It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Shot Trying to Force Way into Home, Shooter Arrested for Murder

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Look, I don’t care about the legalities or litigation in cases like this, surely common sense and morality overrides? Sometimes I think people need to use their brains and see that the threat has been neutralised rather then hide behind a law. Clearly this man was no longer a threat. Undeniably the homeowner and his property is no longer under threat. For him to chase an unarmed man in his backyard and unload a clip into his back is cowardly. It’s murder, plain and simple. The homeowner has turned aggressor. He is threatening another person’s life. He therefore, if all is right and just, should forfeit any right to claim self defence - because he is no longer in danger. This may have scared the life out of the 24 year old if he got away. Maybe it would have helped turn his life around. Maybe he would have been caught and spent five years in jail and come out a model citizen. No one will ever know because now he is dead. You’re a harsh man if you believe the homeowner, under this particular circumstance, should be found innocent of any crime. You seem like you’d be proud to shoot a bank robber in the back...

Also we’re discussing this isolated incident where the intruder never made it into the house and was killed fleeing, not all home invasions in general. There are no doubt times when deadly force is justified, this is unquestionably not one of those occasions. I still hope he serves a long prison sentence.

Also, I’m sorry to disappoint but I’m not from Chicago, LA or NY.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Is it true that our 2nd amendment allows even criminals to carry weapons? It doesn't say they cant. Only today's laws make it illegal, but is it truly illegal? Based on history.
edit on 29-8-2012 by nine11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

No its not "just you", apparently its about 3/4 of the worlds population who feel that their material possessions are more important than life itself...

Is it any wonder this entire race is heading in one direction only?

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Have you ever killed anybody? Do u think you will be running round bragging to your friends about how you chased an unarmed man down & what? shot him 7 times in the back. Yeah man he came at me & boy didn't I teach him, I'm all for defending yourself but chasing a man down & killing him over what a few $. Reminds me of American history X, try & steal my truck will ya. To the people saying drag the body a few feet, I'm not sure on American law but I would think if you move the body of a person you just killed to do anything except check vitals, you are screwed 7 ways from Sunday even if you were in the right to begin with.
Here in Oz we are told to shoot the guy first then yell stop stop as loud as u can & put a couple of extra rounds in the roof. Guy must of been homicidal he didn't even stop after I fired 2 warning shots he was almost on me & I had no time for a second warning.

I never said killing the man was OK, in fact i stated he is probably in the wrong. Talking about what laws allow and what people do are different things.
edit on 8/29/2012 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlindBastards

Look, I don’t care about the legalities or litigation in cases like this, surely common sense and morality overrides?

Personal choice is one of the great things about America. Morality is subjective at best.

Sometimes I think people need to use their brains and see that the threat has been neutralized rather than hide behind a law. Clearly this man was no longer a threat. Undeniably the homeowner and his property is no longer under threat.

Have you ever been terrorized in the night in your own home by a stranger? The laws are written to protect the homeowner from having to act reasonably when scared, pumped with adrenaline and in absolute fear. Those factors do not contribute to very good decision making. I say we give the scared homeowner the benefit of a doubt and not feel sorry for the criminal. Your mileage may vary. Therefore the law allows the homeowner great latitude realizing the original actor was after all the criminal.

For him to chase an unarmed man in his backyard and unload a clip into his back is cowardly. It’s murder, plain and simple. The homeowner has turned aggressor. He is threatening another person’s life. He therefore, if all is right and just, should forfeit any right to claim self defense - because he is no longer in danger.

Again, until you have been terrorized in the night by an intruder by a stranger you have no idea how you will react in this situation.

This may have scared the life out of the 24 year old if he got away. Maybe it would have helped turn his life around. Maybe he would have been caught and spent five years in jail and come out a model citizen. No one will ever know because now he is dead.

He also may have fled and just continued on with his life of crime... Choosing next time to be better armed.

You’re a harsh man if you believe the homeowner, under this particular circumstance, should be found innocent of any crime. You seem like you’d be proud to shoot a bank robber in the back...

Yes, I do think the benefit of a doubt in all cases should be given to the victim rather than the criminal. I have killed people before - it is not something to be "proud" of. None the less it is something that needs to be done. People commit crime because crime pays - if the only reward for crime was death we'd have less of it.

Also we’re discussing this isolated incident where the intruder never made it into the house and was killed fleeing, not all home invasions in general. There are no doubt times when deadly force is justified, this is unquestionably not one of those occasions. I still hope he serves a long prison sentence.

I hope he walks.

Also, I’m sorry to disappoint but I’m not from Chicago, LA or NY.

If you felt my comment about left leaning cities was directed at you personally I apologies that was not my intent.

Cheers.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenRuled

It's not my usual 911 caller being shot story put it's just as bad. I was told when I lived down around Ar/Ok, I was told if you have to shoot someone, "WAIT" until they are in your house or drag them into your house after you arkansasmatters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Do you really think that dragging someone you just shot into your house is going to protect you from the law? That's not going to work. Any halfway decent forensic cop will be able to see that you did that, and this evidence is going to hang you. You'd be far better off just leaving them outside and taking the heat, or waiting to shoot them until they were inside. Dragging them in makes it look like premeditated murder.

But wait, there's more. If you're waiting for them to enter your house, then apparently you haven't let them know you're standing there armed. Why not? Why not tell them, show them the weapon, pump that shotgun so they can hear it, whatever - let them know they're heading for trouble? Most people I know would tend to find that sort of thing discouraging, and would probably reconsider whether they really wanted to break into your house after all.

So my question really is, what's the goal here? To protect your property and your family from harm? Or to be able to shoot someone and get away with it?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod
reply to post by MidnightTide

No its not "just you", apparently its about 3/4 of the worlds population who feel that their material possessions are more important than life itself...

Is it any wonder this entire race is heading in one direction only?

Must be nice to be a walking saint, lets see what you do when someone tries to break into your home.

and yes, I have been in that situation and I won't be a victim, you are more then welcome to that role.....and stop trying to make people willing to defend themselves into the evil one here....we are not the ones breaking and entering.
edit on 3-9-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join