It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can add to infinity

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

That's because an apple is physical. An idea, a concept, is much easier to divide infinitely...because if you get to the point you can go no farther, you just make up something, assign the required value, and keep going.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
There is definitely something to that. I can see it haha.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by randyvs

Meaning what, exactly?

Contrast - Multiplicity of notions.

Contrast can be a very vague word sometimes. So I see why you ask.

edit on 14-8-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Numbers come from axioms of mathematics which are the initial rules of all mathematics. This produces the number system. Since numbers come from the axioms of mathematics you can't prove that numbers exist.

Infinity is not a number (therefore it cannot exist as such) but an abstract concept.

infinity + 1 = infinity
infinity - infinity does not equal 0
infinity * 0 does not exist
infinity cannot be proven

I hope this makes sense.

edit on 14-8-2012 by eggbert because: Typo

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by eggbert

Infinity is the multiplicity of notions or the stupidity of man. Imagine talking some bubble gum from your mouth and stretching in two different directions forever.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

Well you can actually keep dividing once you are at the atomic level. Ever heard of a quark? I wouldn't be surprised if as science gets more and more advanced there are even smaller elements than quarks. However this is the topic of a different debate.

Let's go back to your example of dividing 1 inch by half over and over again. This still helps to prove my example in that you can keep dividing it in half, yet it will never be a measurement equal to 0. It will always be a distance greater than 0. Hence infinity cannot equal 0.
edit on 14-8-2012 by Krazysh0t because: grammar

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Another example of this could be this thread. It could on forever do to the multiplicity of notions or the stupidity of man.

That's what I mean exactly.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

That's really an oversimplified way of describing it...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

If you don't enjoy this discussion, or feel compelled to degrade the quality of its progress, either contribute or find another thread.

It's not that hard.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by spy66

I don't really understand the last part. Can you clarify? How does something expand but become smaller? That doesn't make sense to me.
edit on 14-8-2012 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

Confused here too. What's being added and/or subtracted? Numbers mean nothing if they don't represent something. So, is it 'time' that's being added and/or subtracted? Is it the distance of the universe? What?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

This thread is for the purpose of discussion and to get people thinking. If you believe it is 'stupid' then that is your OPINION and are more than welcome to leave. You have yet to add anything to the discussion.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

This thread is for the purpose of discussion and to get people thinking. If you believe it is 'stupid' then that is your OPINION and are more than welcome to leave. You have yet to add anything to the discussion.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Well take .000001. You can keep adding 0's in front of the 1 forever, therefore making the length of the number expand forever however at the same time the value of the number is getting smaller forever.

edit on 14-8-2012 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Ok so infinity is only conceptual and not physical? Could this be how there are other dimentions?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Yes I definately agree with you. Lets just say we had a hypothetical super computer dividing a inch in half constantly. At what point after several trillions and trillions of divisions would we arrive at a consitant number that was at the end of all the zeros behind the decimal point? Would that indeed be a constant or still infinity?
edit on 14-8-2012 by proob4 because: Grammer

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Hello everyone, I joined just because of this post!

In mathematics the null set (collection of nothing) has been used to create our number system from first principles.

null set = 0

null set + null set = 1

null set + null set + null set = 2 ...... so on (The book "Goedel, Escher, Bach" gives a good overview of this in several hundred pages.)

The null set includes itself. Now applied to the universe everything should total to zero, meaning:

All matter is balanced by antimatter, all positive electric charge balanced by negative, every photon balanced by another photon of the exact same frequency but moving in the opposite direction.

Even though it sums up to zero, it still contains infinite space, time, and detail.

While this approach has no contradictions, it is hard to grasp.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
On a side note and staying on topic with infinity. I allways found this photo awesome!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by randyvs

If you don't enjoy this discussion, or feel compelled to degrade the quality of its progress, either contribute or find another thread.

It's not that hard.

What the hell are you talking about ?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I think you two are letting guilt get to ya. You have no control over what I post or where and I'm perfectly on-topic so what's the problem ?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Probably "denying his ignorance"? Or has something fantastic to say but cannot.
edit on 14-8-2012 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join