out thier response soon enough. I would like to be a fly on the wall listening in the NATO meeting thats for sure.
edit on 3-10-2012 by TheMindWar because: Typo

edit on 3-10-2012 by TheMindWar because: Typo

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Turkey should not be in NATO and after their attacks on the Kurds in northern Iraq and now this?

Nah they are on there own there should be no response or actions taken by NATO or the US.

Syria , and Turkey wanna play war with each other let them have at it.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I can't hate on Turkey here. If someone lobbed a mortar over my border and killed people sitting at home eating dinner I would have moved a lot faster than Turkey did.
edit on 3-10-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Hmmm...Cui Bono......you think like an analist. Any chance their plan will succeed? IMHO somebody is trying very hard to mess things up. I refuse to think it is some frustrated army officer or soldier firing those weapons on Turkey..and vica versa. This comes from the highest levels...maybe a highest levels not originating from Syria or Turkey for that matter.

Errr....He thinks like an analist?

Keep the sex outta here....I think you meant analyst...

Sorry, I couldn't resist...had to find some humor in the seriousness of the topic...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

In fog of war...Using that expresion, should there not be an active militairy operation going on and some soldier lose his nerve and starts shooting?

If so the situation must have been very stressful and intens for the one who did attack first. The ones on the receiving end dito...

Because the middle east is a very sensitive place to sent bullets towards a neighbor country these countries must both have novice soldiers and morons guarding their borders and pulling triggers....so to speak. I do not think so. Therefore I am convinced this this was not a "freak" incident caused by a trigger (un)happy soldier.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Nothing profound to contribute, just a question or two. We don't know what is going on, there is a good chance of this dying down after a round of apologies and maybe compensation, and (probably) the US doesn't want to go in right now with anything other than a few supplies and weapons which will end up who knows where..

What should Obama and Clinton be doing? Is our position in the Middle-East strong enough that we can have any significant, non-military impact?

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Al Qaeda wants Assad gone, we all know that. So IMO Al Qaeda did this to get Turkey to help the Syrian rebels take out Assad. A continuation of the "Arab spring".

On a side note: What a perfect opportuniuty for Obama to ask for a recess during tonight's debate so that he can take a phone call with respect to the Turkey-Syria crisis. It will make him look "Presidential"

link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

Had a good laugh myself....happy to have make your day....

sec.line

edit on 3/10/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by zatara

I believe that one of two things happened here. Syria has accused Turkey of sheltering rebels across the border for awhile now. So either Syrian forces chose to shoot at the rebels in Turkey and missed, or the rebels in Syria shot at Turkey, trying to convince them that it was loyalist forces, drawing Turkey into this. The rebels have been known to fake other things, why not this.

link   
Is this the pro "Invade Syria" thread? From Turkey? How would that be any different from what has already transpired? Moving fighters and arms across their border into Syria for a while now.

No, I don't have any pics. If I did, I'd be sharing a cell with Bradley Manning. Lets all over react now. Oh my God. Turkey is (really / not) looking for an (excuse / mandate) to (stand down / invade) its long time (neighbor / enemy) to the South because (they / the US) wants them to (. /?)

This is perfect ratcheting up for further ratcheting up the excuse to heap more hate and discontent on another Middle Eastern country that has done NOTHING.

Shame on the war mongers of the world.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
How long will it take for Iran to respond to Turkey.
Syria and Iran are allies remember.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join