Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

I can add to infinity

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
This is going to be a very short post, but I thought it was interesting enough to warrant its own thread. I'm not sure if this is where this belongs but it seemed the best fit. Mods, move where appropriate if needed.

The common belief is that no one can ever add to infinity because infinity can never be reached, I am about to prove this wrong.

What most people think of as infinity is the symbol ∞ or everything. This is wrong, infinity is nothing or 0.

To explain, I will use very simple math. In order to reach infinity you have to add all numbers together. I don't mean just positive numbers, but negative numbers as well.

1+(-1)+2+(-2)+3+(-3).........= 0

So infinity is zero. Adding all numbers together equals no number at all, which I thought was very interesting, but maybe that's just me.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Actually...what you are doing is subtracting infinity from infinity to get ZERO.
Split Infinity

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

I didn't subtract anything. Negative numbers are still real numbers and you can't subtract infinity from infinity, or am I mistaken?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
You exhausted me with all that math. Let me simplify it for you

1+everything else= infinity.

Wasn't that easier?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Idahomie

Well, most people would take that as 1+all other positive numbers, that's why I added negative numbers to clarify.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
What he is actually doing is adding a even amount of + and - .

Here is different way of viewing the calculation:

-5, -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

If you add the negative side with the positive side, you get 0 which is located in the center.

The infinite cannot expand and become larger. Only finite can expand and become smaller.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

I don't really understand the last part. Can you clarify? How does something expand but become smaller? That doesn't make sense to me.
edit on 14-8-2012 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by SplitInfinity

I didn't subtract anything. Negative numbers are still real numbers and you can't subtract infinity from infinity, or am I mistaken?

Semantics. A count of any tangible thing is inclination of quantity via addition.
Just because we have Negative Numbers to represent a Quantity of Lack of a Tangible thing does not change the logic that even though it may be called addition of a Whole Number to a Negative Number...it is still just subtraction.
Split Infinity

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

You should work in a Bank, there's gonna be some vacancies shortly I believe. Litlle birdy told me........

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Right, the number that best represents the concept of infinity is zero for sure.

Any number expressed in a ratio with infinity in the denominator is considered zero in math. SO if the concept of infinity is accepted in reality, any individual aspect is reduced to zero.

The only two numbers that exist with regard to expressing the universe are 1 (sum) and 0 (any individual part).

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

In essence your count is getting you nowhere (-1+1 = 0)and is wrong. You are not smarter than everyone (not to be mean). When subtracting 1 (or adding -1) you are still increasing by an integer (I believe) so the number would increase not decrease. Just a thought.
edit on 14-8-2012 by btayl26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by btayl26

I never implied I was smarter than anyone, it's a concept you don't need to be smart to get. Which is why I used 'simple' math.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Then why not title it as "You can count to infinity" ?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by btayl26

It was a poor choice of word(s). Me saying 'I can count to infinity' implies that anyone can. Sorry if you didn't catch onto that.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   

I apologize for not following your nonsense. No finite sum of real numbers result in infinity. This is because the real numbers are closed under addition and inifinity is not a real number. A series is an infinite sum. Do all infinite sums (other than 0 + 0 + 0 + ... result in infinity? No. Some "converge" to real numbers. For example the 1 + x + x^2 + x*3 + ... for any x, 0

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

The common belief is that no one can ever add to infinity because infinity can never be reached\

Let's pretend the Universe had a start. Let's pretend the Universe will never end. At the start of the Universe someone (immortal) started counting 1,2,3,4... Because the Universe isn't going to end means the person can continue to count.... forever. Just because the person doesn't reach the end doesn't mean the person isn't counting forever.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I agree with that completely. Infinity can never be reached because it keeps growing infinitely. (well until the universe stops growing i guess)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by btayl26

Sorry if you think it's nonsense, but that is your opinion. Infinity is not a real number but it is the collection of all real numbers.

'Besides' 0+0+0....? Why 'besides' that?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   

I agree that you can never reach or grasp infinity. Can you reach and grasp nothing? No. Infinity is everything and nothing at the same time, at least in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Using that analogy, someone can never count to zero as well. Counting to something requires a number to precede it, there is no number that precedes zero, unless you include negative numbers, but wouldn't you have to count forever to never reach zero? Or would you choose to start at a random negative number? If that's the case, what is the point in that?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join