It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Shot Trying to Force Way into Home, Shooter Arrested for Murder

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Solution: Shoot, shovel, shut up.

Once again glad I live on a boat. Shoot, sink, shut up.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot
reply to post by GoldenRuled

According to the link you posted the shooter followed the intruder into the yard and shot him.

I'm pretty sure self defence no longer applies if the aggressor is in retreat when you shoot them.

According to reports, 24-year-old Tyrone McAfee was trying to force open the back door of the residence with his shoulder, when Young began firing at him from inside the house.

Young then followed McAfee into the back yard and shot him several more times, police say.

Yeah. Kinda makes you wonder why they titled the story what they titled it.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

It wasn't the fighting back part that got him in trouble. It was the following him into the yard and emptying his gun into him that did. Self-defense means just that defending yourself. Once the threat is in retreat you are no longer defending yourself.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Since they are using the shooters 3 names, they have already profiled him into a nut case and he stands no ground on this case, he will be tried and made an example of most likely.

Does anyone else get the feeling that the shooter probably knew the intruder?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

I understand that, but I also have my opinion on justice, not law.

(and as some people have already stated, there are ways to get around the law, too bad the homeowner didn't understand the loopholes)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
He had no reason or right to kill this guy...even if you wake up and see a man standing in your hallway....you absolutely have no right to shoot or kill him. There was no percieved threat of death from the guy breaking in, and he has no way of knowing if he intended to hurt someone or had a weapon etc....
Look, he couldve yelled real loud and scared the guy away (probably)...but NO...he killed him. And that is not legal without a real, present and clear threat of great bodily harm.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Really? Someone breaks into your house, and you should just sit there and yell at him / them?

Wow, there really isn't much help for some people.

Someone breaking into your home has no positive intentions towards you or your family. They have zero regard to the law and should be treated as such.
edit on 27-8-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
He had no reason or right to kill this guy...even if you wake up and see a man standing in your hallway....you absolutely have no right to shoot or kill him. There was no percieved threat of death from the guy breaking in, and he has no way of knowing if he intended to hurt someone or had a weapon etc....

Umm no I wake up and see a strange man in my hallway or in my house he will not be leaving unharmed. It is my house and my locked doors he passed through. The locked doors should be more than sufficient notification he is not welcome. I don't care what weapon he has or does not have. That being said neither me nor my dog are going to follow him once he decides he has lost and runs away.

Look, he couldve yelled real loud and scared the guy away (probably)...but NO...he killed him. And that is not legal without a real, present and clear threat of great bodily harm.

In this case he shot at him through the door and he retreated, I have no real issue with this other than he really should have waited until he broke the door down. The problem I have is once he has scared him away he has lost any right to pursue him further.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

...he still had no right to murder him...his action did not meet the threat presented...which was unknown at the time...and yet he killed him.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

Good luck with that in court...especially if he had no weapons....
You still have no legal right to KILL him...to DEFEND yourself, yes...thats not what happened...he flat out KILLED him...'couldve even been somedrunk neighbor-wrong house.
You absolutely can DEFEND yourself...but this man took his gun and OFFENSIVELY killed this guy;
Go tell the judge that you were "scared" so you didnt wait to see...you just shot him dead...

And if those of us armed (myself included) seem to think youre gonna shoot dead anyone in your garage, hallway, front yard or climbing in the window...then you need more self defense training...and all those reasons I listed are still not enough of a reason to kill someone...check with your P.D. and see if its true.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Well, to you and whomever is staring your posts, wonder how things are going to go if someone tries to break into your home:

"Sir, what intentions do you have entering my home?"

You can preach legality all you want, I chose to deal with the here and now. Now as to myself, if someone is breaking into my home, as soon as I determine it isn't someone I know, then they will be met with whatever force I can muster. I applaud the homeowner with his actions, if more people acted like that perhaps less people would be inclined to break and enter.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Sorry you lose have already lived through it once and will do it again if I must. Thank You have a nice day.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
i'd go with temporary insanity. He was freaked out running on instinct alone. Not entirely in control of his faculties. Those here not been in this situation have no idea what you would do. I would wager half would freeze up trying to call 911. That much adrenaline in your system makes a person entirely unpredictable when considering no training and little experience if that kind of rush.
edit on 27-8-2012 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Hope the home owner is not found guilty. Technically, he should have waited until the criminal broke into his home before shooting. But had he not done what he did, it would just be a matter of time before the criminal broke into his or another's home. Any man that would break into another's home, to rape/murder/steal, (why else would you break into someone else's house) deserves to be shot.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Reminds me of the old "No Trespassing" sign.

No Trespassing...Intruders will be shot.

Survivors will be shot again.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   

It wasn't the fighting back part that got him in trouble. It was the following him into the yard and emptying his gun into him that did. Self-defense means just that defending yourself. Once the threat is in retreat you are no longer defending yourself.

It is still self-defense.

Perhaps not how it's legally viewed but it still is.

If someone is breaking into your house they are willing to harm. At least, it's likely, and therefore the perceived risk is real.

Just because the criminal retracts the advance, runs away... does not mean he is really retreating. They could just be avoiding the gunfire and attempt to retaliate soon after. It's an assumption to think you know with certainty it's really a retreat.

I know it's not going to necessarily fly legally but in the spirit of self-defense (truly defending lives) I would not assume the criminal running away was retreating, I would not risk myself and my family's lives on that assumption. I would follow him into the yard and fire more shots.
edit on 28-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
A girl I used to know that drove an ice cream truck was robbed at knife point. After the dude rode off on his bike, she ran him down with the truck. She was flipped out. Attempted murder charges were filed but dismissed a couple weeks later. Was she right or wrong? In or out of control? Excusable or inexcusable? You just dont know until you been there. I think he got off easy myself.
edit on 28-8-2012 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Attempted murder charges were filed but dismissed a couple weeks later.

Was that his charge or hers? What was both their charges?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Since they are using the shooters 3 names, they have already profiled him into a nut case and he stands no ground on this case, he will be tried and made an example of most likely.

Does anyone else get the feeling that the shooter probably knew the intruder?

Different article

An altercation over a woman allegedly led to the death of one local man and the arrest of another for murder early Monday.

edit on 28-8-2012 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   

When is the average slave gonna learn, killing citizens should be left to trained "professionals", like our police and military.

Its only ok when a cop does it.

edit on 28-8-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join