It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does Mitt Romney Want To Restrict Voting Rights For More Than 900,000 Ohio Veterans?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
All of this hand wringing cracks me up - perhaps because it will actually have an impact on eliminating fraudulent votes. Apparently the Democrats couldn't survive without all of those pets and dead people showing up at the polls. Or the illegal immigrants. Or the felons. Or the voter intimidation offered by the Black Panthers...

Come on you guys. The FIRST TUESDAY OF NOVEMBER. Is it that hard? If you are unavailable that day, get an Absentee Ballot and mail it in!

Non partisan voter here:
The problem comes back to who has the power. Voter fraud is when one guy cheats the system. Election fraud is when the system cheats.

Besides the generalities, please give the readers a source for the number of "VOTER FRAUD" over the last twenty years. The reason why I ask for this information is simple. On this thread, we see several videos, quotes, etc. which explain "ELECTION FRAUD" which was a benefit to the GOP.

As for missing the day of voting... my nephew is an EMT. He worked on an election day. Every time he tried to get in line to vote, he received another call and was unable to do so. He learned his lesson, but why should it be in question. (I really hate the "prove the point by a sample of one", but this one is clear for me)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix

Seems very convenient for DNC to claim voting discrimination for civilian Ohioans who reside in Ohio and can vote on election day no problem simply by going to their local precinct and voting, Leaving in place 3 day early voting makes perfect sense for "active" duty military as they are reliant on the mail service to cast their ballot by election day.

You should educate youself about a topic before you comment on it...it will keep you from making silly statements like this.

This is all about early IN PERSON voting...so no one would be relying on the mailing service for this. This has nothing to do with absentee ballots.

Obama wants EVERYONE...not just the Military to be able to have the 3 extra days to cast their vote early...in person.

So...now I am assuming that you are going to be outraged with Romney since he is trying to suppress votes from American citizens...right???

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

WTF!?!? The CONSTITUTION... you may remember is the document upon which ALL laws are built, states that voting is reserved for the first Tuesday in November. To accomodate those who cannot make it to the polls, Absentee Voter laws were passed. A logical exception would be active military who do not have simple access to either Absentee Voter Ballots or the polls themsleves. Laziness is NOT an excuse for failing to cast your ballot on the proscribed day. Neither is "Convenience".

Democrat motto: Vote early and vote often!

You too...educate yourself.

This law is not about absentee voting.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
reply to post by TsukiLunar

The number of precincts and voting places ordained by your states legislature has no bearing on the national scene, vote for a different rep at the state level who will fix this for you - maybe they can even give you an auto-vote feature where you don't even ever have to show up to vote.

Opps, reality kicked in you must be a voting minority where others don't seem to have a problem and you want the "national federal government" to fix this for you.

Sounds like sorelosermanship to me in many ways.

edit on 6-8-2012 by Phoenix because: spelling

Uh huh, and are they doing that?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mithrawept

Ummm, this is a huge issue, not a side issue. It will affect millions of peoples ability to vote.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

Originally posted by Domo1
Someone explain this gently to me. Why is it an issue if only active military is allowed an extra few days? I thought the point in allowing that was so that they had time to get the votes in from wherever they are. My brain feels like jelly today. I blame the heat.

The current law in Ohio allows for EVERYONE to vote early. Romney and Co. are backing a change to that law that would prevent all of those early votes, sans active military. The Obama Administration is suing to block the change.

All people should be allowed to vote early if anyone is - otherwise it can be used as a mechanism to discourage certain demographics from voting; mostly the poor and elderly (democrats).

Let's just all agree that NEITHER PARTY IS GOOD FOR THE UNITED STATES and get along.

IMO the meat and potatoes of this issue is that the Romney Campaign is spinning this as if Obama is attacking the rights of the military, when in fact he is defending (for political reasons, of course) the rights of all Americans, or rather, Ohioans.
edit on 6-8-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

For anyone who didn't get it from reading or self-research, the post quoted above is correct, yet both Reps and Dems keep getting it wrong. Oh, and the bit about neither party being good for the U.S. Is right to, but that's just my opinion as someone with a brain.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

OK, IN PERSON, as you say,

Although I really doubt thats the intent, no cherry picking right? So a soldier on duty on voting day through no choice of his own cannot vote? But free citizens with a choice of how they conduct their schedule and business are disenfranchised how?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

reply to post by OutKast Searcher

OK, IN PERSON, as you say,

Although I really doubt thats the intent, no cherry picking right? So a soldier on duty on voting day through no choice of his own cannot vote? But free citizens with a choice of how they conduct their schedule and business are disenfranchised how?

What do you mean you doubt that's the intent...that is exactly the intent.

Obama is all for giving them 3 extra days prior to the election to vote...in fact they already have that under the current law...all Ohio residents have that right.

The Republicans are trying to take that right away from all residents EXCEPT active duty military...Obama and the Dems are just saying to keep it that way for ALL residents.

So we have a situation here where current law is that EVERYONE can vote early...Republicans want to change so only active military has this privledge...and Obama is saying "let's keep it so everyone can"...and Romney says "Obama doesn't want Military to vote early"...and you bought it.

So...do you have a problem with allowing the current law stand and allow all residents to vote early???

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

reply to post by TsukiLunar

The number of precincts and voting places ordained by your states legislature has no bearing on the national scene, vote for a different rep at the state level who will fix this for you - maybe they can even give you an auto-vote feature where you don't even ever have to show up to vote.

Opps, reality kicked in you must be a voting minority where others don't seem to have a problem and you want the "national federal government" to fix this for you.

