It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News - Reuters- Turkey strikes targets inside Syria after mortar attack

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Coming across the wires now.

A syrian attack over the border, resulting in the deaths of 5 Turkish citizens.

Turkey has responded with a counter attack.

Details are still sketchy but will update as they become available.

Turkey Fires On Syria Following Mortar Attack Across Border, Says Turkish Prime Minister's Office - Huffington Post

AKCAKALE, Turkey, Oct 3 (Reuters) - A mortar bomb fired from Syria landed in a residential district of the southeastern Turkish town of Akcakale on Wednesday, killing a woman and four children from the same family and wounding at least eight other people.

A cloud of dust and smoke rose up over low-rise buildings as residents ran to help the wounded. Others, infuriated by the increasing spillover of violence from Syria's civil war, took to the streets shouting protests against the local authorities.

Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu phoned U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to brief him about the incident and also spoke with senior military officials and Syria crisis mediator Lakhdar Brahimi, his ministry said in a statement.

Davutoglu signalled over the weekend that Turkey would take action if there was a repeat of a mortar strike which damaged homes and workplaces in Akcakale last Friday.

"It (latest mortar round) hit right in the middle of the neighbourhood. The wife and four children from the same family died," Ahmet Emin Meshurgul, local head of the Turkish Red Crescent, told Reuters, adding he knew the victims personally.

"People here are anxious, because we got hit before. Security forces tried to convince people to empty the neighbourhood near the border, but now we've been hit right in the middle of the town," he said.

A Reuters witness saw three police officers among the wounded being taken to hospital.

Click link for remainder of article.

Other Sources -
Reuters- Turkey strikes targets inside Syria after mortar attack
Zerohedge- Turkey Fires Artillery Shells Into Syria In Alleged Retaliation

Additional -
NATO Ambassadors will be meeting later on today to discuss this incident and the UN Secretary General has ben briefed.

Originally posted by buni11687
Here's a video that says basically the same as the links above.

ETA - Changed title to reflect news source titles.
ETA - Death count per the UN Secretary General is now 6.
edit on 3-10-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
And Iran is probably involved in this somehow. Remember, they had been moving troops into Syria. This is possibly why.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I'm ready man! eff it! WW3 bring it on! let's just get this over with! let your freak flag and your missiles fly!!!
last one standing turn the lights out please.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
If Syria responds say hello to NATO intervention...

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
i bet that AL CIADA or MOSSAD did that attack on Turkey from Syria. for obvious reasons!

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Good! I am ecstatic that Turkey retaliated against this evil regime! Someone needs to show some b@lls and do something about this murderous regime, killing innocent women, children and others. I am sure there will be accusations of false flags, it's America's fault, blah, blah, blah... What we need to do is have Russian and Chinese government officials stand on the border between these countries, so Turkey can have something to aim at. These two countries(Russia and China) need to be removed from NATO! Their behavior in this situation is despicable!

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by malachi777

What did I tell you? Look at the comment above my last comment!

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Here's a video that says basically the same as the links above.

One of the mortars landed on a house and one of those killed was a 6 year old child.

This could turn out pretty bad.

ETA - Im also wondering, if Turkey declares war on Syria, will that bring in all the NATO countries on Turkey's side. Also, dosent Syria and Iran have a defense pact of sorts? Would that bring Iran into this to?
edit on 3-10-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZakOlongapo
i bet that AL CIADA or MOSSAD did that attack on Turkey from Syria. for obvious reasons!

And there it is...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThedeadeyesofCharlieSheen
If Syria responds say hello to NATO intervention...

NATO..The organization constitutes a system of collective defence whereby its member states agree to mutual defense in response to an attack by any external party.

Yep..

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by malachi777
Good! I am ecstatic that Turkey retaliated against this evil regime! Someone needs to show some b@lls and do something about this murderous regime, killing innocent women, children and others. I am sure there will be accusations of false flags, it's America's fault, blah, blah, blah... What we need to do is have Russian and Chinese government officials stand on the border between these countries, so Turkey can have something to aim at. These two countries(Russia and China) need to be removed from NATO! Their behavior in this situation is despicable!

There is only one small problem in that comment of yours. And I know what it is.
China and Russia are not in NATO.

I feel so smart now...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
But what "beef" has Syria with Turkey again..?

I hope people in power keep their heads twisted on straight..no matter who is behind this sneaky busines..

edit on 3/10/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by zatara

sec.line

A violation of national sovereignty comes to mind...

The death of 5 Turkish citizens by Syrian actions...

Just for starters...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZakOlongapo

yeah it will be interesting to see who actually did it, i mean they say it come from Syria but there must be mercs and soldiers from 30 different country's in that mix, so how the hell do we know who did it?

one things for certain, the Syrian military has no reason to have done it, but you can bet they'll get the blame...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by zatara

sec.line

Everyone wants to have beef with everyone else nowadays.
This was probably some syrian soldier going: "I don't like turks. I'm firing a shell."

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Okay genius. Let me be a little more specific so you can feel a little less intelligent. "United Nations Security Council". Understand that Russia and China do have a hand in NATO. If you understood how these two distinctive entities are intertwined, you would have understood what I was saying.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Not brown trousers time just yet as this has happened 4 times before , on only 2 occasions did turkish civilians die...

It has been overlooked before , it could/might be again if the allies have not got the balls to do something that could be wrong as this 1 mortar shell could be fired by anyone..

still worth watching though.. could get real ugly real fast..
edit on 3/10/12 by Quantum_Squirrel because: spelling

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join