It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can add to infinity

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Neither because there are an infinite amount of both. That's one of Zeno's paradoxes. Half a number being equal to twice its amount.

Actually both are the same.

There is what is called a countable set. Both sets of even and odd integers have the same amount obviously. However, so do the set of all integers.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Bottoms up again

Nothingness actually? Is this a mathematical concept? Because that seems to be in contradiction with you agreeing nothingness never was.

Actually it is.

What I am saying that if everything is possible (and I mean possible!) then nothingness is possible and does actually exist.

It's a paradox I know.

If nothingness can exist then it exist! That's something! Then it's also possible that something doesn't exist. It's a loop.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

That's what I was saying, there are an infinite number of both sets so both sets are the same.

What I meant about half of a number being equal to twice its amount is this:

Let's use your same concept except on a finite scale. Take 1-20 and count how many even numbers there are. There are 10 even numbers in that set, which is half the amount of the total set. You would think putting that concept on an infinite scale it would come out to be half of infinity of even numbers, but they are both the same amount because there are an infinite number of both.

So half of a set being equal to the whole set.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Ok

I will throw out a few sets

1. A set of all positive integers
2. A set of all even integers
3. A set of all odd integers
4. A set of 3i integers where i is a positive integer.

Which one got greater number of those numbers?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   

There are an infinite number of positive integers.

There are an infinite number of even integers.

There are an infinite number of odd integers.

Three times an infinite number of positive integers is still infinity.

They are all the same amount.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Did you read about aleph number? en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Yes, there is the infinitesimal within the infinite. So not only is infinity incredibly huge, but incredibly tiny at the same time.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
You are working from the basic premise that 1+1=2, this could in point of fact be incorrect. There is evidence for this at the quantum level. The way humanity quantifies things is drasticly flawed.

Also infinity + any number = infinity, does it not?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
+1 -1 = 3 (Holy Trinity)

3=0 (Infinity)

0= numbers 1 to 9

1 is the beginning of infinity

0 in the middle to prove infinity exists as the seesaw 'centreline' can be divided infinitely to become smaller or thinner.. so then where then is the center?? it is infinitely moving forward.. dividing itself.. thus it is infinite

one cannot single out or point at infinity. but he/she can become it

logic sucks..it's just a child of creativity. in fact it could not even exist without creativity creating the blocks for logic to play with LOL. Yet society forces us to overshadow creativity with logic. i can say it certainly does a good job of producing mindless unthinking buffoons who function more like robot husks than sentient life forms.

oh and OP more that 75% of the posters wont understand what your post is saying or worse what i just added to it.. but it's not for them to understand. understanding what u just stated as im sure u will come to see can lead to many solutions in technology.

it opens the gates of understanding all hidden masonic codes, all davinci's hidden symbols and how tesla and other great minds were able to produce 'Natural Energy' which conforms to the laws of the universe and does not harm the planet.

let's put it this way.. just as i did.. place it here to taunt them of their ignorance and stupidity. but dont teach them. they dont deserve to know. can u imagine the knowledge in the hands of tyrants? they will be removed from power and some from existence first.. then the world will receive this knowledge and free energy (ZERO POINT).

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This is more about semantics and much less about reality. In physical reality, infinity does not exist. And quantum physics has already proven this to be true. Tossing digits around as if they actually represent anything but concepts that the human mind has created is where most people get off track.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Infinity is not a real number. It cannot be included in calculations with real numbers, be those negative or positive.

Does that solve your problem?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Are you just not adding (1+(-1))+(2+(-2)).... which is 0+0+0...
You are adding nothing to nothing, however many times you do this, you still get nothing.

Also, you're missing the point of the different infinities, for one they're different sizes.
You can't do maths with infinity because the moment you define it as something, its no longer infinity, its this new defined fixed point you are trying to operate with.
If I gave you infinite money you can't then give half the infinity to somebody else, because it wont be infinity anymore, it will be infinity/2.
It exists as a concept and that's all it is.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
This is going to be a very short post, but I thought it was interesting enough to warrant its own thread. I'm not sure if this is where this belongs but it seemed the best fit. Mods, move where appropriate if needed.

The common belief is that no one can ever add to infinity because infinity can never be reached, I am about to prove this wrong.

What most people think of as infinity is the symbol ∞ or everything. This is wrong, infinity is nothing or 0.

To explain, I will use very simple math. In order to reach infinity you have to add all numbers together. I don't mean just positive numbers, but negative numbers as well.

1+(-1)+2+(-2)+3+(-3).........= 0

So infinity is zero. Adding all numbers together equals no number at all, which I thought was very interesting, but maybe that's just me.

the only problem with this is that its not apparent in the physics of the world we live in. IF this were the case there would be no protons or electrons...just neutrons...there wouldn't be any positive or negative ends to a magnetic field as they would cancel each other out. AC wouldn't be possible either.

(+) inifnity, (-)Infinity and 0 are essentially like three points on a triangle...each individual point makes up the whole but you have to have individual separate points you can't just have "0".

If that makes any sense

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xertious
Are you just not adding (1+(-1))+(2+(-2)).... which is 0+0+0...
You are adding nothing to nothing, however many times you do this, you still get nothing.

Also, you're missing the point of the different infinities, for one they're different sizes.
You can't do maths with infinity because the moment you define it as something, its no longer infinity, its this new defined fixed point you are trying to operate with.
If I gave you infinite money you can't then give half the infinity to somebody else, because it wont be infinity anymore, it will be infinity/2.
It exists as a concept and that's all it is.

Actually that is wrong. Infinity/2 = Infinity. You can prove this two ways, using Calculus or by comparing countable sets. With Calculus you just take the limit of these two functions as they go to infinity: floor(X) and floor(X/2). Both answers equal infinity. Then using countable sets you can just map any number in X to another number in X/2 [2 -> 1, 4 -> 2, -2 -> -1, -4 -> -2, etc]

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Infinity is a concept of whole numbers, not negatives.

Nice thought, but ultimately illogical.

(as though imaginary numbers are logical
)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Zero has no manifestation, it's a concept describing the lack of something tangible. So it's basically imaginary/not found in nature. Same thing for negative numbers, imo.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Infinity IS A REAL NUMBER.. the problem is man cannot use it in his calculations based on the flaw of the mathematical system man has developed.

that's not infinity's fault... it's man's fault, flaw and failure

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Not really because it would be more like a triangle except without the bottom line. Zero would be the top point and positive and negative infinity would extend down from zero forever.

The positive and negative would never connect.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AkumaStreak

Hey, infinity isn't tangible and isn't found in nature either.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by 0mage

Please elaborate. The way I see it I've been using infinity in many of my Calculus calculations. Just because you can't use basic mathematical operations on it, doesn't mean it isn't manipulative with all mathematical operations.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join