It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News - Reuters- Turkey strikes targets inside Syria after mortar attack

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life

Originally posted by Jepic

Originally posted by Patriotsrevenge

Originally posted by DutchBigBoy
How long will it take for Iran to respond to Turkey.
Syria and Iran are allies remember.

Iran knows Turkey would stomp its turbans in the sand dunes. Iran wont be helping anyone defend jack when its a large Nation state. Then again the looney Arab dictators are suicidal to a point most times.

Turkey would get defeated badly if it had a war against Syria and Iran at the same time. Iran and Syria both know this fact.

I don't think so...

Turkey can take Syria in a week....all they need to do is roll over the border and Assad will run...that's it..game over.

Iran will not attack for a lost cause....they will simply reinforce Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Turkey, if it doe's invade Syria will become a new target for the Jihadi's who aren't affiliated with anyone.

Does Turkey want to burden itself with overseeing Syrian restructuring after the fact...with all its unforeseen consequences ?

C..

I don't think you realise the number of soldiers Assad has right now. They number in the hundreds of thousands. In the event of war those numbers would rise. You are also forgetting the chemical and biological warheads Syria has with means of delivery.

Iran has stated over and over again that they would protect and fight alongside Syria should they get into a war.

It's endgame. NATO can't continue milking the cow without getting into a regional war. We are talking casualties in the range of a day in WW2. We are talking thousands per day. Is NATO willing to commit to that?

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
And as usual, the ATS community kicks off in grandiose style with wild assumptions and "gut feelings" without any basis in evidence, forecasting the start of WW3 because a rocket landed somewhere - and of course it was the CIA, or Mossad, or the rebels... never mind the most plausible scenarios, lets just all jump into assumption mode for the sake of our own argument!

Do you think, perhaps, Turkey might be able to tell the difference between a rebel position and a Syrian government position? People here seem to think Turkey is some kind of idiot when it comes to their military, and I can assure you that they know the difference between the rebels and the Syrian government. They're right next door FFS, they have people going over the border all the time, they will have people in the rebel movement and spies in the Syrian regime too.

And, WW3 will not start because one poxy little dictator throws some stones at a neighbor. It'll take more than this to get a conflict like that going.

Syria is playing a very pushy game right now, and Turkey is absolutely right to defend themselves against an attack. And, whether you like it or not, they are a member of NATO. An attack on one is an attack on all, and all NATO members will now be standing by ready to respond if Assad decides to strike back in response.

I partly hope the little lisping despot does, and I hope NATO goes in there with Turkey and rips the little **** a new one.

I don't care how it's done, Assad needs to be removed.

And before anyone comes in with their pathetic defense of the twisted little freak and his disgusting wife, have some evidence other than YouTube videos, or don't bother at all.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
(CNN) -- Turkey fired on Syrian government targets in response to the shelling of a Turkish border town in which five civilians were killed Wednesday, according to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's office.
The town of Akcakale "was hit by artillery fire belonging to the Syrian regime forces," a statement from Erdogan's office said, in the first clear assertion of blame for the shelling.
"Our armed forces on the border responded immediately to this atrocious attack within the rules of engagement, and points in Syria determined by radar were hit with artillery fire," it said. "Turkey, within the confines of the rules of engagement and international law, will never leave these types of provocations aimed at our national security unanswered."

Well it is small, but that is how wars start...Here we go!

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

NATO has been planning for this for the last ten years.....

NATO has at least 50 major bases around Iran, Turkey is a Super-Base.

C..

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by zatara
But what "beef" has Syria with Turkey again..?

sec.line

A violation of national sovereignty comes to mind...

The death of 5 Turkish citizens by Syrian actions...

Just for starters...

Has Syria claimed responsibility yet?

This is just theoretical speculation but there is always the chance the FSA did this to stir up the pot.

The FSA has way more to gain than Syrian forces from this attack.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Screwed it up
edit on 3-10-2012 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
And as usual, the ATS community kicks off in grandiose style with wild assumptions and "gut feelings" without any basis in evidence, forecasting the start of WW3 because a rocket landed somewhere - and of course it was the CIA, or Mossad, or the rebels... never mind the most plausible scenarios, lets just all jump into assumption mode for the sake of our own argument!

Do you think, perhaps, Turkey might be able to tell the difference between a rebel position and a Syrian government position? People here seem to think Turkey is some kind of idiot when it comes to their military, and I can assure you that they know the difference between the rebels and the Syrian government. They're right next door FFS, they have people going over the border all the time, they will have people in the rebel movement and spies in the Syrian regime too.

And, WW3 will not start because one poxy little dictator throws some stones at a neighbor. It'll take more than this to get a conflict like that going.

Syria is playing a very pushy game right now, and Turkey is absolutely right to defend themselves against an attack. And, whether you like it or not, they are a member of NATO. An attack on one is an attack on all, and all NATO members will now be standing by ready to respond if Assad decides to strike back in response.

I partly hope the little lisping despot does, and I hope NATO goes in there with Turkey and rips the little **** a new one.

And before anyone comes in with their pathetic defense of the twisted little freak and his disgusting wife, have some evidence other than YouTube videos, or don't bother at all.

Would you rather have people who try to see outside the box and fail 9 out of 10 times? or just sit like a sheep, watch the news and believe everything they feed you? Cause if you do wth are you doin in this site in the first place.