Sounds like sorelosermanship to me in many ways.

edit on 6-8-2012 by Phoenix because: spelling

Uh huh, and are they doing that?

Guess not

Obvious conclusion: They don't care about encouraging voters.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

WTF!?!? The CONSTITUTION... you may remember is the document upon which ALL laws are built, states that voting is reserved for the first Tuesday in November. To accomodate those who cannot make it to the polls, Absentee Voter laws were passed. A logical exception would be active military who do not have simple access to either Absentee Voter Ballots or the polls themsleves. Laziness is NOT an excuse for failing to cast your ballot on the proscribed day. Neither is "Convenience".

Democrat motto: Vote early and vote often!

Where people get the ridiculous idea that you can vote often, hence the turn of phrase, is beyond me. Sure, looong ago you could get away with it.but that's been a thing of the past for years.

I prefer to vote in person, as do most people, but the regular voting times are designed to discourage those with jobs from voting. The hours for my polling place conveniently match the transit time and work hours of myself and the majority of working people. If anything, in-person voting should be done on a weekday as well as a weekend day, and not only during the worst possible hours (in many places, 7am-7PM.) I'm typically more interested in local voting than the bigger federal contests, because not only does my vote mean more, but different things can actually happen moreso than with the Demopublicans in DC, but I've often been thwarted, and know now that my demographic is essentially discouraged from in-person voting, so I have to vote absentee.

Just open it up to a weekday and a weekend, and have hours outside of normal work hours. Make polling place work a requirement of welfare checks in a lottery system if that's what it takes to get all the shifts covered. It is absolutely deplorable that middle-class workers are marginalized in this way. With my old job, I worked 9:30-3:30, and had almost 6 weeks of annual vacation time. Now I work 7a-6p with a 45-minute commute each way. If I'm lucky and traffic is good and lines are short, I can make it on time before polls close, but its doubtful. And further, we're well into the computer age. There's no acceptable reason we can't use a polling place close to work.

My guess is, most Democratic nations have better, more open polling rules in place. I'll be off to research how low we rank in that category, and I'm willing to bet its a big part of the reason senior citizens vote in such high percentages compared to working people.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Awh cmon, the Dems just want to give their supporters the chance to vote often...oops I mean early. Tom Foolery and Shenani Gans can't get there on the appointed day, but they can 2 or 3 days before.

Seriously, if someone requires early voting (other than absentee ballots by those overseas or in the military), they should be able to provide an excuse as to why. ie: "The care cab is only available on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at my nursing home. No Tuesday service and I'm not allowed to drive anymore because I am legally blind. Please let me cast my vote today." Or "You see these screws and bolts sticking out of my leg? Yeah, they are taking them out first thing Tuesday morning and I won't be able to make it to the polls due to the anesthesia. Here's the surgery appointment. Please let me vote today."
An official at the polling station should be able to allow or deny based on certain criteria. Then it can be deemed a humane gesture and not an inane one.

I can't stand those that say "well if the military are allowed to do it, so should everyone else". This ain't the USSR yet where everyone is entitled to the exact same things as everyone else regardless of merit, and it's not some toddler romper room where "that's not fair" is the most common heard phrase, grow up.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Its like 5 yrs in jail if you commit voter fraud. Dem or not, who cares that much?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by primus2012

Can you show evidence of voter fraud convictions in the last 10 years?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
As long as you keep voting nothing will change. You are participating in a system run by criminals. Voting is a fraud. Your government a fraud. Religion a fraud also. Economy also a fraud. Why do you let them make fools out of you?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Here is the real story: thinkprogress.org...< br />

edit on 6-8-2012 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorKarma

Lol, I almost, almost thought you were serious.

Why you delete post? It not funny?
edit on 6-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
This whole thing is just another distraction to get everyone riled up, and BOTH sides are turning the spin dial up to 11 on this. But you know the closer we get to the election the more of this trash is going to be flying around everywhere and no matter which side wins we get a dimwit for a president.

Thanks for playing now go back to sleep.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by elcapitano75
This whole thing is just another distraction to get everyone riled up, and BOTH sides are turning the spin dial up to 11 on this. But you know the closer we get to the election the more of this trash is going to be flying around everywhere and no matter which side wins we get a dimwit for a president.

Thanks for playing now go back to sleep.

No its not, its apart of the republican partys political agenda to repress the vote, every time a republican becomes the governor, next comes voter purge lists and voter ID, its criminal and it needs to stop.

If you can't win on merit

If you can't win pouring tons of money into elections

If the only way you know how to win is by voter suppression

Perhaps you should re think the product your trying to sell the American public!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The left- We need three days for everyone because dead people and illegals have a hard time voting, plus we won't know which districts to stuff the ballot boxes.

The right- We need to limit the time the left hasto cheat, so we'll use active duty folks. (quick, wave a flag)

Speaking from a military perspective, left, right, don't do us any favours. We have calanders and absentee voter paperwork. (go to your mailroom if your first shirt hasn't already gotten it for you)
Just give us the one day.

Also, I have to admitt, I do love thread titles like these.

I'm trying to find a story that'll fit the title. . .

"Democrats; Satans Minions or Nazi Clones".

(oh how I love the silly season!
)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Beezer, voter fraud is punishable by 5 yrs in jail. It is not just something people "do" on a whim or in an organized fashion. Republican or Democrat, its a pretty stupid and ultimately pointless thing to do. And it is pretty rare to begin with.

"Democrats; Satans Minions or Nazi Clones"

The democratic party is not a high school rock-band or an illegal cloning experiment. That's just mean.

edit on 6-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join