It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News - Reuters- Turkey strikes targets inside Syria after mortar attack

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by zatara

I believe that one of two things happened here. Syria has accused Turkey of sheltering rebels across the border for awhile now. So either Syrian forces chose to shoot at the rebels in Turkey and missed, or the rebels in Syria shot at Turkey, trying to convince them that it was loyalist forces, drawing Turkey into this. The rebels have been known to fake other things, why not this.

Okay...I do not know much about war and how it is to serve in such situations. What I do know is that they play with fire. Some idiot can use this incident for his or theirs own insane agenda.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DutchBigBoy
How long will it take for Iran to respond to Turkey.
Syria and Iran are allies remember.

I'd be very surprised if Iran went on a suicidal attack.

Its not in Iran or Syria's interest to pull Turkey (supported by NATO) into the Syrian civil war.

The only people that would be happy with Turkey flattening the Assad regime would be the rebel faction and their Saudi backers.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

And what are they going to do? There isn't much they can do without pissing off everyone else in the region and getting bombs dropped on themselves.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Well Turkish radar picked up the exact locations inside Syria and those targets were hit by Turkish missiles... soooo somebody somewhere inside the Syrian border must have a headache I guess, rebels or regime unit, somebody got hit:

Ankara said it hit back with shelling of its own, and that it called an urgent meeting of NATO.

"Our armed forces in the border region immediately retaliated against this heinous attack... by shelling the targets spotted by radar," said the office of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Source The Australian
Source The Australian

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I was actually pondering at the idea. If I was Assad down the road and see that Turkey or NATO is going to take action I'd ask Iran to send over a missile to remind them if they go ahead they'll have to deal with not only Syria but also Iran and kick off the regional war which might draw in Russia.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Exactly. I'm personally leaning towards the rebels trying to suck Turkey into the fight. I think the only way they'll win this fight is with outside intervention. What better way than with a shooting incident, where the "Syrian military" opens fire on Turkey and kills civilians. I also think they faked the documents that the pilots of the Turkish F-4 were recovered alive, and executed.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

And what are they going to do? There isn't much they can do without pissing off everyone else in the region and getting bombs dropped on themselves.

If Iran responds I don't think NATO would attack because of the possible Russian threat.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Except that Iran and Russia don't have any treaties. Iran is an important military customer of Russia, but as far as I know Russia doesn't have a formal treaty with them. I can see Russia stepping up sales of equipment to Iran in response, but I don't know if they would intervene with troops.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Iran knows Turkey would stomp its turbans in the sand dunes. Iran wont be helping anyone defend jack when its a large Nation state. Then again the looney Arab dictators are suicidal to a point most times.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

reply to post by Jepic

Except that Iran and Russia don't have any treaties. Iran is an important military customer of Russia, but as far as I know Russia doesn't have a formal treaty with them. I can see Russia stepping up sales of equipment to Iran in response, but I don't know if they would intervene with troops.

That uncertainty is good enough to keep NATO in check I believe.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Patriotsrevenge

Iran knows Turkey would stomp its turbans in the sand dunes. Iran wont be helping anyone defend jack when its a large Nation state. Then again the looney Arab dictators are suicidal to a point most times.

Turkey would get defeated badly if it had a war against Syria and Iran at the same time. Iran and Syria both know this fact.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

I don't think that anyone will do anything but step up weapons sales to the different sides. I don't think there will be any military intervention beyond what's already happened. We might see a small scale response by Turkey, but not much beyond the current situation.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

I don't know about that. I think Turkey could hold its own. It would have the short supply route, where Iran would have to send planes and equipment a long way to the fight. I don't think that Turkey would dominate them, but I think that they could hold their own, especially if the US does like it has with Israel and flies new equipment in. And if Israel holds up to the treaty with Turkey, as shaky as it is, they may come in on the side of Turkey, which would make things very interesting.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I am going to stand at my front door SW England we should all be saying NO to this
But NOTHING will happen
RIP to the 6 inocent victims of this crime

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic

Originally posted by Patriotsrevenge

Turkey would get defeated badly if it had a war against Syria and Iran at the same time. Iran and Syria both know this fact.

I don't think so...

Turkey can take Syria in a week....all they need to do is roll over the border and Assad will run...that's it..game over.

Iran will not attack for a lost cause....they will simply reinforce Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Turkey, if it doe's invade Syria will become a new target for the Jihadi's who aren't affiliated with anyone.

Does Turkey want to burden itself with overseeing Syrian restructuring after the fact...with all its unforeseen consequences ?

C..

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

reply to post by Jepic

I don't know about that. I think Turkey could hold its own. It would have the short supply route, where Iran would have to send planes and equipment a long way to the fight. I don't think that Turkey would dominate them, but I think that they could hold their own, especially if the US does like it has with Israel and flies new equipment in. And if Israel holds up to the treaty with Turkey, as shaky as it is, they may come in on the side of Turkey, which would make things very interesting.

If other nations get involved and start supplying either sides then we are back in square one looking at a regional conflict that could escalate into a WW.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

But if Turkey does get involved, they can invoke Article 5, which means that other countries will get involved in some way or another. So if they do get involved, then yes, we probably are looking at the area blowing up and getting dangerous. Hopefully, they will keep their response limited.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Syria has nothing to gain and everything to lose from this..

not to mention it's not like Syria has the capability at the moment for a true war?
they can barely handle 2000+ foreign mercs let alone a professional standing army.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Lets see, Turkey was attacked by accidental or intential mortar fire from whomever in Syria. Innocent civilians were killed and property was destroyed. Furthermore, Turkish territorial integrity was violated. Turkish retaliation against key Syrian targets ensued. Since the start of the Syrian insurrection, Turkey has been sending subtle warnings about attacking within their territory. Apparently, this is the straw that broke the camel's back?

However, how does Israel, the United States, NATO, Russia, China, Iran, or any nation get mentioned with what I said previously? I was waiting to hear someone say the Martians from Mars are responsible? Forgive my criticism, but we are just getting the facts, and immediately the thread gets flooded with lurid conspiracies? I am all for a good conspiracy and a who done it. Yet, it seems some of our contemporaries are pulling scenarios out of thin air? I see nothing out of the ordinary by the actions of Turkey after their civilians were killed in an unprovoked attack by Syria. Everyone and their mother knew that this was bound to happen sooner or later as the violence and mayhem escalated. Just a matter of how and when? We know now. I had always hoped that the international community would have got this issued resolved peacefully? Not likely now.
edit on 3-10-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

reply to post by Jepic

But if Turkey does get involved, they can invoke Article 5, which means that other countries will get involved in some way or another. So if they do get involved, then yes, we probably are looking at the area blowing up and getting dangerous. Hopefully, they will keep their response limited.

I think we can all agree Turkey will be the point man for NATO in this one, an attack on one NATO nation is an attack on all NATO nations..that's the rule.

I expect Syria to deny responsibility....I have my doubts..they know the consequences.

C..

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join