Not to mention the fact that mostly all wars had some lie attack behind it for starting it. Cause you cant refuse that truth... So it would be better to try and think other scenarions than the one fed to us via the msm and exchange ideas than saying "you guyz are stupid for not believing what the TV says".
edit on 3-10-2012 by Alda1981 because: typo

link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life
reply to post by Jepic

NATO has been planning for this for the last ten years.....

NATO has at least 50 major bases around Iran, Turkey is a Super-Base.

C..

With the number of missiles Iran has, what will happen to all those US bases?
Iran has state of the art Russian AA systems. What will happen to NATO planes then?

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

We try and make-do with the little information we get from the media. It's exciting to ponder at the different scenarios that could develop.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by zatara
But what "beef" has Syria with Turkey again..?

sec.line

The death of 5 Turkish citizens by Syrian actions...

Just for starters...

Lets just put a little spin on this and see just where all this beef is eh?

The death of 500,thousand and then a lot more of Iraqi citizens by US and Allied actions...

Just for starters...

So now it only takes 5 deaths to start a war now.......Lord help us all....
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

I'm sure that they do know the difference, but using radar, you don't get a super detailed position as to where they shells came from. The rebels could shoot from close to a government position, and it would appear on radar to have come from the gov't position (if the rebels did this, we don't have enough facts to know for sure yet).

But this might have been from government forces, shooting at rebels that were across the border and they missed. As I said, the rebels have lied about other events that have happened during this war, so why wouldn't they try to do something to draw Turkey into the fight? There may very well have been a good reason for gov't forces to shoot into Turkey, but we won't know for certain until a lot more detail comes to light in the next few days.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Iran has state of the art Russian AA systems. What will happen to NATO planes then?

They will use stealth aircraft, and cruise missiles to open a corridor. Not to mention that Iran has a natural way to hide from AAA, by flying Nap Of the Earth, through the valleys, and the mountains, that would allow them to get close to the sites in the mountains. It wouldn't work perfectly, and there would be losses, but they'd be able to open a corridor to get farther into Iran.

Any fight involving Iran will be ugly, and there will be a lot of losses. But the US and their allies have been training to defeat state of the art AAA for years.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Holy False Flag Batman!

Seriously it is so easy to set off a false flag in the region all it would take is to throw a firecracker in the streets and sit back and watch the bombs fly. Sad but true, the inevitable march to large scale war.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

They will use stealth aircraft, and cruise missiles to open a corridor. Not to mention that Iran has a natural way to hide from AAA, by flying Nap Of the Earth, through the valleys, and the mountains, that would allow them to get close to the sites in the mountains. It wouldn't work perfectly, and there would be losses, but they'd be able to open a corridor to get farther into Iran.

Any fight involving Iran will be ugly, and there will be a lot of losses. But the US and their allies have been training to defeat state of the art AAA for years.

No objections. However I still believe too many things can go wrong.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Another news source on this.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

That's combat for you. You plan and train hard, and for every situation you can think of, and then something you didn't think of comes along and bites you in the butt and blows up in your face.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

For the people who think this might have been a provocation by the rebels, please recall how cautious Turkey was after the downing of their recon F-4 and the death of the two aircrew earlier this year.

I do not think this is the start of a larger action, as Assad is stupid like a fox, he would have to be suicidal to respond to the retaliation with more force. My bet, and it is a large one, is that this was a one off response by the Turks who are tired of the whole situation and have now made their willingness to defend their territory very clear. Without further provocation, Turkey will simply remain on high alert, and with no multinational NATO assets deployed to the region, the Alliance will continue to sit on their hands.

Personally, I wish NATO was more willing to get involved, I remember reading the ridiculous argument that they wanted the Syrian rebels to put together a post Assad plan of action and along with a proposal for how the new government would look. Kinda hard to put together a constitution when you are being slaughtered. Sad, just sad that we will watch 20,000 people die for fear of a few lost planes, when Israel took out the Syrian anti aircraft defenses by themselves in 1982.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Syria is not attacking Turkey. I repeat... Syria is not attacking Turkey. If anything the reverse is true. Through covert means Turkey has been moving "humanitarian aid" (weapons) into Syria. Turkey is Nato. Nato is the US.

"Turkey" will only do what the US specifically allows. If shots were fired across the border by Turkey then it was because the US ordered it. And they did that in order to create an incident that further justifies the invasion of Syria. For Humanitarian reasons of course.

Now the US will cry out in the UN (again) for, "Something to be done!" When in fact, the whole time it is the US doing unto Syria.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Big talk! I hope you are willing to jump right in there and kick his lisping @ss yourself, oh wait, that will be other people fighting for your entertainment, right.

I tire of your type spewing hatred and boasting you superiority. You think because you are American that you are removed from conflict. That will change soon due to your type of boisterous a-holes. The world is sick of bullies. A lot of those who are the sickest are your neighbors. A lot of those neighbors have served in a war in the last 20 years in the middle east. They ALL have weapons training.

Make sure you put up a banner on your fence (Or apt in your case) stating your hatred of Libya and their lisping leader and his whore wife. Make sure you run to the recruiters office (Army) and ask to join the troops going to the middle east. If you are not willing to do either of these things you should choose your words more wisely.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by malachi777

Has it been confirmed that is was the Syrian army and not the terrorist rebels running loose in Syria?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join